1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which motard to roadrace?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I know, I know... not another one of these posts. I'll keep it as simple and focused as I can:

I am selling my Monster because I just don't ride anything other than my scooter on the street more than 4-5 times a year. I have a line on 2 potential bikes, the Husky SM610 and a KTM 525smr. I will ride it on the street the aformentioned 4-5 times and the rest of it's time will be spent on a roadrace track either at track days, or in clubman or the AHRMA singles class. It will not see a motard track, any jumps, or dirt.

Which bike fits the bill better?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hypermotard :D

3. Scotty87

heh. No doubt. I'd love one, but that ain't gonna work here.

4. MrOgle

MrOgle I love college!

Aprilia 550.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seriously for racing I'd get the Aprilia as Ogle said or the KTM.

6. Scotty87

Price of admission may be a little too high, especially on an 08 or newer. I love those things though.

7. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

Buy A 08 or newer Aprilia SXV550....:up:

8. leviathan

leviathan Well-Known Member

Out of your two choices I'd say go with the Katoom. Seems to be more of them around on the track, more dealers, parts, etc.

9. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

Guess you havent been looking at the results the last few years.

:D

10. leviathan

leviathan Well-Known Member

Heh. Was going by what I see with my club. Guess lil diff with your club. Think we have 2 maybe 3 Husky's with us, and they are ridden by slow novices. Don't think there is anyone in AM or EX running Husky's, but quite a few KTMs. Mainly CRF's. Personally I run a RMZ, who's weird now..

11. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

Guess we need to venture north and bring the Aprilias

12. Scotty87

Whta about a crf450x or a wr450? Better choices, or still a little high strung, even with the wider ratio trans?

13. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

We raced the CRF450's for a few years, much higher maintence, wont touch the 550 on A roadrace track.

Ab

14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

go with an alum frame YZ. it has a good ratio 5-speed, lots and lots of parts available, and when ridden properly, are very fast. parts are cheap when you do have to do maintenance. remember when racing sigles, that you never over rev them, downshift as late as possible, and dont rely on engine braking, this will help them live alot longer.

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

i'd debate the reliability part. as for the faster part, yes, but not nearly as impressive as it should be, considering it's a twin with a 100cc advantage.

16. Scotty87

Did you ever end up selling yours Chad? I thought I remember reading a few posts saying that you were thinking of getting rid of it.

17. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

The KTM has a 6 speed I'd go with it.

18. Scotty87

So does the Husky.

19. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Tons of race stuff for the KTM 450/560. My 560 was just as fast as Ducnut's son's 'Prilla, but it was probably the rider. :D

Aaron, was Spencer's bike a 450 or 550??

20. Scotty87

NM Chad, saw your part-out in the for sale section.