1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Cash Prizes - Barber - July 2

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Can-am, Jan 17, 2016.

1. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

Even with such a small grid turnout, the irish sweepstakes rules (basically racing against the clock) made for some very fast laps by the top runners. Congrats to all and hopefully I'll be there in some form, for the next round.

craig641 likes this.
  2. yamageezer

Ok, I have an eligible bike now, when's the next one?

V5 Racer likes this.
  3. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

Funny you should ask. I went to Tally this weekend to talk with the participants in the previous race and get their feedback on whether I should try to sponsor another round next year. I also spoke with those racers who were eligible to run in the handicap race but did not come to the Barber round. Here is the basic synopsis of responses: 1) it was fun and should be done again, but maybe at a different time or location; 2) it would be better if it included more classes.

On the timing I think they were right. The Barber round was the weekend preceding both AMA/WERA vintage at Mid-Ohio and AHRMA at New Jersey. Most of those racers who were at Tally but not Barber said they went to one of the other two events and could not make both in such a short time frame.

On location the general comment was that it should be closer to the east coast. Road Atlanta and VIR were both mentioned. Road Atlanta would be a great venue,, but I fear that doing it at Cycle Jam on a Friday might limit attendance and AHRMA may schedule a conflicting event next year in September (as they did this year) which would also hurt turnout. VIR would be a great place if WERA is able to get a date next year. VIR has a bit of a challenge in setting proper handicaps since there is not much of a database of past vintage events to work with.

The expansion to a second race is easy, all I need is more money. The "V5, V3" is a perfect candidate for expansion of the concept. Formula 2 stroke, V4, F500 and V2 two strokes can all bump up to be in the race.With proper handicaps, everyone would have an equal shot at winning the prize money, just as at the Barber event. All it takes is more prize money and more research to develop the handicaps. If we did both races every class from 350GP to V5 would have a shot at the prizes.

Let me know your thoughts.

james walker likes this.
  4. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

If it's open all the way up to V5, the question is...who gets second place...if Bowie drags out that fire breathing big Duc. :D

5. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

Two races: "F500, V1, 350GP" and "V5, V3" each with their own prizes. If the big Duc appears, it will get a proper handicap based on like machines. Just a little more competition.

6. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

I vote Bowie starts in the back, facing the opposite direction.

7. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Being too close to the 4th of July might have hurt turnout as well. Any chance you may do it at another track next year?, like Roebling.

8. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

Roebling is my favorite track and I mentioned it to the riders at Tally. The general consensus was that it is to far south for the riders in the mid-west and mid-Atlantic. The main point is to increase the size grid. The average grid had been 12 and we got 15. That is an increase, but not what I had hoped for. I wish we had a track like Nashville which is more centrally located. I would love to hear suggestions of dates and places. The other trick is to establish fair handicaps so every class has a shot at the prize money. If it is a track with very limited history, the handicaps might not be realistic. I also asked about Summit Point, but the Tally riders seemed to think it was too far north so I don't know what to hope for. Suggestions?

9. yamageezer

I really think VIR would draw the largest crowd since most Mid-Atlantic and Northern riders really have no regional vintage races to attend anymore.

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Will there ever be love for V8?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nah, it's wannabe Vintage :D

On the date - agreed, was thinking about making Barber a double header next year and putting a Vintage round elsewhere, I'll have to pay more attention as I'm doing the schedule. Also hoping to get VMD moved off AHRMA Jersey but not my deal.

How much money for the class/race addition?

TLR67 likes this.
  12. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

I was planning on doing the same payouts for the second race: 1st = $150, 2nd = $125, 3rd = $100, 4th = $75, 5th = $50. If we can attract more sponsors we could either increase the prize amounts or pay further down the field or both depending on the level of support. Mark indicated a willingness to supply champagne again, which was much appreciated at the Barber event.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So $500? Okay, I'm in. You get to do the number crunching and tell me what event it's at :D

V5 Racer likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And don't tell Evelyne :crackup:

15. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

Thanks Sean, that is great news! So we will have a handicap prize in two races at an event in 2017. We just need to figure out the best time and place. I will start trying to find additional sponsors so we can increase the prizes. I need to hear suggestions from the participants as to possible dates and locations. I will get with you when you start making a schedule for next year so we can pick the best time. I don't think Evelyne will be very upset since she enjoyed the event at Barber.

16. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Bravo Ron and Sean for paying things forward!

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, this is my money not WERA money so the wife not the boss will be pissed at me spending it :D

18. yamageezer

I'm sure we can round up some yamaha or yamalube swag too.

19. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

We will follow the same methodology as before in the "F500, V1, 350GP" race with V2 and 500GP eligible on a bump-up basis into F500 with each having its own handicap which would be adjusted for the track on which the event is run. The "V5,V3" race would have F 2 stroke and V4 as bump-up into V5 and F500 and V2 two strokes as bump-up into V3, each having their own handicap based on past times at the track.

Attached Files:

yamageezer likes this.
  20. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

That is seriously cool.