1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tires

Discussion in 'General' started by Jaketheone46, Aug 1, 2019.

1. condon66

condon66 Member well known

There are times when you wish the session was longer but, being that you will be there all day it's actually good having the breaks. It's both physically and mentally draining in a way you just don't experience through street riding. After a break and a good previous session, you go out feeling fresh and can apply the the gains you've made with a rested mind and body. Also, you use the down time to talk to a control rider and maybe ask one to follow you in the next session and offer some advice on what you may need to work on. It's not that expensive to dabble into so, you really should just do it. If you enjoy sport-riding, it will be the most fun you've ever had on your bike.

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Tell you what, if you get your act together and come up to PittRace, I will provide canopy, power, stands, tire warmers, pit assistance, and advice. At the end of a 20 minute session you are ready for a 40 minute break, trust me.

Ducti89, ronin1052, mpusch and 2 others like this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

I usually end up skipping a session.

ronin1052 likes this.
  4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

See that, a nice hug from the beeb. I am now sure mankind will survive. Well done

K51000 likes this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

Shut up, we are mean girls

:D

6. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

You know what your right, I guarantee I’d be ready for a break in that atmosphere. And thanks. I’m gonna have to look for a track bike.

7. Jaketheone46

Do
    I’m going to for sure I’ve been debating on getting a dedicated track bike so I can just go out and have a fun. I bet there’s nothing better.

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

I've gone out there on my street bike when I didn't have a track bike, or my track bike was in pieces.

Still fun on 2 wheels :)

9. Jaketheone46

Dont you have to drill and tie every single bolt on a track day?? Its tempting.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Doesn't hurt to check and do the basic wiring like oil filler, brakes, oil filter, but most TD orgs don't require it. If you race, then yes, it's a requirement.

11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Read the requirements for the class and organization you’re interested in riding with.

BigBird likes this.
  12. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

Nice to see this dumpster-fire thread taking a more-positive turn...apologies in advance for a long-winded reply...

This

Great example of the supportive Trackday atmosphere/vibe. Well-played, rd49.

This

And this - an Absolute Necessity for my battered 54-y.o. carcass.

Don't let lack of a dedicated trackbike get in your way, Jake. Seriously.
    I've been riding my street bike(s) on the track for 7 seasons so far...although I'm seriously considering a dedicated rig going forward.

I've come to realize that the countless hazards of the street (e.g. critters, gravel, shitty pavement, rock walls, trees, unconscious cagers, LEO...) are FAR more scary than the track.
    It may seem counter-intuitive, but to me track environments offers significant safety advantages:
    • 40-ft width, w/ generally uniform tarmac properties and run-off space (where I ride anyways, YRMV) .
    • Mandatory protective gear requirements - much more than most typically wear on the street.
    • Medical assistance, corner personnel & on-track CRs, quick to respond to off-track 'excursions'.
    • Common 'sense of purpose' among most attendees (Yes, there are still squids harboring day-wrecking potential...).
    Low-cost startup gear is readily available with shrewd shopping. My first 1-pc. suit was perfectly serviceable, well-built, and near-new, I got it for $80.
    A few years ago, I paid $125 on fleabay for a near-new Syed suit, I was the only bidder.
    Once the hooks are firmly in ya, you can always step-up your gear game over time to lessen the $$ pain.

I had 28 years street experience before my first track day, thought I did it pretty well.
    It was absolutely eye-opening to me how much more intense Track riding was compared to the street! And I'm slow!
    You really can't "get there" on the street. Or if you think you can, you are criminally and insanely irresponsible.

DO EET!!!
    You won't regret it. Ask anyone on this BBS, they'll all tell ya...if they haven't already...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  13. Jaketheone46

Tell me more about these track day squids, this way I don’t come in as one myself. Lol no but really what would a track Day squid be?? I mean the gear and all is required so it can’t be the normal squid scenario out riding in Shorts and Sandles.

14. tack514

tack514 Well-Known Member

I am just down the road from ya in G-town. I have most tools needed for any safety wiring and have zero problem helping or answering any questions you may have about the track. I am no "expert" on anything, but would gladly pass on what I do know. Almost forgot...I am slow as well.

ronin1052 and BigBird like this.
  15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Show up with a liter bike on somebody’s takeoffs:)Poke:). Come to the rider’s meeting wearing a new Dainese suit, new pucks, top-of-the-line Dainese boots, with your Dainese helmet perched on top of your head, and sunglasses sitting on the back of your neck. Talk to your buddies during the meeting because you’re such a badass and know everything already. Think that covers it.

K51000 and track wagon like this.
  16. ronin1052

Ha!

Then - the lightbulb flashes on...and you realize...IT ACTUALLY IS A RACE!!!

And of course, since you're The Alpha Dog, it's all about You! So sharpen up those elbows, get out there and Win. That. Trackday.

Early bird gets the worm...so the out-lap is a great time to get a jump, pin it to win it!
    Big, swoopy lines are very helpful here, as is super-heavy braking on turn-in...drive your opponents craaaazy with 'park it and box-out' technique.
    Like a Boss.

pscook likes this.
  17. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

Make sure you sign up for A group for your first day when doing this.

But if you're planning on being reasonable, you'll be in C group and everyone will be parking it in the corners and going generally slow. If you go faster than them, great, grab someone from the trackday org and ask for a bump up / evaluation and go faster until you run into your current skill wall.

pscook, gixxerboy55 and ronin1052 like this.
  18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

And make sure they are Shinko take offs, LOL

19. ronin1052

What Phanuel said.

Those very first sessions, go in with your eyes and mind wide open. Assume nothing about your skills relative to others, you'll discover that soon enough.
    Just go with the Flow, work to fit in.
    Even if the pace may feel familiar (not my case at all IIRC), riding in close proximity to others is a different sensation altogether. It takes some getting used-to.

It's quite humbling when you start to 'get it' in a few corners. Pace picks up, you're feeling badass...and a CR comes howling past you mid-corner, casually looking back, sipping on a cuppa Joe...

Don't force it, don't get impatient or frustrated. Let the track come to you. The speed develops with time & practice.
    Sometimes I still chuckle in certain turns, comparing those early days of terror/exhilaration to my current pace/state of mind.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    BigBird likes this.
  20. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Do it. You wont regret it. Used gear is available at great prices. I bought an AGV Suit for $250 in great condition. Bought it big so I can layer in cold weather.

I also bought my hot weather suit brand new for $350 ish IIRC. Its the new version of Sedici from cycle gear and feels very well made to me. I feel just as safe as I do in my AGV suit. I also wear the Sedici gauntlet gloves and boots. It ain't Dianese but it is adequate. I also have their back protector. I'm very well protected for my $$$ and am safely enjoying track days.

It is without a doubt the most fun you can have on a bike. I'm still a new rider and dont race like a lot of these guys, but I have been on track basically the entire 3 years that I've been on riding motorcycles (first track day was 30 days after I bought my bike). If I was out there you can be too. And the first 1.5-2 years I rode my streetbike on the track.

ronin1052 likes this.