1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened in the Daytona riders meeting?

Discussion in 'General' started by sr9004u, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And DMG is encouraging teams to use pit to rider radios....

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Wonder if we could hack a frequency........

3. morbidelli17

morbidelli17 Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the change was made with safety in mind. Some of the racers working with DMG have had ugly experiences with flaggers on the track at the end of races. I know one of them who missed the flag guy at Road America by inches. Fewer things to hit on a racetrack is a good thing.

I'm not a big fan of having flags, braking markers, etc., off to the right on the banking, either. But it beats the hell out of pulling out of the draft on the tri-oval for an at-the-line pass and slamming into a stationary human being.

And yeah, it hasn't happened - yet. Would you rather wait until it does and then make the change?

4. DavieStone

DavieStone Well-Known Member

I didnt have any problem seeing the white flag when I came by and after I exited t2 towards the international Horseshoe.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It wouldn't be that hard to move him off the track but not that far above the line of sight for the riders. I've never liked him being on the track and have moved our starters further away for safety reasons as I see fit - but still keeping in mind where the riders are looking.

6. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

its easy to see when you are running out of gas.:Poke:

7. morbidelli17

I was thinking exactly of the way you do it at Fontana - the flagger isn't on the track at all. I like that. That's way better than the way the AMA used to have that guy standing right on the edge of the banking at Daytona. Either off the track entirely or in the flagger station is better than that.

The way you come onto the banking at Fontana, it's not hard for me to glance at the flag stand at all. The flagger is in a different spot at every track I race at. I just get used to it. Is it really that difficult to get used to looking for the flag station at Daytona, or was Mat pitching a hissy fit?

P.S. Now if we could just get bigger and more obvious braking markers for Turn One at Fontana, instead of the cones in the catch fencing, I'd be happier. You need to make accommodations for old geezers like me who can't see for shit ...

:D

8. daddio

daddio Well-Known Member

And those dorks still manage to plow into one another......"Best drivers in the world here DW, boogity-boogity."

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Crunch.

10. caferace

caferace No.

So by "flag-to-flag coverage" they mean the first caution to the checkers. :D

-jim

11. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

Yeah, exactly, so more riders can get killed or injured, brilliant deduction, Sherlock, :rolleyes:

Just keep your head buried in the sand, if you leave it there long enough, you don't have to worry anymore. :up:

12. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I gave up with them after they sent the superbike results in an e-mail last night. Unsubscribed... eff'em :down:

13. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Wouldn't think that would be a problem for you since you were coasting by on fumes.:crackup:

JK:D

14. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Any reason why they don't just install yellow/red lights like they do on European tracks?

Don't have to worry much about the flagman's safety when there isn't one.

15. backbone

backbone scarred for life

You're a pee'in into the wind.

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Hell if they're gonna do that why not add some gravel and decent runoff?:Poke:

17. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Unless it is encrypted no need to hack. Just need a scanner.

18. morbidelli17

I think Daytona actually has red/yellow lights on the banking, like at Indy. It's not just the flagger's safety at issue here; the riders' safety is an issue, too.

19. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Wow, that's just crazy talk right there :Poke:

20. Rich SmithMoore

Rich SmithMoore Well-Known Member

It's only a rumor that that kind of stuff went on last year during Moto-ST. Only a rumor..........:crackup: