1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened in the Daytona riders meeting?

Discussion in 'General' started by sr9004u, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Rich SmithMoore

Rich SmithMoore Well-Known Member

Maybe,but the technology I've been able to afford or borrow has pretty much limited communications to: "zzzccchhtsch......F#$K....zzcchhhtscch........":D

2. Rich SmithMoore

Rich SmithMoore Well-Known Member

C'mon, everyone knows WERA before Evelyn is just.....rumors.:)

3. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

That maybe if you can get to all the races. The TV deal stinks and defeats the purpose of "the show". Neil Hodgeson made the point well at the Superpole news conference. DMG AMA is losing it's fan base and its advertisers. Say what you want about the old AMA racing at least they had a decent TV package albeit with a lot of room for improvement. Of course this has all been posted before, just wanted to vent. Rant over.

4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Yeah, rumor was that Dr. Franks got tired of the shitty way the AMA treated amateur roadracers and started his own organization where we didn't have to pit in the dirt parking lots while the pros got the real pits and/or garages...

5. Palanon

Palanon Well-Known Member

At NASCAR races, they have vendor trailers to rent scanners or you can bring your own.

If your not web savvy, they sell a booklet with all the teams and freq. they use.

6. Sideshow

Sideshow Free reach around expert.

Nextel has a deal you can subscribe to.You get a lil walkie talkie radio and you can listen to the pit to driver audio.You keep the device too.

7. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

one needs only to remember Roger E's pimp hand to Brian Parriott for trying to organize a rider boycott in the moto-ST race at Iowa Speedway not so long ago. Parriot was trying to unite riders to boycott the race out of concern for rider safety. Boss Hogg's response to the boycott attempt: "there isn't any safe racetrack" and a fine for Parriot. Shawn Higbee and Brian Kcraget were both seriously injured in in that race. DMG could give a rat's ass about rider safety. :down:

8. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Lance, in all fairness, the decision to use sections of the banking at Iowa after it was determined that the intended infield road course was not suitable for safe racing was made by both MOTO-ST officials and a group of riders. the course was changed specifically to improve safety. Riders were consulted and had input to pick the safest course that they could use that weekend, and even had input on where soft barriers were placed. Nobody shoved anything down anyone's throat, and nobody forced anyone to race.

From a track and promoter's standpoint I think one can understand the fine for attempting to organize a rider boycott. The fine wasn't about safety.

9. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Point taken, But I recall a conversation with an acquaintance that crews for the San Jose team, after the event. he pointedly remarked on RE's capricious and imperious attitude towards the riders and crew. I'm not convinced that the situation is that different. I would be happy to be wrong, though. :up:

10. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

If any of you out there are ancient enough to remember RE's control of the CCS, the AMA (in the 80s and 90s), and NASB, you will recall the same attitude.

Good luck hoping THAT will change...we can only hope that some of the other individuals involved will proceed with organizing the rider safety committee as promised.

11. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

actually I dont recall an attitude when he was runnin nasb,thats why Im surprised by the current turn of events

12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I can recall. Here's an example:

One of the things NASB did was run 1100s and 400s together in the same practice. Closing speeds were stupid. There was never any budging on this unsafe practice, and my rider was hurt and my bike destroyed in an incident involving ridiculous closing speeds. I tried to discuss it with RE, but he intimated that I was a whiner and should go race somewhere else or something along those lines (too long ago for exact quotes). I can still recall the rage I felt. I decided never to race that series again.

I have reluctantly held a grudge ever since. It was probably personal, and shouldn't have been, but I'm only human, I think.

13. caferace

caferace No.

If you'd added spurious in there, I would've had your back all the way. :D

-jim

14. Rodney Vest #310

Rodney Vest #310 Well-Known Member

I agree about the TV coverage. I thank it sucks as well. But it is better than Tuesday during working hours. But as far as the Running of the race weekend and at the track they have become very helpful so far.

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

i know it's easy to talk big behind a keyboard but, if anyone in RE's position had that little regard for my safety, i'd punch him right in his cocksucker.

16. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

now THAT'S funny... :crackup:

17. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Hey, 40 is not THAT old!! I'm barely Formula40 legal.

18. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

If we want to carry grudges from that far back, here's one a bit further. The only Le Mans start race I ever did was with W.E.R.A. at Road America, back in 1985ish. It was crazy dangerous! Guys flying through pit lane at over 100mph from the back of the pits while guys near the end of pit road just pulling out of their pit. And yes, we started on pit lane, not the track.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, that's why we quit doing them that year. Boss lady had only been running things for a short while at that point and hadn't gotten everything fixed.

20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

ooohh, 1985. I was all of 8 at the time. My brother riding me around on his new GPZ550. His buddy bought a new FZR600 in '86. Man :rolleyes:, those were the days. I have no idea how I got hooked on this motorcycling thing.