1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy Hauler Info

Discussion in 'General' started by ScottyRock155, Jan 27, 2015.

1. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Totally agree on the bad neighborhood thing, bad weather no issue though. I've been stormed on pretty bad with no water intrusion or other issue. I have given thought to the secret aspect though. Sleep armed lol

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

And don't race in bear country :D

3. Absolutely.

The main thing i was going for when i went toy hauler hunting was that i didnt want any _____/______ situations. I didnt want a living room/bedroom, or garage/living room. I didnt want to have to compromise any individual room and i didnt want to have to worry about unloading the garage just to sleep.

We rarely make it all the way home because i do so many races and the day finishes late, then it takes like 2hrs to get everything packed up. We drive a couple of hours or so, then find a truck stop. l pull in, unhook the truck, turn the generator on, let the bedroom slide out and boom. We are set for the night.

4. As far as the gas tank, ive never noticed it sucking. 36gal tank at 9mpg (while towing the TH) = 324 miles or range. Which means at 80mph i can go 4hrs between fill-ups. I cant stand being in a vehicle or sitting still for more than a couple of hours anyway. The range on the truck is a lot longer than my personal range.

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Just curious, when you park at a truckstop for the night to sleep, why do you unhook the truck?

6. Because the truck is lifted and i can't get the TH level with it hooked up. It will aggravate the shit out of me being unlevel all night and i wont sleep.

7. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

Chris, if the front of the TH is high, because of your truck lift, is that putting more strain on the rear axle-tires of the TH when you are towing? I was thinking being level distributes the load between the three axles, but your setup may be shifting the trailer load more to the aft axle-wheels....you said you were having tire issues? just wondering.

8. Ive thought about it, but there is no pattern to my tire blowing. Ive blown all 6 of them and have actually blown more front tires than rear tires.

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I see, can't have the cheese flowing to one side of the burger! (Or cases of water rolling around)

I'm assuming with a standard height truck, there's no need to unhook?

10. Exactly. :D

Probably not. I guess it depends on the truck. Mine was kinda tall at stock height. But even if you didn't unhook, I'd still put the feet down just to unload the suspension. Might be unnecessary, but I don't see any sense in leaving it compressed for 12-14hrs for no reason.

11. Flying998

Flying998 Well-Known Member

My Cyclone had all sorts of tire issues... How could I possibly be going through 4 tires/season was beyond me until the insurance company became involved. I always meticulously checked pressures before every trip (just like before the warmers come off), always loaded within ALL published weight numbers (most race weekends with the bike & golf cart were within 200# of MCGW - I did a few trips to the local CAT Scale when I first got the unit), and never ran over curds, hit ditches, etc...

Long story short: suspension alignment (in my case was jacked from the factory upon delivery) and tire selection (always ran the same TOWMAX tires the factory sold the unit with). The moral of the story is- start with a straight suspension and get the hangers stiffened from a quality shop (nothing but welding a 2x2 metal piece laterally between the hangers for each axle and would be under $500 for a triple axle unit) and then install the Goodyear G614 tires (pricey, but will not fail like the other "standard" tires thus in the long run cheaper - not to mention NO headaches on the drive home at night).

I have learned the hard way that this is a MUST DO item for those towing 5Ws... You'll pay the price sooner or later so might as well do it right the first time and on your terms!

12. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

+100 !

13. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Yep, I even do this with my 1/2 ton / 14' enclosed.... even if for a day at the track. Stays hooked up, I just place 2-3 concrete bricks under the jack, and a few turns to lift it up a bit (not all the way).

14. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Getting good quality tires for your trailer, and getting & keeping them balanced helps also. Most peeps don't balance their trailer tires. And get & use tire covers when you're not using it. Keeps them from dry rotting as fast without.

15. tikki50

tikki50 Well-Known Member

16. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Damn! Mine is 26gal.

Are you running airbags? I was going to come by at the Road A N2 event to see, but I didn't want a punch to the head.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  17. Yeah it came stock with a 36 gal tank. Costs an assload at fillups but can go for a while.

I'm not running bags. I put some stiffer shocks (Bilstein) on it and added some "Super Springs" to the back.

18. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Good to know. FWIW, the airbags make it super nice with a full load.

I wish mine had another 10 gallons... 26 is a joke.

19. RED675

RED675 Well-Known Member

All of the 2011 and newer Chevy/GMC's come with the 36 gallon tank, I think the 2007.5-10 had the smaller 26 gallon. I'm sure they went back to the bigger tank due to the horrible fuel mileage of the newer emissions equipt trucks. Of course if/ when you delete that crap it's a win-win with better fuel economy and a bigger tank for extended range.

20. :up:

With mine modded like it is, I can get 23mpg on the interstate driving like an asshole. With that mpg and that 36gal tank I can go forever. I'm ready to stop long before I need fuel.