1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck/Van/Camping/etc.

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by ceebus, Dec 3, 2014.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It is tough to beat a van for race duty. If I didn't daily drive mine so often I'd set it up more permanently and leave it loaded all season. And I really don't have much more money in it than I would if I bought a nice dual axle enclosed trailer.

2. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

I'd just move out of NYC. No trailers or commercial vehicles on parkways. STUPID.

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

It isn't just NYC. Baltimore Washington Parkway and the George Washington Parkway here in the DC area don't allow commercial trailers or any vehicles over 10,000lb GVWR.

4. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

I get a commercial trailer and large trucks, but a small utility trailer shouldn't matter, even an enclosed one.

5. ped

ped Banned

I've noticed no is sending me PM's right away either :D

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What year is that van? 350 engine?

7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Agreed. Unfortunately my Touareg TDI and 5200lb rated 6x12 v-nose puts me over 11k GVWR, not that it would ever weigh close to that for a trip to the track. I could probably get away with it because most 6x12 around here don't have brakes and are rated for 3000lb. The police wouldn't know the difference until they stopped me and looked at the plate on the side of the trailer. In any case, I wouldn't take the chance. A bit of time lost isn't worth risking a big fine. Fortunately, using a parkway would only cost me significant time over the alternatives if I were to head up to Pitt race for a track day, which is unlikely.

8. ped

ped Banned

'84 305

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Carbed then. You're in Ohio. How's the rust?

People ask about my van all the time, so I could point somebody to yours

10. ped

ped Banned

little rust spots here and there. Pretty good for its age though. AC works, new brakes, fresh tune up, new exhaust, etc.

11. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I raced for 13 years out of a VW Eurovan. The last couple of years I ran two bikes. I could fit both bikes and all my gear inside. Tent camping sucks and in the SE it can get very hot. I built an A/C unit that fit the driver side window so I could have a cool place to go during the day and be comfortable at night. A $35 cot from WalMart proved to be incredibly comfortable. The Chevy Astrovan is similar in size and can be had for cheap. With 2 bikes and gear inside, cruising at 80 mph with the A/C on I got 21 mpg. I hate the hassle of trailers and the potential theft issues. Nobody thought I had bikes in the back of a VW van which gave me peace of mind.

12. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uhaul Van.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using my 2010 TDI Golf. This was a pit stop on my trip across country last month @ LVMS. My trailer weighed well over 3000lbs and I averaged 24mpg across the whole country doing 75-80mph. And before one of you monkeys says anything, yes the bike was strapped down after the picture.

Biggest thing that helps with any of this is one of those Baxley Wheel Chocks. I have my buddy mikes (who i still have to pay SOMETHING for it!, i know you're reading this!) I generally load by myself and roll around alone. It's super helpful to be able to just roll the bike in and have it stay up.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  13. ceebus

ceebus Well-Known Member

Thanks. Is your TDI a manual or DSG?

Are you saying that not only are you in Knoxville and starting to race an SV, but you also have a VW TDI? This is getting creepy.

That is fantastic. I'm actually tempted.

Budget would allow for a first year Cayenne Turbo but that wouldn't leave any cash left for racing. Or the crushing maintenance costs on an old Cayenne Turbo!

Yes, part of me is thinking about something like this. I could probably be content with something like an X3 or Toureg. I guess the question here is spend money on nice daily driver or spend it on more track time.

Could anyone link me to such a portable tie down?

This makes sense. I was thinking the biggest downside of the tent would be the summer heat. And the van seems like a good option for security sake.

Thanks everyone for the input so far!

I'll change my mind 100 times before I pull the trigger, but at this point I'm thinking I'll probably start out doing the uhaul cargo van thing. If that works out, I'll probably watch for a good Astro find on craigslist. Or maybe I could trade into an E39 and get a small enclosed trailer.

Either way, I'd really like to spend as little as possible on transport so I can spend that money on race fees and tires instead. :)

14. My TDI is a DSG and I drive it in manual mode with the paddle shifters when I'm towing. I do use 6th to cruise along as long as I'm not on steep hills. It tows like a champ. I love that damn car.

I used a Curt trailer hitch and the Curt Trailer wiring. You can buy them on Amazon for less than $200 for the whole setup.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What year is that TDI? I want one!

16. 2010! Love mine more than any of the other 30cars I've owned.

17. clarustnb

clarustnb Well-Known Member

My $.02. I have a 2003 Ford e150 with the tiny V6 motor [Thanks Bobby Kim]. You can find one for sale from $3-4k. Mine is the cargo version, short bed. No trailer required. I installed a 4 person seat behind the drivers seat and can still fit the race bike, pit bike, and all the gear you would need. When you get to the track a futon mattress or air mattress fits in between the wheel wells.
    If you're dealing with a tent, you're dealing with rain. That's a deal breaker for me. You also get to avoid the 50% third axle toll tax too.

If you want to 'push' it, you can load up 2 race bikes and the pit bike, but you have to get really 'tetris' with things.

17mpg, a free place to sleep, and for me - an acceptable daily driver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Oh man! Those pictures are making my blood pressure rise. I couldn't have all my stuff piled up on itself like that:D Things need their place. And my dog needs room to chill while we're driving.

19. clarustnb

clarustnb Well-Known Member

Agreed - I don't enjoy packing 'to the gills' but sometimes when your buddy needs a lift to the track you have no other options.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Does your van have a receiver hitch? If so you can get one of those single rail bike carriers for your pit bike & gas cans.