1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy Hauler Info

Discussion in 'General' started by ScottyRock155, Jan 27, 2015.

1. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

So I've been shopping for a toy hauler (for about 5 years) and I think I'm ready to finally pull the trigger. Before I do, I was curious to hear stories from the people who have them and lessons learned or things you wished you had thought about up front.

I've researched truck towing capability, brake controllers, load leveling hitches, RV brand quality and reputation, and many other things. I have a Honda 3000 generator, and it looks like I'll need a bigger one to run A/C and tire warmers at the same time.

I'm leaning, I just need that final little push that this really is a good idea. :D

2. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

It's not. Seriously - if your primary purpose for it is racing/track time then get yourself a quality cargo trailer and add the amenities such as roof a/c.

Toyhaulers are close to boats in the 'set your money on fire' factor. Sold my Weekend Warrior at a great loss after three years because a hidden leak ended up destroying the floor. Not to mention the wheel bearing that failed on the way to a race, electrical issues, excessive fuel costs, extra fees for hookups, etc etc.

3. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

I have a livin lite (aka vrv, atc etc) and love it. All aluminum so no chance of water damage. It's light as hell, tows well, and it's so nice to wake up and shower in your own place.

Www.livinlite.com

4. ScottyRock155

Did you buy new? I'm looking at a used one so the initial depreciation is already gone.

I am using it for the track, but I want to use it for camping also. I sleep in my current cargo trailer on a cot in certain situations. I was looking at buying a 8x20 trailer and building one with a/c and stuff, but I'd have just as much in it as a used toy hauler.

5. GrayGhost

I bought it pre owned. I also had been using a converted cargo trailer that had a/c and adding beds and a bathroom the way I wanted to was just going to push the price too high. I found a 2010 model livin lite 8.5x16 and jumped on it.

6. ScottyRock155

I've heard stories like that, but the model I'm looking at is a highly reviewed company that is still in business.

I'm more worried about the headache of dealing with it. I've tried to consider the towing mpg, the hookup fees, maintenance, but I'm trying to make sure there isn't something important I haven't considered.

7. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

could you give me a hint of a price to expect to pay for a good used one like that, they look very cool

8. GrayGhost

$15k USD usually

9. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Do you make it to Bham at all?
    I could walk you through mine (a 5er) and show you what I changed, and the good and bad, +initial things to buy you dont think about.

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

If I could find one of these in a fifth wheel, I'd be all over it.
    http://www.trailersforsale.com/Campmaster_Page.htm
    Unlike an RV, they're built. I've never heard a bad word about 'em.

Simple, basic. They're vehicle haulers first, w/ separately installed living quarters that aren't trying to emulate the North Fork Ranch in Dallas while giving you a closet for a garage.

11. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Scotty,
    I have mine for sale asap.

12. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Just buy my 5th wheel instead. ill make you a good deal

13. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Sure... they are a pain in the ass and are certainly money pits. That said, I absolutely love mine. I bought new in 2012 (newly released 2013 model) to ensure that I was getting exactly what I wanted. A front bedroom was a big deal for me. I did enough research up front so that I knew exactly what I wanted, and this helped with any potential buyer's remorse after the fact. I was happy to pay a premium to get what I wanted versus saving a few thousand dollars and wishing I had X, and Y was different, etc.

I cannot overstate how nice it is to have a toyhauler after a day at the track. Most of the rounds I do are double-headers. Add in a trackday, and that's 3 days of riding. I typically get to the track the day before, so most race weekends for me are 4 days. It's awesome to get off the track, hop in the shower, blast the A/C or heater (depends on the season), get my music going, start heating up a frozen pizza in the microwave, crack open a beer(s). At night, I can lay in bed watching TV or reading my book. It's super quiet, and I have a nice-sized bed to lay out on. I can take pre-race nervous dumps all the way up until 2nd call.

I always keep it super clean, and I take care of any and all issues immediately. This keeps everything manageable. I had a few issues when I first bought the unit, but everything was covered under warranty and fixed by the dealer. The trailer stays under a cover when it isn't being used, and I swear it looks brand-new even after nearly 3 seasons of pretty regular use.

Anyway, I say go for it! I started building an enclosed trailer and even had a deposit on one. After all was said and done, I ended up spending a few thousand dollars more for a brand-new toyhauler, and I haven't looked back.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Details?

15. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

Greenhound386...That's a nice hauler... And one I looked strongly at... but could not find on the east coast...maybe I didn't look hard enough

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This is the one! I cannot believe the GARBAGE people spend six figures or more on.

17. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Thankyou mate. Very impressed with that price.

18. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

100% aluminium as well. Half the weight, last twice as long.

[​IMG]

19. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Thankyou mate. Very impressed with that price.

20. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

It is a Stealth SK2112. Made by Forest River. Depending on the market, the same trailer is sold as the Shockwave or the Sandstorm.