1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why doesn't God stop gun violence

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by turtlecreek, Dec 3, 2018.

1. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

Keep on pushing sysiphus.

2. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

You really like the fantasy shit don't you?

3. Timothy Landon

If you could reason with religious people there would be no religious people.

SnacktimeKC, SGVRider and Robby-Bobby like this.
  4. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Who’s pushing it on you? Don’t like the “fantasy” ... stay out of the thread. Some are able to carry on a discussion about it without being dickish.

5. Timothy Landon

Unlike you, I see. Don't like what I post. Don't read it. What's that saying - The pot calling the kettle black?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why doesn't god do this and why doesn't god do that and I'm an atheist so my opinion matters more than everyone else and . . . :mad:

Why would a God do anything to influence a society that is trying to prove he doesn't exist? I'd say he, she or it would do the opposite. Do nothing and see who still has faith.

7. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Unlike me? Where am I being a dick (until below)? I asked you a straight up question ... who is pushing it on you? You come into a thread about God to complain about a guy trying to answer your questions of him about his views on God, then complain about having God forced on you. And you think I’m the dick here?? And then you go get all butt-hurt when I point out that you’re being dickish by doing so. Solid take, genius. Solid. :rolleyes:

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And that has nothing to do with the conversation that led us here....

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Can't understand it - it makes no sense even if you do believe. So you're saying god punishes an innocent because of the sins of others. That is messed up and not remotely the loving god the new testament talks about. Jessus ain't that douchey.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, they're bros from different eras is about it :D

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yup.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Only if they've heard of Christianity tho - otherwise they're cool.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It absolutely removes it - if it's known then you must make that choice, therefore it's not free will.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FWIW - I like christianity and those who actually follow the good bits of the new testament for real. It's as good a roadmap on how to be a good person as any. If the belief that god is good and god still allows kids to get cancer works for you then that's honestly fine too. It just doesn't for me. It has been a fun discussion but as it's going nowhere, y'all have fun with it :D

15. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

So all religious people lack reason, got it.

Wait, then why would anyone waste his time using reason while arguing with a religious person?

That sounds pretty unreasonable to me.

Are you sure you're not religious?

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

God of diminishing returns:

10,000 years ago, creates the universe, man and woman.
    5,000 years ago, parts the red sea.
    2,000 years ago, produces a virgin birth and a resurrection.
    200 years ago, he heals the sick but outsources that over time as medicine advances.
    20 years ago, speaks to televangelist, usually tells them to ask for money.
    3 years ago, appears on a piece of toast.

17. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

You know what's really amusing? Religion isn't just the Magic Sky Daddy shit. The leftists have their own religion. Then they publicly bag on religious people while they exhibit the exact same tendencies. Religion itself isn't the problem. The problem is people substituting dogma and "faith" for evidence and reason. The replacement of atheistic dogmatic systems for traditional religions suggests to me it's a fundamental flaw in the human psyche and social systems.

18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I like the theory that God is 100% malevolent, but only 80% effective myself.

19. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

:crackup:yep, its the system....it couldn't just be a flaw in you. :Poke:

Fonda Dix likes this.
  20. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

The sheer number of religious pantheons that have existed over human history does seem to give credence to the idea that we share a fundamental need to believe in something beyond this mortal coil. Although some dead religions incorporated beliefs that seem preposterous from our perspective, their adherents were every bit as devout as you are. In time, our current religions will inevitably take their places alongside the mythologies of the past.