1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened in the Daytona riders meeting?

Discussion in 'General' started by sr9004u, Mar 5, 2009.

1. sr9004u

sr9004u Well-Known Member

Read that Ben Bostrom and Mat Mladin had some course words during the riders meeting.....

Anyone down there know?
    Davie S?

2. tito

tito Well-Known Member

I saw that too......and am interested, sounds like neil had some words too.

3. AM # 726

AM # 726 Well-Known Member

I hear that Mladin asked a bunch of questions...over and over, @ the the riders meeting. Not sure of anything between them though.

4. BuiltforSin

BuiltforSin In the grass

Anyone find any info. on this?

5. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Mat and Ben complained about where they were flagging the race from.(they are flagging from nascar flag stand). They said you can`t see flag at nearly 200Mph. they were told tough. Ben said "thats bullshit", Mat asked if the guy has ever did 200 on a bike, Guy replies "yes" Mat says I dont think so. Guy says i`ve told you 4 times where we were flagging from end of story. This is the jist of the story from people in the meeting. Sorry for the run on, typing from phone

6. AM # 726

AM # 726 Well-Known Member

I got the same story from another rider in the meeting :)

7. sr9004u

sr9004u Well-Known Member

I can see how that would upset riders, and Im sure safety is an issue as well. Im not sure the NASCAR guys use 'Bullshit' in there drivers meetings....maybe they should start.

8. LabRat

LabRat Well-Known Member

But imagine how good the TV will look with the 'standard NASCAR camera angle #4' is used with the pack rolling up to the green!?! That will sure bring in the fans!

(to be read with LOTs of sarcasm if that is not apparent)

9. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

And that right there is a problem.

Instead of just dismissing racer's concerns, how about sending someone out to evaluate the situation further and then make a change if necessary. It's kinda difficult to gauge the situation from a podium at a rider's meeting, no?

All you have to say is "Thanks for the recommendation - we'll check it out".

See? Easy.

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I thought they usually flagged from the pit wall side of the track.

Ya know I've tried to be objective about this DMG thing but if they are screwing with the riders like this I might keep my ticket money. I can go watch Wera this weekend.

11. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Fixed it for ya... ;)

12. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I remember them flagging from the bottom of the banking. I know my one experience with WERA at Fontana that if they were flagging from up at the flag stand above the banking around the chain link fence I'd never see the flag and i'm not even going close to 200mph.

13. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Let's just call it 3 weeks cause it might as well be next year.

And tonight it finally hit me and I'm really pissed.

14. burner42

burner42 Well-Known Member

GAYTONA!!!

15. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

DMG FTW, :wow: :rolleyes: :down:

16. onepointone

onepointone Well-Known Member

:crackup:

Well, atleast theres that.

I also liked the comments Neil made about the superpole/race being delayed in the qualifying interview.

17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I remember them using the safety lights (red-green-yellow) which if I'm not mistaken (which I probably am) were in a similar sight line and they were never a problem to see.

Also, cars are going similar speeds and can see them fine. Sounds like nit pickin to me.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

There is a slight difference in the field of vision from the seat of a car and full race tuck on a bike.

19. cattitori

cattitori Code SuperBike Galactic *

+1

A car driver is sitting down in a seat with their head resting back, eyes up.

Racing bikes down the straight in a full tuck the racer's eyes/head are in the bubble. It aint no nit-picking.

What would Rossi do? This is no surprise to anyone who's been watching DMG's attitude toward racer safety and being dismissive about anything besides money in their pocket. Hoping it works out has put racers in the hospital before, where DMG is concerned, and other orgs could have avoided it. And that's why we'll be hearing more from the likes of Hodgson and Mladin this year.

20. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

I think the difference is the seating position and the visibility the cars have while on the banking. Not that the bikes can't see, it just may be easier with the flagger closer to the racing line.

However, things like this NEVER happened with the former AMA, right?? Yes, that's synical. I think there will be growing pains from both sides, but ultimately, they should work themselves out. One way or the other. But, finger pointing isn't going to help either side.