1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which motard to roadrace?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Feb 1, 2009.

1. TheJames

TheJames Feelin lucky?

well good for him. keep it maintained, and that shoulnd't be a problem. they're all for sale because they're race engines, ridden on the street, not maintained. i'm not talking about winning races, laptimes, or any of that. i made a simple statement that i think one could make around 100hp. take it or leave it i dont care. but there's no argument that the 5.5 AND 4.5 whip the jap 450's asses.

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

i havent seen anyone on the 4.5 Aps whipping the jap 450's asses. they all go for the 550. of course you belive the 550 is capable of 100hp, so i guess i'll take anything you say with a grain of salt.

3. Heartsofoak441

Heartsofoak441 Zip Tie Alley

I am just wondering about 450 SMR Dyno #'s

All I know is I see some of the aprilla's At the beginning of the year and almost none in the end of the year. And they are not winning in between.

Take it or leave it that all I am saying.

4. TheJames

TheJames Feelin lucky?

i havent even seen someone fast on a 4.5 or 5.5. take what you want for a grain of salt but to say that the jap 450's can hang with the 4.5, you've got to be kidding yourself, hopefully you're just really ignorant.

here's a dyno chart on a stock 5.5 at thumpertalk
    http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608092&page=2

5. TheJames

TheJames Feelin lucky?

i'm not talking about race results. just bike capabilities. it probably is a bitch to race one a whole season and keep it up, you're right.:up: all i'm saying is that they're fast as shit.

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

yeah, i'm ignorant. never ridden or wrenched on one of them that motardy things.

7. TheJames

TheJames Feelin lucky?

dude i'm not questioning your knowledge of motards. you just said you haven't seen a 4.5 whip a jap 450. and if you don't think that the 4.5 faster, you must not have done much research on the 4.5. i've got an rmz sumo thats quick stock, but it doesn't have near the hp these prillers are putting out.

8. cannonballcobb

cannonballcobb Registered Offender

9. TheJames

TheJames Feelin lucky?

what all's done to the engine in the yam? is the upkeep really THAT bad on the aprilia?

10. cannonballcobb

cannonballcobb Registered Offender

Yamaha is all suspension, with only airbox, filter, jetting & pipe tuning. Around 52 hp at the wheel.

Aaron Brown from AB1 Motorsports tunes the Aprilias. They've been good to me so far. Only DNF I had was when a fuel line popped off at the GNF. This year we should roll pretty good now that I've had some time on them.

11. SVRACER01

SVRACER01 18s...FINALLY!

APES tend to "ventilate their cases" up here. ive ridden a VERY WELL set up 525 (pretty sure it was a 525) with mag wheels huge brakes.blah blah. lots of fun.easy to go fast. ive also ridden a Husky 610. the 6th gear was REALLY nice. it was also set up for a 300#+ guy so it was stiff like a sportbike. it was fast...really fast...really really fast. if i hadnt over revved it and put the piston in the cyl sideways...i couldve gotton some good times on it.
    Alex...i havent ridden Grahams husky yet...but it looks fast. its full factory.

12. TheJames

TheJames Feelin lucky?

wow thats impressive. so are those damn lap times:up:

13. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

Well you dont know much about the Aprilia's, During the 2007-2008 WERA seasons our 550's won over 60 races on the way to 14 regional titles and 6 National championships. in roughly 80 races our 550's had less than 3 dnf's due to Aprilia parts failures. They also won against the SV's at the nationals more than once.
    I do not know where you are getting your information but it is far from the facts.

Ab

14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

how many out of how many can you go out to the shop right now and fire up? :D

15. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

For the record Tedd did those times on A bone stock 08 550, The lights were removed and tires installed. Later in the year Dustin Meador was doing 1.24s at Grattan on the same bike with some suspension work. Also Zac chapman set fast time on it during the Miller national LWTSS race.
    Tedd,Dustin,Zac,Travis and Spencer have worked hard to get the 550's suspension sorted out. We have made great strides in that department but still have a ways to go.
    Yes A 90hp 550 engine is possiable.......not that we would do it.

Ab

16. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

5 outa six......and they are running great.......the 6th one is waiting on A valve adjustment. They work great if ya follow the directions...my bad

:beer:

Ab

17. TheJames

TheJames Feelin lucky?

holy shyte! now the only question is....how much $$$?:D

18. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

It doesnt take much money at all.

:up:

19. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

No shit that's what I was thinking!!!

20. desmoworks

desmoworks Well-Known Member

I like the KTM 560SMR and 450SMR - I rode a 450SMR at Nashville and the GNF last year... will be at Tally on it this weekend. I sold my 560 and got the 450 so I could do super singles at some point this year.

They are really cheap for what you get. I bought my 450SMR ('06) brand new for $4300 and my 560SMR ('06 as well) was new for $5100... I bought them in '07 and '08 so they were leftover from '06 and there were really good deals on them, but slightly used are about the same price. I've had no issues with the 450 - the 560s need the crank welded or they will blow to bits (mine did), but they are way easy to work on so it isn't a big deal.

Right now my 450 has stock everything except I re-jetted it so it wouldn't be so lean.

I'd really like to ride on of the Aprilia bikes though! They look kick ass.

At Putnam park my 560SMR was basically the exact same as the Aprilia 550 down the straight, but who knows if the other guy was going full throttle or what - I didn't know him and didn't ask.