1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck/Van/Camping/etc.

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by ceebus, Dec 3, 2014.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Now THAT is a creepy van:up:

2. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Well, creepy in a "SWEET" kinda way!

Nice looking rig Kris. :up: It looks like the ultimate in function for a racing endeavor sir.

3. DHuskic

DHuskic Active Member

Do you have to do any mods to the van to get the maximum carry weight up or do most vans have one high enough for 2 bikes plus gear?

4. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

It's usually high enough but you will have to do the math for a specific application to be sure. Me, couple of bikes and all the crap work out to under the ~1600 for the Astro/Safari. An E150 has a rating of over 3k lbs IIRC.

5. tracaddict

tracaddict Well-Known Member

Started using a 2007 Chevy Savannah work van 3500 for my race hauler last year. On far trips I have trailer restraint in the back and plenty of room for spare tires, rims and tools if I dont want to pull the trailer. Just sleep in the back in a bag and keep the bike under and ezup at night get 14-16 mpg. Wish I would have done this setup years ago. My issue is mr12 vapor killing me on the way home, even if I drain the bike and containers are closed it still gets really bad.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You may or may not be able to do this with a Chevrolet, but after dealing with the same problem, I tracked down some venting rear door windows off of an old conversion van at a junk yard (the kind that pop out at the bottom). I can open these and either crack a front window or even turn on the hvac and the vacuum created at the rear of the van when moving will draw all of the fumes right out.

7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

You could put a hitch rack on the back for the fuel cans. That would probably help.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Except the cans are sealed. He's smelling whats in the bike. I've used the rack for fuel cans since day 1, what prompted me to do the vent windows was heat from the bike at the end of the day and fumes from the fuel that had run down the overflow tube into the belly pan.

9. tracaddict

tracaddict Well-Known Member

I always drain the fuel, then run the bike till it stalls then run and rev for a few minutes with pump and make sure all the cans and jugs have caps on tight. But fumes can be overwhelming. And that's coming from a racer, had my girlfriend get in the van a week later and flipped shit cause "it smelt like my stupid race bike". Either way Im no chemist but believe the fumes have to settle in the belly pan or in the exhaust of the bike. If anyone has suggestions who actually race and have experiences this fire away.

10. ped

ped Banned

hitch carrier

11. 418

418 Expert #59

Sealed cans smell too. Don't ask why, they just do.

I transported about 15 unopened VP cans to the track in a enclosed trailer a few years back for a friend (vendor). I had to air out the trailer all day and it still stunk that night.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Also remember - those vapors are bad for you, really really bad. Figure out a venting system for the entire van.

13. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I loved the smell of Sunoco 110 when driving to the track. That fuel left no lingering smell either.

14. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

As far as sleeping options go, I gave up motels for a tent a few years ago when I'm racing. If you're a seasoned camper as I am, then no rain or cold is much hindrance. There are exceptions of course. And I haven't had to deal with Southern heat and humidity for a long time. My sleep recipe is typically an antihistamine and earplugs. Sleep like a baby.

Do whatever saves you the most bucks and allows you to race as much as possible.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I do like to camp in a tent, but when I say camp, I mean camp, like in the woods, or on the river. And I prefer when it's a little cooler outside.

When I go to the track I want to be as comfortable as I can be (within reason, no 40ft toyhauler here) so I take the van. AC, no leaky roof, no air mattress, no mosquitoes, it's nice and quiet, and it's secure.