1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA Vintage 2006

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Yamaha Fan, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

There really isn't anything wrong with V5. If a true V5 bike had as much development time as in my RZ, I would bet it would smoke my RZ at most any track except for maybe TGPR, given equal riders. This bike would also demolish Seca's and EX's. Mathematically, the only bike that doesn't compute for the class is Dick's TZ500. But, I personally like having the bike in the class. Sort of a David beats Goliath thing going on if and when you do finish ahead of Dick.

2. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I like your schedule proposal and I agree with above. :up:

3. wera #3

wera #3 Well-Known Member

joe dont worry too much about me... i cant ride the thing to its potential:beer:

4. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

My prediction: Low 1:43's will be needed to win V5 at the GNF...........

5. wera #3

joe i think we can do mid 41's your thinking of the diesels at 43

6. charles

charles The Transporter

Dick Gruhn makes a good case...and it is possible with rising gas costs, that we will see even less riders out in vintage this year...
    I will leave the class structure arguments up to those who know most about such things...I've always seen the situation as one that really needs more riders to get really good...and perhaps the way to keep things moving along in a growth pattern is simply to get more riders, more enthusiasts, more interest...I have a plan and this weekend at CMP would like to discuss it with anyone interested.
    Best Regards,
    Charles R.

7. Dave164

Dave164 Well-Known Member

I really have to disagree with this. Based on the schedule shown My first race would be in May then wait until July. If you cannot make the races because of your machine then build in backups. This is what I have been accomplishing over the last couple of years. I can always get the bike back together in a week with most spares on hand.

If the races are reduced then I will quit WERA vintage. This is not my wish but I do not see how one race a month dotted all over the country will increase participation.

All the guys bitching about this do not travel anyway so they have nothing in this but their voice is loudest. I have never seen the likes of Joe, Scott or a lot of other guys step out of there own neck of the woods. This would not change anything.

To have an event at each sportsman region is not costing anyone any more money to run. If Vintage does not run at that event then it means they go home earlier but seeing as it is a Saturday they will party earlier and have bigger hangovers for the Sunday race. :D

DG please do not take offense at this because you are one of the racers I respect the most with your experience and perseverance and I know you do travel. It is that there are a few people who keep bringing this up who do or will not participate anymore than they do now and use the excuse of saturation as a reason why.

I call this complete BS on those people who say "I did not race because I can go to ? in a couple of weeks".

If you really want to increase grid sizes then do not cut races but make the national eight events points count and the GNF is not a double pointer added on top but classes as a single point event to make nine total. Then we will see some traveling people and also encourage the Road Atlanta local track guys to travel because there home advantage will be reduced.

Think about it.

8. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

Why don't we have more all region combined.........call it national/all regions throughout the year.

Spring Classic.............but put in on the weekend.........the majority of the vintage crowd does not go to Daytona anyways.

Everyone enjoys............Barber, Road Atlanta in July, and a VIR round (not Cycle Jam), some track up North........can't think of a good one at this time.............make everyone attend these events from every region..............one track from each region.

I like taking Talledega out of the SE region too, but I want to race at Barber.

9. wera #3

dave,
    thank you for your thoughts,
    i hope more riders will express their opinions and ideas.
    the goal is to increase grid sizes and im sure we can find a way.
    DG

10. Dave164

Just a thought, is the reason all races count to the national in AHRMA why there grid sizes are larger or is it the occasional chance to race at a more known track (I did not say better) such as Mid Ohio. I know Dave Roper stopped racing the GP class last year to concentrate on AHRMA because he needed them all rather than just six for his national.

11. wera #3

having all the races go toward a championship is a double edged sword.
    ultimatly that is a true championship series...but a lot of vintage guys wouldnt be able to afford racing in enough to get a championship.
    unfortunatly it then becomes "he who has the deepest pockets wins"
    you could hit all 12 races and finish 3rd or 4th in all of them and still possibly win the class.
    its a tough call.

i believe a lot of guys are occasional racers and dont chase a championship but rather enjoy racing with people they know.

some of the best times i had racing was when i went to a track and knew i had to race the fast guys and i knew they would be there........right mark morrow?

if we could get some "PRESS" perhaps some new riders would be drawn into the organization and the current riders could get the thrill of seeing their name in a racing magizine.

i know all succsesfull companys advertise, maybe we should too

12. GrantMLS

GrantMLS Well-Known Member

Lets not make it more expensive - i am still paying off 2003 season :Poke:

what side is the clutch on again :Puke:

13. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Class structure VS Schedule

How about a schedule and participation thread? It is just as important a subject as the class structure but it causes the focus here to drift. We should keep this thread on subject, if we don't it makes it difficult to follow it to any conclusion. This seems to be the forum that has evolved for the general vintage participants to discuss and propose changes to the class structure for next year lets keep it focused on that :up:

14. wera #3

really bob....
    how can i focus with ADD:beer:

15. wera 688

wera 688 in the mosh pit

Honestly I would like to go to tracks outside of the SE region but due to logistics, expenses, time off, etc I am only going able to participate in the 3-4 tracks within 2-3 hours from my house.

