1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened in the Daytona riders meeting?

Discussion in 'General' started by sr9004u, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, Supersport first appeared in AMA/CCS about the 1984/85 time frame. It was a product created by RE in the CCS series that he eventually brought with him to the AMA. When he was forced out, they kept the series and didn't pay him for it, which was the basis of the law suite and subsequent judgement against the AMA. I know that's a very basic interpretation of it all, but I believe it show's that RE created it and/or had the rights to it.

2. Twisty-tie

Twisty-tie Member

The fall date at Daytona used to be a full AMA event, along with the ROC. Eventually they dropped Superbike from the program, then the Supersport, then the rest.
    That race Barney won was an AMA national event. He won the $5,000 posted for AMA national events from Yokohama for winning that race.

Johnny B. (the other one)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  3. deanbosch

deanbosch user title

I have had my share of bad experiences!
    I am not a fan of the US tracks and safety.
    ! Europe is where it is at!
    Then again I'm just a novice rider so who would listen to safety concerns if there not listening to the Pro's. grrrr

4. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

yeah, but the commute sucks for >99% of the people on this board.

5. deanbosch

deanbosch user title

I think I just pissed my pants on that response. I agree but It wouldn't hurt to make some smarter decisions.

I agree the rider holds the most responsibility out there, however, there are precarious risks involved in our sport.

We are risking our life.. no biggie!

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You risk your life eating hamburgers, french fries and potato chips. You risk your life drinking coffee, driving a car, wiping your ass with treated toilet paper.

The size of the risk is what seperates us from the normal part of society.

7. MrWheeler

MrWheeler Well-Known Member

Only if it's lousy coffee. I've got a micro roaster bud here that probably should be investigated. :up:

8. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

I finished 11th in that race. It was not raining; more like a monsoon. Bout as scared as I've ever been negotiating the banking in a storm lap after lap. Barney was riding like on rains (which were not legal at the time). The Yokohamas were literally slicks w/little teardrops in the tread.
    I was on them as well going for the Yok payout for a top 10 finish. My FZR was well setup: motor built by Paul Vogel and Theo Lockwood at Grizzly in Sacramento. I have been a big Barney fan ever since that day. Only 17 finished; everyone else crashed or DNS. We were surviving; Barney was racing!

9. deanbosch

deanbosch user title

I would say a women (no offense) eating a hamburger, french fries, potato chips, while drinking her coffee, wiping her ass with treated toilet paper and putting her make up on while she is driving is a bigger risk then riding in a monsoon on slicks :)

We accept our risk and sign our waivers but that doesn't mean armco barriers should be lining the tracks, or not red flagging a race and letting the riders ride around the track with an ambulance on course. I have heard numerous stories about riders almost self loading themselves in the back of the ambulances during a race.

It's just the NOT needed risks that bother me, but I love the sport too much to let it stop me.

10. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I vaguely remember reading something to the effect of the endurance race not going the full time/distance because the conditions were so bad that Roger E. went off the track while driving the safety car!
    Hmmmm, safety car at Daytona 20 years ago.........

11. weggie man

weggie man Well-Known Member

The first motorcycle "safety" car at Daytona was used during an AMA/CCS endurance race in '87 or '88. I was the control person in it. A track official was driving it.

It worked OK then but the driver had that thing railing..........no worries about bunching up behind it. Mandatory for two people to be in the car, both with radio contact with safety workers and the tower. We had a spotter in the tower at the tri-oval also to keep tabs on the leader. We always knew where the leader was and had no problem getting him behind us.

OK, non of the AMA/RE lawsuit BS belongs here.That's done and over with.

I never said RE doesn't know what he's doing......I said "Daytona folks".
    All I know, and it's MHO that with the staff RE has put together for the DMG program things should be running smoother. The flagging deal at Daytona should not be a "tough shit" thing from whomever ran the riders meeting. It's quite obvious that decision and order was made by someone that has never raced a bike at that track. If it came from a DMG official they should be ashamed of themselves and if it came from a Daytona official DMG should have declined to carry it out. Safety should always come before the show.

What I did for this sport was help racers after they suffered the consequences of some dumb decisions. Sometimes the racers but too often the tracks and organizers not looking at things from a motorcycle racers perspective. It makes a big difference. What works for cars most likely is quite different than what works for bikes.

I wish everyone a safe and successful season.

I'm done on this subject, the floor is open.