From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Sounds like the forklift business. a little dumb but I really like it now.

GarrettRick likes this.
  2. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I'm a man of means, by no means...

4. Boman Forklift

Don't let that bother you. I started looking in 99 and didn't actually close on a deal until August 05. I was actually in escrow to buy a motorcycle business in Beaumont California. The local Yamaha, Polaris, Kawasaki, Honda dealer. It was a really good deal and the guy that owned it, retired from the pharma industry and moved to California and bought this shop. He had it for around 5 years and the Pharma really wanted him back. So they offered him so much stock he had to go. I was going to get it for nothing, compared to the forklift company I did buy, and he was going to finance part of it. During the due diligence, the numbers were changing every time I asked for a copy, and I didn't know what I didn't know. I got worried maybe I was getting screwed. In reality, now that I own a business, I realize he wasn't doing anything wrong. It was a smoking deal.

It would have been good for awhile, but 08 killed the bike industry and I'm glad I didn't do it. It's just when you are taking most of your savings, and also pulling a bunch of money out of your house, to slap your balls on the table and WISH/HOPE, it is a bit scary.

Good Luck

I did look at a trucking company that sounded great in the advertisement. After a couple meetings and getting deep into the numbers, they were loosing their butts, unlike what the adjusted net stated in the advertisement. Maybe not brokering, but I think running a transportation business, always squeezed by fuel costs and regulation, would be a tough business.

ducnut and BigBird like this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG]

dtalbott likes this.
  6. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Well, after a year off on work comp with two surgeries, I'm back driving.

Doesn't look like the stupid went away while I was at home.

5axis, ducnut, scottn and 5 others like this.
  7. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

We have a large Pepsi distributor next to the office. Their dock is on the other side of the park and everyday, multiple drivers block the road and do a u-turn to go back despite a really nice roundabout, big enough for semi's, and a corresponding sign that says do not block the road.

dtalbott likes this.
  8. dtalbott

We're truck drivers. We'll block whatever we want to block to back in.

Misunderstood.

They are missing the turn? Maybe Pepsi needs a bigger sign for their entrance.

9. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Dang dude ... sorry you had to go through that. Glad to hear what sounds like a full recovery.

dtalbott likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Welcome back! Hopefully you feel better than ever!

dtalbott likes this.
  11. dtalbott

Thanks.

The shoulder is probably 80%, maybe a bit more. The knee replacement is probably 70-75%. I'm still working both for more strength. Neither has complained too much when I've had to climb in and out of trailers, so I'll take that as a success.

12. dtalbott

Thanks. Good to be back.

BigBird likes this.
  13. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Since you been gone,I handed in my steering wheel.Im now a dietary manager.I honestly don't really miss it that much.
    Im one of only 4 men in the hospital,and tons of fruity bitchy women to watch backstab each other! A new rig,and condo sleeper
    could prolly bring me back.Hope you feel better soon,and keep the dirty side down! and lot lizards out! :D Keep reporting in!:flag:

14. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Dietary manager? Please elaborate.

15. ToofPic

My girl got me in with her people,and they paying for my school.My preceptor is our big boss,and she takes care of me
    so to speak.I do admits,and care conferences daily with patients,then put it in computer.Lots of meetings with families,
    and diet diagnosis and talking to disgusting physical therapists,and nurses.:D
    I wish I would have done this 30 yrs ago.
    California has a whole system,and dieticians fall right in there with patient care,and pays waay better than I ever made.My dumbass
    even has a desk :D..Seriously..I never knew I had a knack for this,but I have been told Im good at it?o_O squirrel finds nut!

ducnut, Pride & Joy, scottn and 5 others like this.
  16. Boman Forklift

Wow, so with almost no training, you are an expert, and make more than you did driving a truck for all those years?

I wonder if they hire old school bus drivers?

ducnut and ToofPic like this.
  17. ToofPic

I've been here before yrs ago,and did volunteer work back in Ga. for my gf.I worked dietary when I was a youngun.. The pay? Absolutely better than anything I ever made driving! Our part time dog shit dietician makes $45 hr.,and she's dumber than a sack of farts. When you wanna start?? :D Thats probably not great money out here,but for me it is!

ducnut and 418 like this.
  18. Boman Forklift

That's 100k a year, and I think that is great money. I have a mechanic that makes that much with me, but he works some overtime to hit that number. My new superstar salesman, said he was making over $100k a year, and I'm paying him a little more than where he was before, and I have a lot more inventory to sell from..........so we will see if he hits it out of the park, like I hope, or whiffs.

ducnut, BigBird and ToofPic like this.
  19. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Every time I calculate my hourly pay for pouring drinks versus when I used to drive a truck, I kick myself for doing it for so long. All that stress and responsibility for half of what I make now. I do miss being alone all day though. Good for you getting out of it and finding a good job.

20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

With the upcoming UAW strike, I’m going to be looking at alternatives. My employer doesn’t do much else, besides haul for the auto industry. Bad deal.

ToofPic likes this.