1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer Organization Ideas

Discussion in 'General' started by fonz82, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Finally picked up an enclosed this weekend. 6x12 non v-nose, but it's got a 3500lb torsion axle and radial tires, and is solid overall. For $1300 and located 5 minutes away from me I couldn't turn it down. The inside is pretty rough, however. I'm thinking about installing new luan over the walls and floor for a uniform surface. I may just replace the intire floor though, it's pretty bad in some areas and it'll give me an opportunity to paint/seal the bottom against road grime. Then I'll cover the walls with indoor / outdoor carpet, and possibly linoleum on the floor. The linoleum has me a little concerned though, I'm wondering if it'll get very slippery if it gets wet? Some of the new linoleum styles have a little bit of a texture to them which may negate that. The stuff I laid down in my bathroom is like this and it seems pretty non-slip.

I'm wondering a few things before I get started though:

Has anyone here installed rv type windows for ventilation? Instead of doing this, I was going to build a screen door for the side door and hanging heavy duty screen for the rear.

What about insulation? Anyone remove the side walls and install the foam sheets? I'm wondering if it would have much effect without doing the ceiling as well, and to that end I'm wondering how I'll affix plywood in the curved corners?

I'm looking forward to getting this thing started. Hey, any project that doesn't involve plumbing or landscaping is a good one in my book! :beer:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  2. HRC-E.B.

HRC-E.B. Well-Known Member

I did have an RV-type window installed in the door, replete with screen an everything. For ventilation purposes with the propane heater. Also allows me to open and shut the door from the inside, which is great.

I'll post pictures of my set-up shortly.

3. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

My 6x12.
    Just finished painting the walls and the shelves built in the V-nose.
    Looking for flooring ideas...

Attached Files:

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Congrats on your purchase. Armorflex is a great insulator, plus it bends easily. Lowes carries vinyl sheets that works well covering plywood. The screen door is a good idea. RV windows would work fine too. Good luck.

5. scorpion9r

scorpion9r The Irish Puerto Rican

2 of these at $280 a piece http://www.pit-bull.com/Merchant2/m...duct_Code=F0075AA--000&Category_Code=TSsuzuki

1 of these in black at $150 http://pitposse.com/srworkstation.html

1 of these in black at $260 http://pitposse.com/dipl72ovca.html

Flooring was about $350 and it was sold at our local home depot. Its not available I found out at all home depo's

Paint and primer was about $75

1 E-track was $15 for a 10 foot strip
    4 E- track ring strap I paid 9 bucks a piece but found it here for cheaper http://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/catalog/?category=103&product=328

Florescent lights with wiring and outlets was about $60

2 condor helmet hangers $20 a piece http://www.condor-lift.com/product.asp?ItemID=1019

I might actually use those to hang my chairs as the chairs I have are not the cheap ones that fold up in bags.

So $1710 total into the trailer without the cost of the trailer and the labor I put into it. BTW I would round it out to an even $2000 as I did not include shipping and or tax on stuff.

I hope this helps. I have been researching trailer stuff for about 12 months before I actually bout one. I wanted to do it right the first time. I could not afford something that Tom has as it is too big for me and out of my price range. I did everything kinda on a budget and stuff that will not fall apart on me after a couple of years. The first things I would do as soon as I buy a trailer is finish or paint the walls and get a flooring down. I can sweep and mop my floor so easy and it looks new after I do that. Its so easy to clean. Then one you get that doen the best bang for the buck are the pit bull restraints. It is so nice not having straps getting in the way and coming loose. I was going to buy a third one for the bike in the V nose but that is kinda like the extra spot if i need to bring a friend and I find it hard to spend another $300 for a parts that is not for my bike and also the pins that are used are unique to each bike so I would need a bunch of different ones since I hail a bunch of different friends bikes. So I just ended up buying one for me and my GF.[/QUOTE]

Hope this helps[/QUOTE]

What is the brand/model of that flooring?! Hopefully they sell it around here..

DOH!! If I could only read...Allure Waterproof Commercial Grade Garage Flooring with diamond plate look

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  6. HRC-E.B.

HRC-E.B. Well-Known Member

Where can I get tracks like those you've got on the walls to secure your stuff with tie-downs?

7. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

It's e-track. You can get it in 5' & 10' sections at just about any trailer supply store.

8. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

5 ft sections for 10 bucks at harbor freight!

9. scorpion9r

scorpion9r The Irish Puerto Rican

Post up a link..I looked and didn't see them. They had the e-track o rings..

10. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

couldn't find it on-line either but they had it in the store.

11. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Just finished my 6x12 V-nose

Small workbench in the V-nose. Gladiator rack for the pitbull stands and the cabinet. The AC unit is a Sharp portable which I can use in the house if I have to. I found it used on craigslist for $250.00 The AC hot air outlet is hooked up to the vent the trailer came with. Removeable Pingle wheel chocks and E-track from Harbor Freight. The Floor is non-skid floor paint from Wally World, $22 a gallon. I have the AC hooked up to a 20amp breaker and the lights on a 15 amp breaker. No problem for my Kipor 3000 generator. First time I ever messed with wiring and it probably shows but everything works....

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  12. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

nice rope lighting

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Regularguy your trailer looks good...very bright. What do you have on the walls and ceiling? :up:

14. random hero

random hero Banned

Have you guys noticed a big improvement when you paint the walls, cieling white? Your trailers seem so bright inside.

Regularguy... How does that portable A/C keep up with cooling duties, and is your trailer insulated?

15. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I insulated the ceiling then covered it with thin smooth plywood. The walls are exterior semi-gloss. The ceiling is white latex interior door and trim paint semi-gloss.

16. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I saw it at wally world and couldn't resist! I'm going to buy another section so it wraps all around. It's good for the night time with the flourescent lights off.

17. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I insulated the roof with the 1 inch styrofoam stuff made for the sides of houses, then covered it with thin smooth plywood. It makes a huge difference. The portable AC unit is 10,000 BTUs. It does the job no problem.

18. Scotty87

I hope to be able to give a before and after regarding paints and insulation pretty soon. I just gutted my trailer and insulated EVERY space available. Laying new subfloor tonight, then a workable floor covering (haven't decided yet) and the walls, some cabinets, etc. I hope to have it done in a week but that's doubtfull. It was in pretty rough shape so I have to rebuild all 3 doors, replace some lights, etc, etc before I get to the fun stuff.

19. Scotty87

Hey that reminds me to ask - anyone know where I can get a fairly large (like 30"x60") and thin (.030") sheet of diamond plate?

Like I said, I'm rebuilding the doors on my trailer and I think that would be a pretty cool look for the inside. I checked the usuals like online metals and McMaster but nothing that thin or big.

20. Country_boy_88

Country_boy_88 Well-Known Member

any local metal shop should be able to order it for you. Its highly unlikely you will find anything that thin though. thats what 21, or 22 guage? just get some 1/16th and be done with it