Define "No Inside Passing" for trackdays

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by Former, Mar 3, 2010.

1. BrianR6

BrianR6 Well-Known Member

i give up

2. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

Wow Monte, when was the last time you ran a riders meeting that I was at???? You got some sort of copy rights on this stuff???

Wow, 1000's of track days and very limited experience with the beginner setting??

I spend time with all levels and in the novice/beginner setting the no passing in the turns rule, minimizes the chances of multi bike get offs. Allowing someone to pass on the outside in the novice group is still not insuring that the inside rider being passed is going to hold his/her line! If they drift out, your going to have issues. Unless its a small group, no passing in the turns for the novice group is the smartest move IMHO.

While I agree that the majority of get offs are single bike, the ones that you hear about are one rider taking the other out, or worst the track day organizer taking someone out!:rolleyes:

3. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Read again Pete....and you'll see that I said that I have limited experience with passing in corners in a Novice/Beginner setting because at Sportbike Track Time we do not allow it. This has been our Policy since 1998 when I started as Sylvania Track Days at Sylvania Superbike in Ohio so it only makes sense that I would not be able to relate much experience on passing in corners in Novice/Beginner settings.

4. STT-Rider

I think that last time was at Barber at a May event.... maybe four years ago.

No Copyright Pete, heck one TD org actually video recorded it and uses it almost in its entirety and I gave them permission to do it (as I would anyone, if they were kind enought to ask).

A good riders meeting is fun, informative and hopefully sets the tone for a good day.

5. XACT-Man

Point taken on the novice passing, mis-understood you.

I never recall you doing the riders meeting, Mark did, none the less, yes you have some good stuff in the STT riders meetings, but I've learned a bit on my own, have ridden with plenty of orgs, in the midwest, east, southeast and in cali too along with my younger days of racing.

6. STT-Rider

You racing this season at all? I'd love to but I'm afraid I would get the "bug" and go broke.

7. XACT-Man

Might give it a go next year, have to see how the $$ goes.

8. JimboC

JimboC Well-Known Member

Next time I go on the track from pit out Ill remember that boss. :D
    You sure you don't want me to look back and see whats coming?:Poke:

9. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

It's the track marshal's job to let you out on a clear track. It's the rider's job to look where they're going. That is all.

10. JimboC

JimboC Well-Known Member

no It is the riders responsibility to merge into traffic and it is taught in every Novice classroom. There are three times to look over. Entering the hot pit, Going onto the track at the beginning of a session and anytime after you come through the hot pit back on the track. If you are going to come on to a hot track and not look to see if i am coming through a curve at speed I don't want you coming on the track!!!
    And that is all :D

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:up:

12. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Looking over to maintain situational awareness, yes. Looking directly behind while entering a hot track? No. :up:

13. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Jennings T2-T3 area comes to mind as well. It is a straight when people talk about it, but it is one HUGE long sweeper.

14. XACT-Man

Yep and a ton of passing goes on there.

15. kazbanz

kazbanz Yea gidday

Dude you are seriously splitting hairs
    Ok How about this then
    ONCE ON THE TRACK (as oposed to in any part of the pits)
    Novice riders do not look back -period.
    The pit area runs under normal road rules.-pit area is right up untill you cross the line onto the track propper.

The need for the rule should be pretty clear if you've ever been in amongst a bunch of novices with a student.

Actually I'd love it if the one and only rule needed was
    "USE COMMON SENSE"

16. XACT-Man

Sadly, that is usually what is left at the gate and the big egos come into the track!

17. kazbanz

kazbanz Yea gidday

Mate I gotta tell ya . Thats pretty universal the world over.

18. JimboC

JimboC Well-Known Member

:up:

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

with big egos come fast lap times!!! :D

20. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

So you guys are saying I can pass/chop the front wheel off someone, as long as I'm doing it from the outside?

:D