16. push rod

push rod Well-Known Member

input to Schedule change

I've been racing for nearly 40 years, and my motivation for racing has evolved over those years. When I started, it was for the sole purpose of doing something I loved and had a great time doing. Went to races when I could, wherever I could. Distance from home, specific track, etc didn't matter. At the time I was riding in the modern classes. Quickly, it started to impact my personal life and marriage. Too many long weekends, away from home, consuming my 2 weeks vacation at the expense of a real vacation etc etc. I then made a commitment to try to keep the relationship side of life in focus. So, I drew an imaginary circle about 5 hours driving time around my home. That defined my scope of tracks. Then I coordinated my schedule with family responsibilities. In this mode, more races within driving time enabled me to race 8-10 times a year.

Then I started chasing points and championships. The model above pretty much held except for the GNF, which took a 5 day weekend and lots of driving. Still was able to keep a life and racing going.

Recently, the dearth of races near to my home and my fading energy about racing has me only going to race at tracks that I like and that fit my personal life schedule. That will likely have me at 2-4 races a year. If you reduce the number of races and therefore require longer drives and less flexibility for people's life schedule, then anyone using my logic to decide what races to go to, will definitely race less.

Just keep in mind, we all race for different reasons and are willing to travel and willing to focus family weekends around racing to different degrees and enjoy different tracks differently as well.

In summary, the changes that you make will result in different reactions based on the racer's "model". Predicting the results is the challenge.

17. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  18. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Exsqueeze me David???

I'm bitching about the format and I do travel. Only Roebling & Barber so far this year, (until this weekend ;) )But I do travel, have traveled, and will travel (Cause I have Corona :D )

Ok, I want a few less races, a few. Back to back weekends suck, sure, Maybe once a year its cool to race a couple weekends in a row, doesn't hurt the riding skills any, thats for sure. But it kills the checkbook. The other reduction needed is events the same day in different regions, I don't care if its Road Atlanta and BeaveRun, if its held the same day it hurts us, if not for the event in Pa the July weekend I would have gladly went to race at RA.

Now on to the National format, Its not a Nationial championship as it is now run, Thats not to say the guys winning the way it is now wouldn't still, but I'f prefer a true National system, I don't have to run Barber & Roebling but I do, but their is no need to.

Thats wrong, I, and everyone else shoud have to count a result from each region in order to win a National title, like I said before, pick 3 races in each region that will be Nationals as well as regionals for that region, best 6 count for now (work it to 7 or 8 over the years) but the kicker is that you will have to count 1 race from each region.

As for anyone quiting Wera Vintage because they didn't get their way, be it the number of races, or the class rules. Save the threats, there will be plenty of races & plenty of classes to be had & we can do without the Threats and the Tudes.

Ring-a-ding- ding

:beer: Bob

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  19. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

The best tracks and competition are in the Southeast. Why burn up an extra $100 in fuel if I don't have to? What's the motivation?

On the other hand, if it took a 700 mile trip to guarantee a shot at the National Championship, I'd stock the Eurovan with CD's and hit the road. The way the schedule is right now, I don't have to.

If there was only one vintage race per month (somewhere), I'd probably travel a whole lot more because skipping a race would have me off the bike for way too long than I would want. That's 8 race weekends plus the GNF. That's not so much to kill my race budget but enough to make a run for the championship a challenge. Also, it would be easy to plan for one event a month Feb - Oct on the personal side.

Out of the 8 events, throw out your best finish and worst finish if you run all 8, throw out your worst if you run 7, don't throw any out if you run 6 or less. Make the GNF points 1.5 x normal.

20. Dave164

Bob, you know me better than that. I am not making a threat because I did not get my own way. I am stating it as it is from my perspective. I enjoy riding so if I can not get enough I will look elsewhere. You have only been traveling for the last two years, before that we used to see you at Nelson only which is fine because of other commitments. Do not come telling me I do not travel because I do and have done. As I say I enjoy racing that is why for a couple of years I run three orgs and still run two.

You say "Maybe once a year its cool to race a couple weekends in a row, doesn't hurt the riding skills any, that’s for sure. But it kills the checkbook." but then in the next breath say it should be one race from each region. How is that not going to hurt peoples check book. Some people have to travel a long way just to race in their closest event so why penalize them any further with the daftest rule I have ever heard.

As I said earlier make it eight events count to the GNF and the GNF a single point event added on top. This gives the people opportunity to go out of there region if they want to title chase but at their choosing. Not someone saying I have to race an event in the southern region with a day of work to get there, a day of to race and a day to get back. This will lead to less people racing.

All orgs are down at the moment due to economic measures beyond our control and your idea would make it worse.

Do not accuse me of things I did not say. I do not make threats but is a fact. I also said WERA vintage, I still run modern although I do prefer vintage.

Twist it round how you like but that is the only way you will get people to travel and increase grids in other regions. We used to have a bunch of riders at the events years ago and we had three events at each track, this proves it would be wrong to follow less meetings. I joined Wera because of the number of events I can reasonably travel to without using family vacation time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.