1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Ford f250 gasser

Discussion in 'General' started by casjoker, Jul 7, 2017.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Mine? No. I didn't feel the need for it either.

2. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Have owned multiple Ram 1500s but moved to an f250 diesel when I owned a 25ft toy hauler that was 8500 lbs loaded. Towing capabilities were great, but that's where the fun ended. This was also a daily driver, and all the bs that went into keeping that diesel running was nothing short of silly. Don't let the truck run out of fuel or you'll have a cab off repair. Check the fuel water separator every fill up. Make sure you're using diesel clean in every tank. Keep driving while dpf cleaning cycle is running, even if you're pulling into your driveway. Oil changes take 15 quarts.

Ultimately I sold the truck after only two months and got another Ram. If I were towing commercially or was towing a load beyond the capacity of a half ton the diesel might have been worth the extra hassles.

3. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

And your point? It's a rock solid chassis so why change it for the sake of yelling it's new. I'd rather have proven than some of this newest stuff that has not proved to be any better.

4. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

You summed up your diesel problems in one word, Ford.

All of your problems I have never experienced. As for the old maintenance card everyone likes to play my oil changes are actually cheaper than those gas burners requiring expensive synthetic oils. I have to change a Fuel filter every 10-20k and that's it. Regens do not require me to do anything. If it's in one pulling in the garage so what it'll resume once I get going again. You just bought the wrong diesel truck.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

While I like the GM's, especially the GMC's, the older chassis leaves a few things to consider. It's heavier and more flexible than what's to come, lower tech, and will probably depreciate more because an all new model will be out sooner.

It's petty stuff, but still exists.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Never had an issue with Fords. They're great until you start tweaking them.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How were you able to experience any of those "hassles" in only two months of ownership?

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  8. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

When I shopped around in 2015 for mine there were new crew cab 2500s with the Cummins in the Tradesman trim for $40-41k, mostly in the VA and NC area.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I have a couple friends that do. OTD price on them has been in that area or a few grand cheaper. Pretty solid deal considering the ridiculous cost of luxury pickups.

10. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

There's a reason the majority of diesel trucks on the road are Fords. Because they are the best option out there overall.

I've been abusing them since my first 7.3 and had an 06-6.0, now I've got an 11 350.

The dodge is great if you can get it with a Chevy or Ford cab because the dodge falls apart around the engine.

The Chevy with duramax was once the most recalled truck of all time. Look it up. Just because it says "Allison" on the trans doesn't mean it's their "good shit". I've seen more friends with their duramax in the shop getting that "Allison" redone after pulling much less than the advertised weight.

As far as pulling, fuck a gasser. The simple fact that they downshift themselves to pieces after even approaching a hill or making a 70mph pass sucks.

11. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

If I go with a brand new truck I am probably going to get a pretty basic trim level. I have had maxed out options before and never use 90% of it. Back up camera, Bluetooth and AC is all I really need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

There's more Fords than Cummins on the road? That has to be the joke of the day :Poke:

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm with Scotty on this.

I renovated about 30 Hardee's in Georgia and Alabama over a two year period. My truck is a Nissan Titan. I would load a 7x14 trailer so full that I could hardly close the door and my bed would be full of stuff damn near to the top of the cab. My rear wheels were almost touching the inner well. Had to cross over the hills of Chattanooga every time. Truck never missed a beat.

What the heck are some of you towing, 53' semi loads:D

14. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I could tow my trailer with a gasser but it would be no fun and mpgs would be absolutely horrible, probably get 5 mpgs at the most.

15. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I guess we want to tow and load stuff where our fenders and tires aren't touching the wheel wells...

You can load up your fully loaded Toyota and trailer onto a lowboy and my 350 will tow that too and drop mpg by about 1.5

masshole and rd400racer like this.
  16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Good point. I didn't have a choice :D

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'm going to pull my kids' radio flyer wagon with the diesel dually today just because, you know, stinkfuel. :D

kiggy74, TurboBlew and Robby-Bobby like this.
  18. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I observed something similar the guy had an f350 powerstroke dually pulling a 12' pop-up camper...guessing he worked for an Rv company but still major overkill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Bought it used with 30k miles. Nothing like pulling into your drive when "cleaning exhaust" pops up on the dash telling you to keep driving. Sure, you can stop if you want, in fact the truck is so generous that you can stop driving during the exhaust cleaning cycle as many as 3-4 times before the truck goes into limp mode and you have to go back to the dealership to clear the error.

I wish I had done more research on diesels before I'd bought mine. Would have saved a lot of hassle.

20. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Delete it problem solved