1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Cash Prizes - Barber - July 2

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Can-am, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Wera#3

Wera#3 Member

I will be there and give it a go. Sounds like fun

2. Wera#3

Wera#3 Member

I will be there. Should be fun

3. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Are you sure? :D

4. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

I will be there!

5. bj

bj Well-Known Member

Barber and Mid-O, back to back. Nice! Who's doing both?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, sorry about that. It will be a fun week for those who can do it.

7. Pro Speed Racin

Pro Speed Racin Well-Known Member

My next gen GSXR-750 goes where?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On the race track?

yamageezer likes this.
  9. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

Registration is now open. Who wants to win some cash?

10. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

I just picked up the bubbles.... We will be drinking or spraying (or both!) Conde de Subirats Cava from Spain. It's actually a pretty high quality sparkling wine, not some cheap swill. See tech sheet below if you desire more information. Ron is handing out $$$ for the top 4 in each class. Instead of splitting it up between classes, I'm going to give a bottle to the top 12 finishers, but it will be on aggregate time so everyone has a fair shot, not just the faster classes. Hope to see lots of people there!!

Conde de Subirats Brut N/V(sparkling)
    Winery: Conde de Subirats Region: Cava D.O.
    Grapes: 55% Macabeo, 40% Parellada, 5% Chardonnay
    Winery: The vineyards for this winery once belonged to the Subirats Castle, hence Conde de Subirats. As a commercial concern, the winery was started in 1948. In 1990 and 1991 the current vineyards were purchased and planted, including Chardonnay, a rarity at that time. A new winery building with the latest winemaking technology was started in 2003 with construction being completed in 2005. The estate vineyards are planted predominantly to Chardonnay, with lesser amounts of Pinot Noir, Macabeo, Xarel-lo and Parellada. Farming the vineyards is conducted vine by vine, with each vine getting differing amount of pruning, leaf thinning and irrigation based on a technical analysis of the soils and exposition of the vineyards. Wine: This wine is produced from grapes grown in the heart of Sant Sadurni d’Anoia, the birthplace of Cava, among the high altitude hills of the subregion of Espiells. The grapes are harvested early to maintain naturally fresh, crisp acidity and are then fermented, separately in temperature controlled stainless steel to maintain the optimum of bright fruit aromas. The base wines are then blended and bottled with a bit of yeast to age for 18 months on lees prior to disgorging. The dosage is made with the most neutral flavored liquor to allow the flavor of the original grapes to shine. Total residual sugar: 10.5 gm/liter.
    Reviews: “This is cava with character. It’s got floral and fruity notes, and a little bit of biscuit in the background. Although it has a slight hint of sweetness, this bubbly manages to remain wonderfully refreshing. And talk about a bargain!” 88 points Wine Review Online February 8, 2011 - Michael Franz “Non-Vintage Brut exhibits fresh, fruity aromatics leading to a crisp, savory, refreshing Cava for enjoying over the next 12-18 months.” 87 points Wine Advocate issue 194 May 2011 “A hint of nettle and stoniness balance this wine’s rich flavors of sweet apples and white raspberries. The texture is soft and full. For aperitifs” Best Buy 88 points Wine & Spirits August 2011

11. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

Thanks Mark. That is most generous. I am sure it will be fun. Note that I am paying the top five overall, regardless of class. With the handicap the cash winners can come from any class. See you there.

12. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

We had a great race for the top prize money in the "Irish Handicap". the margin of victory was just .36 of a second.
    Mark Morrow F500 $150
    James Walker V1 $125
    Jim Hinshaw F500 $100
    Dick Gruhn F500 $75
    Doug Bowie 350GP $50

Thanks to everyone who helped make this happen: particularly Evelyne who was willing to take a chance and stage a handicap race which has never been done here; Emily for working so hard to get the timing system to produce the data needed for the handicap calculations; and, Mark Morrow for donating champagne to the top 10 finishers.

The goal of this adventure was to try to find a way to increase the vintage grids. Our target was a 50 - 100% increase. We achieved a 25% increase. We will wait on feedback from participants and non-participants to decide whether to seek a sponsor to try another round (perhaps at the GNF). If you came and ran in the race, what did you think of the format? If you did not come, would you come if we ran it again?

The awards ceremony was great with checks and champagne. As soon as I figure out how to post a picture I will put one up. Thanks to everyone who came.

13. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

Mark Morrow, check and bottle in hand, being interviewed at the awards ceremony.

Handicap Race Awards.jpg

14. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I like the idea, seems like it worked well, but there seems to be a dearth of 500GP bikes in the mix. I'm in Germany, returning next week, so please arrange your race schedule better next time. :beer: Only one V1 bike and one 350 GP bike, with 3 F500 bikes. Was that a function of the handicapping or the participation?

Thanks for doing this.

Cheers,

Dave

Duck150 likes this.
  15. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

The list above was for the prize money. Participation was:
    F500 - 5
    V2 - 1
    V1 - 3
    350GP -6
    Total entries = 15. Recent historical average = 12. A slight increase but not what we hoped for. No 500GP bikes registered.

16. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

The list above was for prize money. The participation list was:
    F500 = 5
    V2 = 1
    V1 = 3
    350GP = 6
    500GP = 0
    Total participation was 15, which slightly beat the recent historical average of 12. So where were the 500GP bikes?

17. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

In addition to the cash prizes, drinking quality champagne was awarded to the finishers in 6 - 10 positions:
    John Cook V1
    Bill Johnson 350GP
    Jack Houman 350GP
    Bucky Sexton 350GP
    Steve Staser V2.

Prizes were distributed reasonably well across all classes in the field. Of course if we were to do it again we would review the handicaps.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Very cool - thank you Ron!!!

19. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

The 500 bikes were racing gp 350, all 500 are bumb up gp 350 bikes , mine a double bumb up Ducati 250 . I think David and Hinshaw are the only guys that have a real GP 500 bike

20. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

I will be back and hopefully I won't have bike problems. I think I know where the shifting problem is. But I know some more people that wanted to come but we're planning on Mid Ohio. I had an absolute blast even with all of my issues. I have a lot to learn and I look forward to seeing everybody at Tally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yamageezer likes this.