1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck/Van/Camping/etc.

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by ceebus, Dec 3, 2014.

1. clarustnb

clarustnb Well-Known Member

It does have one, and I absolutely could, but I don't normally put two race bikes in there, so I never really got around to getting a single rail. I have a hitch basket if all else fails. It's good for gas cans and pit bull stands, but it's easy enough to just pack vertically.

However, when it's 1 SV, 1 TTR90, and the canopy and gear it's loose enough back there to walk in between the bikes. After going to a van I would never consider a trailer ever again. It's nice being able to see everything when you're driving around.

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Any time I'm going trailerless I put the hitch carrier on for the gas cans.

3. ceebus

ceebus Well-Known Member

So for the van guys...

What about security at the track? I assume it's not a problem to leave all your stuff outside the van overnight while you're sleeping in it?

Don't get me wrong, I hear over and over again that racers are a great group of people, but it would only take one shit head for some expensive stuff to disappear while I'm sleeping or running out to dinner or something.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Everything I'd be concerned about could go back into the van, which is why I have an extended van instead of the short one.

5. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

I think my big concern with sleeping in a tent would be all the stand up guys here respecting you space and letting you get a good nights sleep.

6. I haven't had a single problem. Don't worry about it so much.

7. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Had to check the calendar when reading this thread. Same things were discussed 30 years ago, 'cept it was done face to face or over the phone that had a cord a a rotary dial. The only things that have changed are the vehicles involved. Old church vans were a hot comodity then. Only the brave or the true penny-pincher would try to tows a trailer with a VW Golf.

The only time I had concerns about theft was when we did the motel thing with the camping gear/trailer/truck/van/whatever i was driving at the time being parked outside the room. Never had an issue with stuff disappearing when staying at the track.

8. A little from column A and a little from column B.

9. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I never have experienced anything any close to a problem leaving my stuff out overnight at track days and races all over the midwest and SE. I've heard of people messing with bikes (suspension settings, keying, sand in the gas tank) but they are pretty rare for the most part.

I've camped at the track 20 yards from my pits and in hotels 10 minutes away. I've never worried about leaving all my tools, wheels, etc out in the open overnight or during the day.

10. ceebus

ceebus Well-Known Member

Cool. Sounds like nothing to worry about. I won't have anything nice enough to steal, and I'll try not to be such a prick that someone wants to key my bike. :)

Thanks for all the great advice in the thread.:beer:

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

But you won't always be at the track. Sometimes you'll be running late and have to sleep at the gate, or you'll be on a long trip and end up napping in a parking lot or at a rest stop. These are the times that it pays to have a little extra room in the van to stretch out. I try to keep everything modular when loading so if needed, I can pile things up and make space to spread my mattress out on the floor without unloading.

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

That combo works pretty well but the mileage sucks, get about the same with this as I did with a suburban when towing the 6x10 (11-12 mpg). I bought the Astro/Safari first, liked it so much I bought a second van to replace the suburban for towing big loads (diesel E350). Vans are where it's at.

[​IMG]

With the TRS I can put one bike in the Astro and still have room for a cot to set up next to it.

[​IMG]

AC for the summer. :D

[​IMG]

A small flat trailer works well for a couple of bikes, especially if you want the inside of the van already setup for camping. Only take a hit of a few mpg with this setup.

[​IMG]

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How does that enclosed trailer affect mileage when pulled behind the bigger van? Have you tried to close up the distance between the van and trailer?

I'm thinking that a trailer that's the same height/width of the van, with a front mounted AC, and a short receiver should keep wind disruption to a minimum, which will mean that I'll only get hit on mpg when accelerating or going uphill.

14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

There is drag down the sides of the trailer as well. Also ther is no way to get it close enough to prevent a decent amount of turbulence.

15. rhouck

rhouck wat?

I personally do a suburban with a hitchmount (versahaul) carrier. With the 3rd row seat removed and the middle folded down, it's about 8' of space iirc. Plenty to load it up with gear, and then sleep in the back at the track (have slept two people and two dogs in there).

I would have preferred a cargo van, but the suburban is a bit more versatile (and comfortable) the rest of the time. Cargo van plus keeping the e30 sounds like the best plan for you, though.

16. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

The big van is a diesel, that screws up the comparison. MPG only drops a few points towing that little trailer.

Between a cargo van and a suburban I would choose a passenger van. :D

I own both, only thing the Suburban really does better than my e350 van is drink lots of fuel. Truth be told the sub is marginally more comfortable (but not by a lot) and has 4wd, other than that the van wins hands down. The van can tow more, carry more, has more seating options, etc. etc..

17. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Van. This is my only vehicle other than street bikes. Once you get over the molester image and the fact it repels chicks, it is a truly handy vehicle. Purchased this from a daycare with only 80k original miles for $1500. I sleep in the front half, bikes and everything else go in the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

19. stimpee

stimpee Active Member

Ultimate Race Transport (tm)

I have been transporting my son and myself to most of the FL region CCS races this past year in our 2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan. We remove the middle seats, and fold the back seats down. We tie the bikes down to the rails in the floor used for the middle seats, and use our folding aluminum ramp across the van behind the front seats as the "stop" for the front wheels.

We fit two Ninja 250s, a Honda CRF50 pit bike, plus all our tools, gear, etc in this van with no troubles, just a bit of creativity and planning. We use a hitch carrier on the back for 2 gas cans and a big cooler. We sometimes stay in a hotel when we travel this way. I usually get 20-22 mpg with this setup depending on speed. The van could probably use some helper springs in the rear, since it looks like I have it lowered when it is loaded, but it gets the job done very well.

We also have a 16 year old gas motorhome. We have the Odyssey set up to flat tow behind the motorhome. Since we do not yet own a trailer, we sometimes load up the Odyssey with the bikes and gear, and drag it behind the motorhome as our trailer. Then we can use the van for local errands etc while away.

[​IMG]

We will likely be looking for a trailer soon, as my son is considering moving up to an SV or similar next year, and I plan to continue running the ninja a bit myself, so I am concerned we will be running out of space.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  20. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

For those worried about security, a large, hard-to-miss chain and a decent pad lock doesn't cost much, and deters amateurs.

Pros will get your stuff if they want it, no matter how it's secured...