1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck/Van/Camping/etc.

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by ceebus, Dec 3, 2014.

1. ceebus

ceebus Well-Known Member

I know I need to assemble my race bike and gear for the track, but another thing I could use some advice on is how to get there. Reading the forums, it would give me the impression I need a dually and a 40 foot toyhauler, but I'm sure that's not essential.

I currently have a beater E30 as my daily driver. I'm wondering if I would want to get an old van for bike transport only, or if I need to invest in a tow vehicle and trailer. I would really prefer not to replace my car with a truck/SUV because trucks are boring (sorry truck guys :p).

I'm limited to two vehicles or one vehicle + small trailer because of the size of my garage and driveway (and my wife's permission to buy additional toys).

Questions:
    - Open trailers? I could put a Kendon behind the BMW or the wife's Golf. It seems like security would be a major concern, and obviously I'll have minimal storage for gear and accessories. But I could have a fun daily driver the other 350 days/year. Am I going to get robbed immediately, especially at a hotel parking lot?

- Camping at the track. This is where the real fun happens right? Does anyone tent camp, or is that a huge pain in the ass?

- Thoughts on my race van idea?

- If I have to get a small enclosed trailer to do it right, can anyone recommend a tow vehicle that's actually fun to drive when not towing?

- Is it crazy to just uhaul every track weekend? I could rent a lot of cargo vans before I spend more than the cost of a van or truck+trailer plus maintenance.

- Any other options I'm not thinking about?

Thanks in advance!

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Van + small enclosed trailer. Depending on how far your trip is, you could keep the trailer loaded with bike/tools/gear and use the van as a mini camper (conversion van would be tits). If you're making a really long trip and want to save on gas, pack lightly and load the bike directly into the van so you'll get better gas mileage.

3. ceebus

ceebus Well-Known Member

Yeah, but then I have to drive a van every day!

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Thought you said you could have two cars?

5. ceebus

ceebus Well-Known Member

I can have two cars, or I can have one car and a trailer. Can't do a car + van + trailer. No where to put them.

If I could, I would be very interested in something like an Astro + 6x10.

6. I use my 2010 Volkswagen golf tdi to tow my bike. It drags the 5x8 uhaul enclosed trailer no problem at all. I would go that route for sure.

I camp in a tent and it kind of sucks. But I do it regardless because I like being near my bike.

I have also used the uhaul cargo van with no issues at all. Cheap and easy. Like you said you could rent a lot of uhauls for the price of a van and trailer. I like using the uhaul cargo van because a queen air mattress blows up perfect in the back of it once your unload your stuff.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Van plus trailer would be ideal. I have an E-350 and when it's just me, I haul everything inside the van.

8. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I've slept in my Ram 1500 several times, enclosed trailer too. Never tent camped but have seen people doing it

9. cccolin

cccolin Well-Known Member

that's what i wanted to hear.

10. ped

ped Banned

I got an 84 camper van with a hitch rack for sale. Hauled the bike thousands of miles with it. it's a full RV inside with 10g propane, toilet, stove, sink, bed, solar panels, etc. 120K miles $2200

[​IMG]

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

:D

[​IMG]

12. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

Harbor Freight folding trailer behind the E30 and go. Trailer can be had for cheap, tows easy, folds to store. I used one for a couple years with no issues.

13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Cayenne turbo would be fun to drive and can tow up to 7700lb. Hey - you didn't say anything about budget. :)

Seriously you can do it about any way you want including getting a good sized cargo van or just put a small trailer behind the E30 and camp with either. Van has the plus side of enclosed sleeping area for rainy nights and better security if you want to do the motel thing. Downside is that it is another vehicle to maintain and insure. Downside to towing with the E30 is that it will need more maintenance, even towing an open trailer. You also have limited capacity to bring stuff and very risky to do the motel thing unless you want to demand a ground floor room, unload the bike and roll it into the room.

Renting works, but you have to factor in the time to go get it, load it, unload it and return it.

14. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Once you get into racing your bike, having a car that is "fun" to drive will become secondary.

Getting to the track (safely, properly, comfortably) will become more important than having a fun little car to drive when not racing.

For the record, right now I am 2013 Tacoma, hi-top camper shell, and open 6x10 trailer.

For years I hauled in an open S-10 with no trailer, and tent camped....it was better in some places than others, but not bad overall if you do it right.

Just my .2c, but I'd never consider towing with a car as my intended setup.

OH, and that camper van is sweet.....that'd belike "Luxury". :beer:

15. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Draik and I went all over the Southeast in a VW jetta pulling a 4x6 open trailer and camped at almost every track. You'd be surprised what you can fit in and on that set up.

In 2013 we did a ride-share with another knoxville racer. We used our jetta to pull his 5x8 open trailer with two bikes.

It doesn't take a 42' toyhauler to go have fun and be successful at the track.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  16. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I do the 4x8 behind my wife's small SUV, and I sleep in the SUV. The seats fold flat, and I can (barely) fit a twin air-mattress inside. I've only done that in cold weather though. For warmer trips, I set up the tent.

I'm seriously considering putting a hitch on my corolla and buying a nicer tent.

This is by far the cheapest way to go. As the OP pointed out, "the other 350 days a year" yield fuel economy that a van couldn't possibly match. Towing is slow, and tolls are high, but it's such a small percentage of your driving that it's really worth it.

17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Pick up truck.. Couple EZ Ups... 1 for bike.. 1 for lounging... Back the truck under the EZ Up at night...:up: And Yes... The Hell with Hotels.... Except for Putnam..LOL

18. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

These are not pics of my exact setup, but it's all very similar to what I have:

folded trailer ($350 or less, with plywood and hardware):
    [​IMG]

buy the pit-bull TRS, and loading/unloading on your own is a snap. Plus you NEVER worry about the bike tipping on the trailer.

Then invest in a GOOD tent with room for you, plus your stuff (I don't know how they calculate the number of people a tent will fit, but I think their estimates are about double what you can actually fit)

[​IMG]

top it all off with a small heater, and a quiet generator.

19. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Hey you described my situation.

A 5x8 vee enclosed with side door. It's easy to tow, will hold 2 bikes and gear, fits into a garage, and has plenty of room to sleep. Store your fuel in a rack on the tongue so you don't have to deal with fuel smells. Buy a large camping cot and futon or foam, portable AC, small fan, small ceramic heater, Fire/CO2 alarm and quiet generator.

This opens up car options tremendously. Tow vehicle: Almost any small 6 cyl SUV or truck. Audi Q5/BMW X3/Infiniti FX are fun. Maybe Escape ECO, Nissan Frontier...plenty to choose from. I went with the Q5 diesel and get 33 mpg in the suburbs and 19-20 towing at 73mph cruise. Lately though the price of diesel vs unleaded has me thinking about using our Acadia for towing. Who could have predicted <$100...$90...$80...$70 per barrel oil a year ago?

It's not crazy to just rent a trailer. The most often complaint is the lack of tie downs in some trailers, but there are portable tie down systems available.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  20. ricracer16

ricracer16 Well-Known Member

I currently use 12' Jeep Liberty w/ Lowes open 5x8 and tow 2 sportbikes just fine. Only thing is that the trailer doesn't fold up so it takes an entire parking space in my garage, the other issue is that I live in NYC and we have a lot of parkways and using a trailer on them is illegal. I am planning on getting rid of the trailer and getting myself a passenger van to haul and sleep in while at tracks. I thought of the commercial vans but again you can't drive commercial vehicles on parkways in NYC.