1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tires

Discussion in 'General' started by Jaketheone46, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

guys I have always ran race tires, and I’ve heard all the you can’t get them up to temp on the street post but in my experience they have more grip than a normal street tire even when still a bit on the cool side. My last ride on regular street tires almost ended badly and I spent the rest of that day with zero confidence in the tires. Here the past 2 years being back from a long extent of not riding I’ve tried more of a street track tire. The pirelli supercorsa sp v2 and they seemed great. Tires have came so far it makes me wonder how good some of the others are but I don’t want to loose that fast turn in feel that the race tire profile gives. Can anyone recommend a street track tire that still has the race profile?? I’ve looked at the Michelin power rs, the Dunlop q4 and the pirelli Diablo rosso Cora’s or whatever they call em. Last year I did try a metzler M7rr at deals gap and was amazed at the abuse it took. But this was just a rear with a racetech on the front. I’m wondering if a front would take more from my quick turn in?? The m7rr lasted about 1,500/2,000 miles and it was done on the left edge down even with the bars. Not worried about getting a bunch of miles but why not if there so darn good these days.

2. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

I just picked up a set of Pirelli TD's for my bike. A few of my close buddies swear they're amazing and a couple of them came from buying slicks to these.

3. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

While a great tire....slicks will provide more traction than the TD tire...it is not designed to be an all out race tire like a slick is. I'm sure they are much better suited to a trackday rider not really pushing the limits.

4. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

I'd steer away from any race tire on the street simply for the fact they are not designed for that environment. Heat cycles, warm up time being the two issues that come to mind. Not to mention...you can't even use the stick a race tire offers on the street...not even close.

ducnut likes this.
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Running slicks on the street is what you're suggesting?

track wagon likes this.
  6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It looks cooler from behind.

Ra.Ge. Raptor, Phl218 and ducnut like this.
  7. Suzuka_joe

he's asking for a street tire. the Pirelli TD or Dunlop Q4 are phenomenal options for a street tire you can take to the track.

8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Or when parked in the parking lot during bike night. :D

9. Jaketheone46

I’ve never even heard of these pirelli TD ,
    Has anyone ever bought from tracksidetires.com they have supercorsa sc1&2 pretty cheap. The 180/60 rear is just over 200 bucks. That’s much cheaper than I’m seeing anywhere else. This pirelli TD where can I check them out??
    Also I’m seeing every size but what I’m looking for. I usually run 190/55 stock was 190/50 I prefer the 55 myself but am mostly seeing 200/60 & 180/60. Now I’ve read on this forum that these 180/60 are actually the same width as a 190 rear?? Is this true?
    I don’t think a 200/60 would go on my 04 R1 and think it would be too much of a change anyway.

10. Mattinrsm

Mattinrsm Well-Known Member

I was running the Dunlop 200 slick on my 2001 R1 until I sold it last year. No issues with fit for me.

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Check out the tech forum thread called Pirelli tire selection.

TurboBlew likes this.
  12. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

My understanding is that they both are track designed and intended tires...that can be used on the street. But that they aren't really recommended for the street because of the soft compound that will make them flat spot super quick.

Again, track designed and oriented, still street legal, but not their intended purpose

13. Jaketheone46

Thanks guys where can I look at these pirelli TD tires at a decent deal? Or even a set of spv2 ??

14. Suzuka_joe

TD actually cost less lol, But any Pirelli Track Tire Vendor can get them. I use South Central Race Center in Texas, ask your local dudes who sells pirelli

15. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Wow, outriding a modern street tire on the street?

Ra.Ge. Raptor, sdiver, Chris and 6 others like this.
  16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

West coast ctracetires.com,
    East coast pirelliracer.com, then select your closest vendor

17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Supercorsa SPs are sold by any dealer/shop in North America

Phl218 likes this.
  18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I didn’t put a straight edge on my Power RS 180/60 against the same tire in a 190/55. However, against the Avon Storm in 180/55 they’re just fractionally wider, edge to edge. Where the difference is in the profile. If you can imagine the 180/60 as the Gateway Arch in STL and the 180/50 being like a bridge arch, you can get the gist of the profile differences. The 180/60 is very peaked and tall, whereas the 180/55 is more rounded and consistent radius. The 180/60 measured 23mm wider, across the face, so a lot more usable tread and contact patch when leaned over. I love this tire on the 5.5” rim of my ‘98 VFR, but, wouldn’t run the same size on a 6”, as it’ll somewhat flatten out the profile and MAY potentially lead to rolling off the edge of the tire.

The Power RS front has a very peaked profile, just like their slicks. Like the rear, I love this tire, too.

19. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I'm with Spitz . . . someone is pushing pretty doggone hard on the street . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

Phl218 likes this.
  20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Or, they think they’re pushing a street tire that far and the reality is the surface is shit.

stk0308, Gorilla George and 83BSA like this.