1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which motard to roadrace?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

I like my Katoom 525. The Apes are faster, but singles are lighter. Regardless they are all great fun!!!

2. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

The 610 still strikes me as a dual sport bike, not a race bike. The 525 is much more a race bike. A WR450 would be a good platform too, due to the already mentioned economy of it. The SMR KTMs would be a better fit from the box due to gear ratios, but the EXC can be worked too. The Aprilia would be just darn cool :)

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I had a 550 Ape and loved it... It was by far the funnest bike I ever owned... But then it blew up after 4 Trackdays and I shed a tear.... And went back to Japan... Yhey are the greatest at Tally too...

[​IMG]

4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

If you are gonna run a Husky...get the 510SMR....the 610 is really a streetbike.

Unless you can find one of these....

[​IMG]

5. bloodso

bloodso Well-Known Member

Nice looking bike!!!

6. bloodso

bloodso Well-Known Member

I just bought a KTM 450 SMR I found on supermotojunkie. I haven't taken it to the track yet, but that will change in a couple weeks after Jennings' motard only day.

7. Harry V. III

Harry V. III Well-Known Member

How did those numbers pass tech ??????:D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It wasn't a WERA race.

9. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

I'm building an '08 YZ450F motard for road racing right now. Two friends had CRF450's last year on the big tracks...looked like too much fun to pass up.

10. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

KTM by far has the best factory parts catalog out there. Husky's are like the black sheep of the motard world; really tough to find aftermarket parts for. But on the plus side, it's doesn't really need any :D

The catalog is chock full of nicely designed logo bling; second only to Ducati :up:

11. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Yeah, I've noticed that. Parts availability seems to be a pretty big issue. That notwithstanding, I've found a pretty smokin deal on a local sm610, so I'll probably go with that. I have a GS450 vintage racebike, but I'm a little leerly of doing trackdays with it with modern bikes. Methinks closing speeds could be an issue. Eh, since I've started this search I heard that NESBA has banned motards (anyone know why?) so I'd be in the same boat anyway. I'll hit the street occasionaly with the 610, and maybe a trackday or 2 with a different org when I have the time between races. Hopefully I don't need too many OEM parts....

12. TheJames

TheJames Feelin lucky?

food for thought... the 525 stock, isn't going to be any faster than a 450 mxer converted w/ a stock motor. the aprilia on the other hand, is capable of horsepower in the triple digit neighborhood.

13. Scotty87

A 100hp 5.5? I'd like to see a dyno trace from that.....

14. TheJames

TheJames Feelin lucky?

well with it being a 550 twin w/ 70 hp stock, that's very restriced, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one.....

15. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

i'd go with the aprilia

16. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Yea, it's only a 50% increase in horsepower. No problem.

17. cannonballcobb

cannonballcobb Registered Offender

100hp Aprilia 550? It's very possible, right before it blows up from the Nitrous.

18. Scotty87

Yeah, that's what I thought. ;)

19. ubermoto71

ubermoto71 Well-Known Member

You mean like this? :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ever dyno yours?

Just dyno'd a new fuel-injected SM610R with Leo Vince full system, drilled airbox and PCIII custom mapped, I think it was around 43hp. Not bad for a street bike, but the SM510R is a better bike for the track.

20. Scotty87

Yikes, that's terrible. There's guys at supermoto junkie regularly getting mid to low 50's out of the carbed 610, with just the Leo slip and proper jetting. I know every dyno is different, but 43 is awful low.