1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA Vintage 2006

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Yamaha Fan, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

It is getting close to the end of the season,, seems it is time open the usual discussion on class structure and possible changes with an eye to help with participation. I am not seeking to create a “bring back F-RD” thread. I am of course speaking of the Saturday Vintage races the V-6/V7 crowd seem to be doing well as structured

I would like to see V2 warmed up a bit, was thinking that it might help with a few that have complained about no place to run an RD350 “stocker” and I would like to run a maxed out RD250. With this in mind I thought that the following might make sense.

V-2,
    allow single disc brake
    Include the following bikes, Honda 400-4 and RD350 “Stocker” this would require stock carb bores, and stock motors, DG only pipes?, or possibly period production based pipes (DG, Bassani, FPP, Toomey).

This would essentially create a F-250 class. The only other thing would be to separate V-2 from running in F-500 this would create a good bump up structure…

:D :up:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  2. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Allow Formula 2-stroke bikes into V-4. V-5 would still be their bump up class as it is today.

3. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I'm all for opening up V2 to single disc brakes with the bike's that Yamaha fan has highlighted.

However, V4 is a twin shock class and that it should remain, if a 2 stroke meets the guidlines by all means it shoud be allowed but any bike that started life as a monoshock should never be allowed.

An RZ has F2S, V5 & V6LW to run on saturday, I'd say 3 of 4 vintage races gives one enough to do during the day, don't you think? If not you could always do the Solo 20:)

#156 Well-Known Member

I WOULD LIKE TO RECOMMEND TO LET MY SECA 550 IN V-3 ! I HAVE RACED TIM AND BOB AND I FEEL LIKE WE ARE ALL EQUAL.JUST A THOUGHT FOR BETTER RACING FOR ME.THANKS.

5. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Currently, V6LW, F-2 stroke, and V4 all race at the same time. I'm not going to enter those classes and pay extra money unless I get the track time to go along with it.

6. Tritom

Tritom Well-Known Member

Wayne, that would be fine if you'd lose the wide mags, the slicks, the triple disc brakes, etc. that basically define a V-4 bike. Tim's been running a V-3 bike against V-4's. You've been running a V-4 bike against V-5's. Don't get me started about Lizard and his 843cc twin Suzuki being allowed into V-3. :D

7. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I'd like to see all CBR600F3's, or at leat up through 97 (bodywork change in 98) allowed in V7MW. There is no meaningful difference between a 97 F3 and a 95 F3, and allowing them just makes it easier to find a bike for someone who'd like to add this class to his or her schedule...

:)

8. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

Any reconfiguration of the vintage classes should be very carefully considered. It is apparent that growth in the vintage arena is with the newer motorcycles. Older bikes, such as the Manx, G-50, Gold Star, and Aermacchi almost never show up at our events. The GP classes need help and the smaller V classes can use some too.

Bob's idea about allowing RD 350s into V2 with some restrictions is a good one. However, limiting the bikes to stock motors is a license for cheating. I think if this idea is to be implemented the rule should allow electronic ignition systems (the points systems suck and are a hazard) Maybe require stock exhaust systems and stock carbs? Maybe pull a bike to the tech shed and remove the cylinder head to measure the exhaust port on a lottery system? I just hate situations where you have to have protests to keep a class straight because most guys don't want to do that.

Mark's idea about advertising the vintage series somehow is good also. How many people would be willing to take their bike to a local bike show, hand out literature, and answer questions. Last year, USCRA riders took their bikes to the Javits Center to advertise the sport. They had a lot of interes in the bikes, but I haven't been able to find out if they got any participants through their efforts. Oh yes, they each paid $80 for the pleasuer of doing that too.
    Lyn Garland

9. El Skwid!

El Skwid! Old guy, old bikes

schedule

Can we go back to 1 race a month?
    I like the new regional format, but the back-to-backs are killers.

10. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

Re: schedule

How about combining some of the low turn out vintage classes on saturday to free up time for a combined vintage solo 20 class

:Pop:

11. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

stuff to talk about

Vintage solo 20?!

If a 10 year old ducati 748-something-or-other can't make it around the track for 20 laps what makes you think a 20 year old bike can?!

:Poke:

Dust off the duc, come play at CMP this weekend........got them back together yet?

V7 MW and V7 HW split was a great idea. We just need to address hybrids, similar model years F3 & ZX6R's 95-97, and do those TZ250's really belong in MW?

12. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Re: stuff to talk about

I thought you wanted somebody to be between you and Stickboy. :Poke:

13. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

Joe.........I said 250, not 350..................and besides, can you finish in front of Stickboy? Grid that badboy up on Sunday and see what you can do.

:beer:

14. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

Re: stuff to talk about

I would come to CMP this weekend but I am picking up my new motor tomorow an will be tearing into that project this weekend. I have been pretty lucky with the reliablity of my bikes. We have broke some stuff in practice but havent had a failure in a race,yet. I would run 20 laps on my bike anyday...that is not saying i will finish. I get thirsty around lap 9.
    This year has had been pretty hard on us. broken limbs, broken bikes, lack of confidence...bla bla bla. just when thing start turning around an engine self distructs...We are going to summit with our new super throw down 955 engine an some new found confidence...we need to win at least one race this year an that track has always been pretty good to us.

I am gonna get flamed for this but, I am serious about the vintage solo 20. take v-4 through 7 an line them up for a solo. Combining some of the low/no turn vintage grids shpuld make time for this.

I agree with you on the V-7 rules but how wuld you suguest putting rules on a class that is structured around superbike rules ?
    I would agree with not having the 250 gp machines in MW.
    Hybids are a tough call an should be handled on a case by case basis

Good luck this weekend
    aaron

15. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Yea but, the RZ is just an old, slow streetbike. I'd like to be on one them new fangled TZ's- even if it is just a 250.

16. Yamaha Fan

Re: Re: schedule

This would also be known as a vintage endurance race? :D

17. Yamaha Fan

Re: schedule

:Off:

OK from here on down this has strayed from the topic at hand, lets keep this thread in track :up:

18. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

more.......

Old Streetbike...........show me what part is street bike or old on that bike of yours......The VIN number is the only thing old that I can see. Don't give me that sob story.

Back to the original thread..............I think a vintage rules ADVISORY committee would be very helpful.

Aaron.........I am just playing with you man. I would like 10 lap races, but there is never enough time.

19. triumphman

triumphman Well-Known Member

Re: more.......

we had a committee but some say that didn't work .I hate to say it but with fuel prices going sky high even I am looking for a new hobby and I can have fun with and not travel all over hell.Raced a mini race this weekend in stark fl. 3 minis in a van 45.oo for 3 races with a full day of track time and 10.oo gate fee.The cost to race has just got to be too much and thats my two cents.:down:

20. Yamaha Fan

Re: Re: more.......

:Off:

I sort of thought we had worked in the direction of mending fences.....

We have seen this train wreck on here before please, you were on the commitee and you don't know why it did not work? what does that say? how about we keep this on topic! :up:

Topic:

Proposed changes to class structures to improve WERA vintage...

Now lets add a positive catagory based on a valid issue Tim has raised...

Possible topic.. "Race pooling" this could be a new BBS catagory..

Trailer space available / needed to/from races.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.