1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Define "No Inside Passing" for trackdays

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by Former, Mar 3, 2010.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

This is why I love my '03 R1 for track days. It has enough motor I can usually get by if I am faster than them. I should add that if someone on a "slower" bike passes me, I don't just motor back around them at the next straight. They are obviously faster than me somewhere, so I would rather ride behind them and try to learn from them if I can stay with them. Plus the last person I want behind me at a track day is someone that really wants to be in front of me and might do something stupid the next time they pass me.

2. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Two pearls of wisdom in there that everyone should read...twice! Great post.

3. STT-Rider

Also known as Swoopers....

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

not just at trackdays...seen it up close in an endurance - no incident but damn close. i didn't have time to see who it was, otherwise there would've been a post-stint conversation with someone about it, just as an fyi.
    it's happened on tv, too...created an incident. it was a very slight "rally turn", almost just an hesitation but, the offender got collected up by the passer and both went down.

5. Dezy

Dezy Well-Known Member

Ya gotta the "Trucker Turn":clap:

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

One of your group captains in Novice asked my class, "is anyone here married, dating, or riding home in the same vehicle? Yes? Ok - you two are NOT in the same group... We had two guys who came together one time, and one of them took the other one out in the 2nd session. They had a 6 hour drive home. Trust us on this."

By the afternoon, they were 'allowed' to ride together. All in all, I thought it was a good call for true novices.

7. fastfreddie

would you allow an advanced rider to step down to coach/instruct "new to sportbikes" and "intermediate skills" friends?

8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

As long as they sign up for that group and are not getting paid I dont see a problem....

9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

As long as they sign up for that group (Intermediate) and are not getting paid I dont see a problem....If in the Novice group then yes there might be a problem if they wouldnt follow the STT cirriculum.. If they want to run A and I then it wouldnt be fair to the other people if its a sold out event...

10. fastfreddie

just read STT's Novice Group Approach...can i sign up for that? :)

i brought my "new to sportbikes" friend to summit for his first trackday...he rode my gsxr750. this was just to get his feet wet, no structured tutelage. he rode around at his own pace and i just kept an eye on him and offered line choices.
    then i took him to vir for a level I with CSS...he rode a school bike. i wasn't able to watch him(was doin' my own thang) but, after the fact, there were a lot of questions and comments and i noticed things outside of the curriculum that would've helped his progress had we known about them at the time.
    my only interest in knowing what he'll be taught is so he has someone to "de-brief" with during and afterwards...i have no intentions of interfering with the program's delivery or its message.
    would that be acceptable?

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Shouldnt be a problem at all unless Monte or Mark says otherwise...

12. STT-Rider

Can you be more specific, I don't quite understand your question.

I'm going to take a stab at answering what I think you asked. If you are a Advanced rider you can register for Intermediate group and work with a friend who is an I group rider as long as you are not a distraction and as long as you follow the I group rules. This is not allowed in our Novice group.

A "new to Sportbikes" rider needs to register for our Novice group.

13. fastfreddie

i guess it's boiled down to whether i could be an observer of my friend's participation in the novice class as i understand that coaching outside of your novice curriculum wouldn't be allowed. so, hell, you can teach me, too. i just want to know what he's gonna know so we can both be on the same page when we talk about it afterwards. plus, i wanted to keep a track's eye view on him to see how he put the lessons to use.

the only distractions i could see in either case is that i'd be following the tail of my novice friend, exclusively, except when a track coach cuts in to do their thing.
    the intermediate friend would be both led and followed.
    these distractions would present themselves to the other riders as two guys riding around together, consistantly.
    too much?

14. Former

Former Well-Known Member

Damn that's a good post! :up:

15. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

My recommendation would be to come out and ride in the group you're most comfortable in, enjoy yourself and have a good time. Chances are, your friends will, as well. While we certainly don't have a rule against it, I personally don't think that it's a good idea for someone to coach another rider with whom they have an emotional investment in, whether it is friendship, kinship or a romantic involvement. Ultimately, both riders get too caught up in the outcome and something gets lost in the translation, the rider being coached may get nervous and the rider coaching may become frustrated that things aren't working the way they feel it should. Both may end up forgetting that the reason that they're both there is to have fun. It doesn't always happen like this, but I've seen it often enough, especially when a guy tries to coach his wife or child. Just let the coaches do our job and concentrate on having fun! :up:
    If you'd like to sit in on the classroom, come talk to us at registration in the morning and we might be able to accommodate you. either way, come introduce yourself and say hi- I'm hard to miss; I'm a full head above nearly everyone else in the paddock.

16. fastfreddie

you missed the point. i'm offering my friends exclusive one-on-one coaching and looking for a place to do it. no money exchanging hands, no drama, just good times makin' for better times.

17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Well in that case I would let them get their own time in Novice then you could do what you want in Intermediate (As long as they are up to pace) Per the Novice rules. If you do this we would only ask that you dont look behind you or throw hand signals.. It can distract other riders as you know...

18. STT-Rider

You can sit in on the Novice class anytime, as can anyone. However, we do not allow anyone but the Novice participants and Novice Coaches to ride on-track in the Novice group.

As far as outside coaching in the intermediate group, I don't think I missed you point al all..... If you are a Advanced rider you can register for Intermediate group and work with a friend who is an I group rider as long as you are not a distraction and as long as you follow the I group rules. pretty much covers it. I cannot comment on if the two guys riding together is a distraction until it happens. Make sense?

19. fastfreddie

if i'm to continue his education, it'd be nice to know what he'll be taught. so, i'm back to post #133 except, to clarify, i meant that i would be a paying novice participant.

edit: didn't catch your post before i spit this one out. so, that's a no on me in the novice?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  20. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Im pretty sure what he is saying is, as long as you pay for an intermediate spot, abide by the intermediate rules, and understand that intermediate is the only place you'll ride all day, then yes, you can ride with your buddy in intermediate.