1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Ford f250 gasser

Discussion in 'General' started by casjoker, Jul 7, 2017.

1. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Anyone have one of these yet? I like the looks of the new Fords and it seems like the gasser engine is getting decent towing mileage but can't decide between a gas or diesel. $9,000-11,000 price difference between the two engines buys a lot of fuel!

I have only towed with a 06 Duramax and a 12 Tundra and 16 GMC 1500...I can tell you a 1/2 ton truck sucks balls towing anything more than my jon boat!

I have a 7x16 enclosed trailer and a 27-foot camper (5000lbs empty) that I will be towing every other weekend 200-400 miles and then one big summer trip of about 2000 miles per year.

Trying to convince myself getting the 2017 Ford f250 gas engine is the way to go but with that Duramax, at times I would forget I was towing a 33' trailer.

2500 GM gas is out, dad had one and I hated it
    Never been a Dodge fan and the gas engine is weak. The Cummings is interesting because of the price point.

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I've got a 2017 350. I hardly tow anything. Seems fine when I do, though. Haven't the slightest clue about towing mileage.

@grady anderson just got one too, and I think he said he tows daily.

3. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

The truck will tow 8-10K without problems but you will know it's back there. You will get somewhat better mileage towing and you'll be towing 10K a year at least. Also remember you'll get most, if not all the diesel premium back when you sell.

roy826ex likes this.
  4. casjoker

I used to feel that way about the extra cost of the diesel when it was a $6000 buy in but not as sure about that at $10000ish additional cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Duramax:bow:

Stay away from the gas burner regardless of who makes it or has a good selling line of lies of what it will do.

Knotcher likes this.
  6. roy826ex

You must not tow much over 1500 lbs then. Diesel makes a difference and is worth the extra cost.

7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Enterprise Trucks rents 3/4 tons. And allows towing. Rent one, and use it in the real world for a weekend. Few hundred bucks to use it like you would if you owned it.

I've been doing that as I'm looking for a new truck. I can say that between the gasser Dodge 2500 and the Ford gasser 250, the Ford is a much, much better puller. Overall, the differences between them from the driver's seat are minimal, but the Ford is a better working truck.

I'm going to move into the diesels next and try them out.

RED675, MELK-MAN and casjoker like this.
  8. roy826ex

Plus the Duramax comes with the Allison transmission :D

No brainer really...

9. casjoker

I do and that's why I hate the 1/2 ton trucks. Never messed with the 2500 gas trucks. Yes, diesels pull like stink put wasn't prepared for the $10,000 extra they seem to cost new.

10. roy826ex

Well it's worth every penny in the beginning and end.

11. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

Not daily though a lot in the last month
    Reset the dash to check
    12.6-13.2 not towing
    9.6-11.2towing
    22' Featherlite enclosed with three bikes

12. casjoker

Is that f350 diesel? I get 8-9 mpg towing a 27' keystone light with my 1/2...works like hell doing it here in east TN...hills are its enemy!

13. roy826ex

Haha

18-19 daily to work often see 20 but I won't count that rare dart.
    20-21 on the Hwy not towing but bed full with two bikes. Never been anywhere empty, it's a truck I haul and tow, don't car tour in it.
    11-12 towing a 30' TH at 70 on cruise and don't even know it's back there. I'd go faster but the trailer tires are the weak link not the truck.
    High 19s towing a kendon trailer with two bikes at 75 ALL day long. I'd go faster but the little trailer wheels would explode. Mileage prolly wouldn't be affected even 10 mph higher.

Hell with gas I'll never go back unless it's in a civic.

14. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I towed with a f250 gas engine up to new jersey and back pulling a 6x12, averaging around 12 mpg according to the computer. On the highway empty it averaged 15mpg

15. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

Keep in mind resale value. Imagine trying to sell a used F250 gasser. Probably not an easy sale.

Go Duramax.

16. casjoker

Anyone have the newer Cummings? Dealer here has several tradesmen level diesels advertised for $45,000.

lanehammond likes this.
  17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

But it's also an old chassis. Other than some cosmetic updates, the GM is the oldest of the three brands isn't it.

18. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Diesel is a no brainer with your mileage, load, and trips. You should be able to get a Cummins Tradesman cheaper than that and possibly into the high 30's. I'm a Ford Fanboy but they're raping people 10k over everyone else simply for the alum body that many of their customers will never see the long term benefit of in vehicle degradation. Cummins with a Aisin automatic or manual is the way to go.

19. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Lol okay. They've been going for high thirties easy for 5 year old models in good shape. I look every day as I'm in the market for a new truck.

Some of you diesel guys kill me, you're every bit as bad as the 'I'll never ride anything but a <insert foolish brand loyalty here>' crowd.

I drive my <gasp> 1/2 ton GMC all over the Midwest hauling a 7x14 enclosed, I hauled a classic truck on a car trailer from Oklahoma to Wisconsin with it with no issues, and it totes my boat around all summer with no problems.

Diesels have their place. But the whole if you ever haul anything you need one bullshit is ridiculous. And the resale thing - sure, it's higher. And it fucking should be after the thousands you've dumped in it after an injector shit the bed, or some other diesel nonsense that costs the same to repair as dropping a new motor into a gasser.

G2G, SWAT_Spyder76, Rob860 and 2 others like this.
  20. lanehammond

lanehammond Well-Known Member

This is the route I went highway miles 20-23 nothing in the bed.
    with my 24 ft enclosed anywhere from 12-16