1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Cash Prizes - Barber - July 2

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Can-am, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

We need to increase the grids in our vintage races to make the program sustainable in the long run. This handicap race is intended to induce extra entries by offering cash prizes across an entire race grid rather than for just one class. It will be run at Barber on July 2, 2016.

The “F500, V1, 350GP race” typically has a dozen entries spread over the three classes. The race is open to 500GP and V2 as per on a "bump up" into F500 as per current rules. WERA will run the race and award class points exactly as the do under the current procedures. No on track procedures or scoring software changes would be made. Those racers entering F500 on a “bump up” basis must indicate their original class.

Following the race a handicap will be applied to cumulative time for racers in certain classes to determine the cash payouts. The handicaps for the riders are based on their original class and will be subtracted that from their cumulative time. Those with the lowest five cumulative times are paid awards, regardless of class.

The results from 6 previous dry races at Barber were used to calculate a handicap based upon the class winning time. When the handicap is applied to the four slower classes the cash winners could come from any class. Based upon the average time differential for the winners of each of the classes, the handicaps will be:

350GP = 6.7 seconds per lap;

500GP (except 500 Manx and G50) = 3.7 seconds per lap;

V-1 = 3.3 Seconds per lap; and

V-2 = 1.2 seconds per lap.

Formula 500 is the baseline and has been the fastest class over the years. 500 Manx and G50 riders have matched Formula 500 over the years and will run on a par with them.

1st = $150; 2nd = $125; 3rd = $100; 4th = $75; 5th = $50. I have put the prize money on deposit with WERA.

If this race is successful and produces increased participation at the Barber event, maybe we can apply this model to other events or races and attract more sponsors. Please plan on participating. We hope to double the usual grid.

2. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Ron, Cash you say? :)

So basically, any bike on the grid, that has a good day, could win some cash, right?

Kinda like the great equalizer, huh?

On the flip side, a mistake could cost you cash.

With the points and all that being totally separate from this "Dash for Cash", there appears to be no downside to this......??? Just the chance to win some cash, plain and simple.

Bravo for "Paying In" to support WERA Vintage Ron!

3. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

A mistake almost always costs you cash!

This is a great idea. I really hope it helps with grid sizes.

4. CharlieY

I thought it was a great Idea too Mark....Akin to Hinshaws deal several years back which helped with grids, but different.

I like the idea of a "Race within a Race" that the rider wont generally know the results of until the racing is done. All the rider needs to do is run fast and hard and see where the numbers land. The transponders wont lie! It also gives the rider a reason not to back off. Slack off and that guy behind you will take your cash, maybe without passing you!

I also gotta admire Ron here......there really is nothing in this for him, except the feeling he gets trying to help Vintage Racing with WERA. Pretty noble deal right there! Rons a good dude for a 2 stroke guy. :)(HA, wheres that poking icon thingy? :))

5. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

Great stuff, Ron!!!

6. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Remind me to switch transponders with Mark Morrow.

rd400racer likes this.
  7. CharlieY

I think Ron has his system worked out for a couple other tracks, so if anyone else wanted to kick in for another event, I think Ron has the data....

Ron.....???

8. ringdingding

Perhaps we could change the prize from cash to beer, (or wine for Mark) at another venue besides Barber.

1st place a case

2nd place a 12 pack

3rd place a 6 pack

I am sure there would be plenty of help to drink the beer or wine.

Charlie Y.....?

9. CharlieY

Well.....yea.....I would support that purse Rich!

I Think Ron has run the numbers on different tracks. Any type of purse sure would be good to help kickstart the series.

10. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

I brew beer. When I have taken a couple cases to share to the races, folks have come from the far corners of the pits to "sample" my work (in some cases they stayed for hours to conduct proper taste testing). However, I am not sure that anyone would drive hundreds of miles for beer.

I developed a spreadsheet to analyze the time differentials between the classes at a given track. It takes a few hours to do data collection for a given race at a given track. I may have some data on this race for Road Atlanta, but it is not complete. However, if the first event proves successful or someone wants to sponsor a handicap event for a different race or venue I would be happy to assist in that effort. But the first order of business is to get a good turnout at the Barber event on July 2.

Are you coming?

11. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Attract other sponsors indeed!!

I will be providing bubbles (wine, not beer) for the podium ceremonies in not only the time adjusted race, but also for all 3 class podiums, (f500.v1,350gp) so we can all have some good natured champagne spraying fun afterwards!

Rich-
    Make no doubt I intend to be the guy to beat, but you might want to check mylaps for the ast V1 guys times. Buff and Walker are both VERY quick on their v1 spec Hondas. Given the 3.3 sec/lap handicap, they will be hard to beat! Also consider that my best time there is a 48.9. Chris Spargo goes 5 secs/lap faster than that!! (long drive for him, but he's done it before...)

12. ringdingding

Well it was a silly idea really, a beer/wine prize, there is always lots of that at the races anyway. I am serious about switching transponders, thanks for telling me who the real hot shoes are. :D

bogganman likes this.
  13. bogganman

bogganman Well-Known Member

You don't need to switch transponders.just ride like you did at Roebling last year! $! I hope the v5 and f-2 stroke classes are included...

14. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

Hmmm.....H1 with new revised porting reed valve cylinders or Bighorn with 3.7 second handicap? Decisions, decisions.

Where do I pick up my $150? :)

15. bogganman

It's funny how some money gets everyone all amped up!:D I'll be there bitches!

16. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Great idea and support for Vintage racing Ron. Thanks for putting up where others just talk. And, Mark M - thanks for contributing.

I guess it is never too early for smack talk. But, really Jim? Who told you the I would be at Assen Moto GP that weekend and the B50 would not be running in 500GP?

Cheers,

Dave

17. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

News to me that you'll be at the Assen MotoGP. Enjoy. :D

18. ringdingding

Mm just picked up some hot chambers, my money is on him. (and my transponder)

19. bogganman

He's gonna need 'em.;)

ringdingding likes this.
  20. ringdingding

Thanks, that's true and it could rain.

I am looking at Mid-O in July. Mainly because its 7 hours closer and I feel like supporting it because the jerks at ahrma are deliberately trying to hurt attendance there.

Thanks to Mr Raven for supporting WERA again this year. I am guessing you were behind the Ravens V-2 stuff last year.?.