1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why doesn't God stop gun violence

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by turtlecreek, Dec 3, 2018.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

If y'all think this life sucks ass, just consider it boot camp for the next one. That one could really suck. :D
    (Or not.) <shrug>

2. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

From my perspective, the God of Judaism and Christianity are the same God. The old testament is recognized as the basis for both, Christianity adding the New Testament where as Judaism doesn't recognize it as valid. From my perspective, Islam does not worship the same God. What's different is like asking what is different between you and I. We aren't the same being.

3. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

So it all depends on which book you read. I get it now. That makes sense. What a bunch of hooey.

Banditracer likes this.
  4. ton

ton Arf!

All three are Abrahamic religions. That is, they all worship the one god of Abraham. So, your perspective is quite simply... flawed.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  5. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Does that mean the real difference is between Jesus vs Mohammed (sp?)??

6. turtlecreek

They can say it is, but the doctrine is not compatible and it contradicts the other two. One view is right .One is wrong. My perspective is not flawed it is biblical . I understand what you are saying, but if I say something is green and you say it is blue, we can both say we are talking about color, but the specifics matter and they aren't the same .

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Since when does incompatible and contradictory matter?

The bible is chock full of inherent incompatibilities and contradictions with itself.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  8. ton

ton Arf!

Jesus' teachings contradict and are incompatible with the source material to roughly the same extent as the Q'uran. So, what you're saying is that you've chosen one of the two false prophets (according to Jewish perspective). And that's fine. but to state that Islam and Christianity don't fundamentally worship the same god, each branch with their own interpretation, is incorrect. The question of which view is the "correct" interpretation of the source material is separate and distinct from the question of whether it's the same god.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Or the same delusion. :Poke:

ton likes this.
  10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

So 2+2 is 6 if you are Muslim but 5 if you are a Christian.

11. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I've tried to have this argument on here before... Free will and omniscience cannot coexist, they are mutually exclusive phenomena.

12. badmoon692008

Then he isn't omniscient

13. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Lay it out, please. I’m curious how you draw this conclusion. In my mind, someone knowing what I’m going to do, doesn’t somehow mean that I’m not making my own choice. Example: We go to Red Robin. I KNOW my kid will order chicken tenders. Doesn’t mean she doesn’t have the option to make another choice, nor does my knowing it impact her decision-making process. While not “omniscient”, per se, that’s the logic I can explain in my head. Where do I miss the boat on that?

14. badmoon692008

Because you can't actually KNOW with 100% certainty... it's not possible...like you said, you're not actually omniscient... and if you know the outcome of a decision before it happens then there is no choice, only the illusion of choice.... If there is a choice, you can't know... you can predict with a very high degree of accuracy based on things you've observed, but you cannot KNOW...

To make it easier to explain, lets say your wife alternates between a chicken sandwich and a burger at Red Robin... If somehow you were given the ability to KNOW which one she would choose on this trip, she wouldn't actually be deciding, the outcome was already set in stone, she just had the illusion of choice.

It's harder to explain when talking about our experience, because it is impossible to KNOW the outcome of a decision with 100% accuracy... we can only predict.

15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Next question: If you KNOW that those chicken tenders will give her food poisoning, from which she will not recover, would you let her order them anyway?

16. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Hell no. But I’m not trying to play God. :D

I was just trying to understand his argument and that popped into my head. Personally, I would say I’m fairly agnostic. I’d like to believe there’s some higher power and reason behind our being, but I’m not entirely convinced. But I’m also not SO convinced there isn’t as to be an atheist.

17. turtlecreek

I ain't the aharpest apple in the barrel, so I assume you've dealt with this before. You are going to go to that restaurant, but you time travel forward, watch your wife order chicken and then time travel back. So now you know the choice your wife will make. She still has the choice when she maikes it, you just went forward in time so you know the outcome. As time has no constraints on God .he exists in the state of being in the now, past and present always .

18. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Yahweh is growing bored with this discussion.

[​IMG]

19. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

So 4.767 *billion*+ people currently on this planet are going to burn in hell because they don't accept Christ???

Fuck whatever person thought that bullshit up.

20. badmoon692008

I'd argue that bringing up completely implausible hypothetical scenarios to make your point doesn't make sense, but given the fact that this entire discussion is based on a completely hypothetical implausible belief I'll entertain it.

If you KNOW what someone is going to do, then their choice is fixed, they have no choice, otherwise you cannot KNOW it... If you go into the future and observe a choice being made (assuming consistent timelines etc etc) and we can guarantee that that is the only possible outcome then their is no choice, only the illusion of choice...

Going further, assuming omniscience, god knows what choice you will make 20 years from now, but there are thousands of decisions that will lead you to that moment in your life that that decision is made... Any variance in any of those decisions leading up to that decision will change the outcome or possibly even the presence of that decision. This means that your entire life is predetermined, and you only have the illusion of choice, with all of your decisions already set in stone. If god knows your entire life story then we're basically just marionettes living out the story that's already been determined for us...