1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy Hauler Info

Discussion in 'General' started by ScottyRock155, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

To the OP: I just remembered my only regret, but it wasn't forseeable. The 2014 trailers started coming with black trim. Wish I had that, as the white can turn yellow over time.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yeah, now I'm dreamin'. :D
    It is what would work, and save me $50K+ in the purchase of a new tow truck.
    Custom interiors to the customer's designs and all that, yeah, definitely a keeper. I don't think I can toy with that price tag any time soon, tho'.

3. I have to disagree. Getting that toy hauler completely transformed the track experience. It is so great to have a "home at the track". Nothing like laying in a Queen size real bed and watching a movie, then going to sleep and waking up and drinking coffee, taking a shower and having some breakfast, then walking out into the middle of my pit.

And Lora can go in and cook lunch, then several of us can sit in the living room and eat and watch TV or something and relax.

The way I see it, if somebody already has a trailer and just wants to add some AC and a bed and is trying to save money, go for it. But if we are talking about buying something from scratch, I would opt for the most comfortable, home-like option.

4. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

My wife and I have stayed in pimped out cargo trailers for 19 yrs. we finally decided to get a fifth wheel at the end of 2013. Found a new Cyclone 3110 at a high volume dealership in DTW. It was worth the drive for us. Retail on the unit was 79k, after negotiating, we got it down to 49k. That was with an additional tv in the bedroom, canopies over all the slide outs, and adding a mor ride hitch. Slide outs are what really transforms a trailer into a living area. Yes, we have had issues, but I make a list, buy my supplies to fix things before we leave for the track and spend my "waiting for the gate to open time" fixing things. It works for us. Wish we had done it sooner. PM if you have questions, good luck with the decision.

5. :stupid:

Slides are what make ALL the difference. Mine also has 3 slides and it completely transforms the inside of it. We have had as many as 10 people in the living room area hanging out and eating pizza and didn't feel cramped.

I wouldn't buy one without at least 2 slides (one in the living room and one for the bedroom).

6. As far as the generator, I would get at least a 5k. I believe mine is a 5500 Onan. I can run the A/C, plus all the normal stuff like fridge, fans, TVs, clocks, etc and also have 2 sets of warmers going at all times (and have had as many as 3 going).

I would also look for one with an additional gas tank. Mine has an outside fueling station that holds 30gal, and it is plumbed into the generator. Even with all of that stuff running I can go all weekend without having to put more gas in it.

7. GSmann

GSmann Well-Known Member

Water intrusion was the constant battle for me when buying used. Take the time to really look at the ceiling (inside cabinets) and look down the sides for de-laminating. Don't ignore what you see.

Also get one big enough to spend time in. Ours was so small all we did was sleep in it. Spent most of the time outside under the awning

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  8. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

I 2nd everything Chaotic said about the following; Slides, Genny, onboard fuel. I went from no slides to 1 mega slid, and our next one will have at least 2, probably 3, but this was a cheap upgrade for me before the twins, not the one we will use long term for our next purchase.

I've got a 4,500 Onan with 27gals fuel, granted I haven't used it for track/racing, but it powered our trailer and another all weekend at some dirt track races last year in the late fall, and that was powering everything, heater fans, fridges, griddles, etc. Next one I would like to get a 5,500 though just for the extra.

I also love having a solar trickle charger that the first owner had installed, makes life nice over the summer months when not in use.

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I run the AC in mine and a set of tire warmers off an EU3000.

Went to Ohio this past weekend and picked up a used Jayco 161, will be perfect for all the solo trips I make.

[​IMG]

10. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Our first toy hauler was the Coachmen version of that same model. Blast 150. Good solid hauler and built like a tank. It towed good and we never experienced any significant issue with it other than my wife became allergic to it. It was much heavier than the listed weights but that's nit picking at it.

We had to get rid of it and we can only buy GREEN sticker haulers now due to her allergy. Formaldehyde is the problem and she is highly allergic to it and its by products. The FunFinder XT276 we have now is a GREEN sticker hauler and no allergy issues with it.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Got to ask, what are you all using to tow these things?

12. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Big trucks :D

13. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Yeah, man stuff, not sure DaveK would know about that.

F250 CCLB 6.4L mildly modded

14. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Is it just you or the whole family? That was the big question for us.

15. Duramax 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, with 5" Turbo-back exhaust (DPF and DEF deleted), Cold Air Induction with EFI Live tuner, and upgraded suspension with additional "Super Springs" in the back.

16. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

I'm using a similar rig to tow the 37ft 5th wheel we use.

2500 crew cab 4x4, Dmax, with dual 5" turbo-back exhaust, predator tune, and firestone airbags. Tows like a dream, and we get about 9-10mpg if we're not running 80.

We're usually running 80 though, and get 8mpg fully loaded.

FWIW, the toy hauler is the best thing since sliced bread... just do it.

17. That is my experience also. Since getting rid of all of the bullshit, i typically average about 9mpg (41' 5th wheel). It is possible for me to see double digits, but i have to drive way slower than what my patience will allow.

18. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I'll be pulling it using a HD 1500, the trailer is listed at 5400lbs empty and my tow rating is right at 10k. I think with a load leveling hitch it would work. I fully expect single digit mpg, I only get about 12 pulling a 6x12 V nose.

19. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

I tow mine with a Lexus lx470 , average 10mpg @ 60mph. Dave K will like this, but I'd be towing with an Audi q5 tdi if the reliability was better (too many injector and ad blue pump failures).

20. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Diesel van on road trips, short trips Astro/Safari van.