Define "No Inside Passing" for trackdays

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by Former, Mar 3, 2010.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Another thing to remember on this:
    It is the passing rider's responsibility to make a safe pass, I assume that there was a corner prior to this where one of you was in front of the other, so one of you is passing down the straight and was unable to complete the pass before the corner. The person that didn't complete the pass safely before the turn in, should probably back down, imho.

2. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Well, here's an issue. If all tracks where nothing but defined straights and turns, that would be easy. But what about modern tracks that have flowing sections?

Here's a sample of NJMP Lightning. All of the red areas are not curves, green areas are straight:

[​IMG]

This is a track where the curves are so long and undefined, that it's tough to absolutely define where the turn begins and ends. In this case, cones are the only way to be absolutely sure.

3. Brutus

Brutus Well-Known Member

That's exactly how it is.... :up:

4. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

At STT we allow outside passing only in our novice group and that is exceedingly simple. You cannot pass on the side that is the same direction the lean of the bike in front is tipped in to... that is ALWAYS the inside.

5. STT-Rider

its not always as black and white as some here would like to think is it Rich? Grattan has a back straight that isnt straight at all similar to NJMSP.

6. STT-Rider

Youŕe never stuck.....bottom line is you were unable to make the pass prior to the corner and you need to back off and let him have the corner...IMO. Its not a race.

7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

that pretty much sums it up.....

8. trackpimp

trackpimp TrackDaz dude

To add to that point too.. You shouldn't get frustrated by being unable to get by someone.. Example is you are close to the same speed as the rider in front of you. You're on a 600, and the other rider is on a 1000. Its really easy to exit the track at the end of a lap, come into pre-grid for a couple of seconds, and get back out on track with a clear track in front of you.

9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

:up:
    :beer:
    :clap:

FUGGIN-A MONTE!!!!!!!!

10. twowheelz

twowheelz Well-Known Member

Exactly. Good call Dustin! This is why I ride with trackdaz.

11. kazbanz

kazbanz Yea gidday

My view is Once is always concidered to be a genuine error.
    beyond that is stupidity.
    The exception (I don't know if you guys have em) is a lines bike working with a student

12. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

I guess it's all complicated and grey......still simple in my book, if your backing off and getting on the brakes to tip it in, it's too late wait for the next chance. My point was that at this point, which may truly not be the begining of a turn technically, you should back off and wait for the next opportunity on a straight, hence it doesn't matter where the turn starts technically.

Gee isn't this what I pretty much already stated, O' I forgot your so much better then everyone else at this......:rolleyes:

13. Allthatflash

Allthatflash Well-Known Member

Racing is one thing it's your job! a trackday is something totally different and therefore if you come up to someone and have to back off the gas to let him have the line is called a common courtesy to your fellow rider, because there is no pay day or trophy when the day is done.

14. antirich

Yea, I think that's more of the polite approach, and I wouldn't be that much against it. But what about the guy on the big bike who brakes with his knee down a mile before the brake markers? I know we've all seen this type, and they're very frustrating to pass.

I'm not a huge fan of TPM, but I gotta admit, their 'cones define corners' rule was hard to argue against.

Maybe if we all played nice out there and checked our egos once in a while, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

15. kazbanz

kazbanz Yea gidday

When Im asked that question (usually by someone who's just been blackflagged off the track) the answer is twofold.
    1) he/she paid their money to be on the track so has as much right to be there as you.
    2)Today isn't about racing so if they were frustrating you do a pass through the pits so you come out in clear track.
    (I don't know if that happens over there)

16. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner here! Yes unfortunately not everyone checks their ego's at the gate and they don't play nice, my answer to that is bring it to a CR/instructor/coach and this will be brought to who's running the show. Normally when this happens to me, a simple logical conversation resolves this matter, but when it doesn't and it infringes on others deliberately, it's time for THAT rider to pack their bags.

I feel it has to be an enjoyable event for all riders, novice, intermediate and advanced. A basic understanding amongst riders is important and should be addressed in a riders meeting, if anyone does have a problem to make sure they bring it right to the track day mgmt. ;)

17. STT-Rider

Rich, I have been track riding a long time and I have yet to see a guy on a big bike (or any other...) who can brake straight up and down with a knee down. THAT would take skill.

18. trackpimp

trackpimp TrackDaz dude

The guy that does that could probably charge for the show!

19. JimboC

JimboC Well-Known Member

Knee out I am assuming LMAO

20. antirich

I'm thinking of riders that put way too much focus on getting their knee out, and start sticking it out in anticipation before the turn.

Let me rephrase it: Picture someone (typical hyper bike) that floors it on the straights, getting spooked about the turn coming up. A mile before the turn, they stand it up and brake with the butt off the seat waiting for the turn well before the brake markers. In other words, WAY too much preparation that happens way too soon.

In a sense, they're getting the bike ready for the turn while others pile up behind. I would prefer to just brake deeper on the brakes, but that would be passing him as he's ready to turn.