1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about a jeep...

Discussion in 'General' started by BrianC636, Jun 22, 2017.

1. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I picked up a 16 Wrangler, 75th Anniversay Edition last month. 34,xxx miles, climate control, heated seats, Nav, leather, HID lights for $31,400. LT 285/70-17s on it.

evakat likes this.
  2. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

We just got a 2017 Sahara with 31k miles for my youngest daughter. We will see if she stays excited about the new vehicle once the reality of car payments kick in...:D

worthless likes this.
  3. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

1st day top down or 1st day in a foot of snow or 1st day in the trails, the excitement will be there.

crashman likes this.
  4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am not sure if it would beat thru the rocks as good as my YJ but it certainly is a lot more comfortable!:D

5. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

If anyone has a new JL and is looking for side steps of a front bumper let me know. I have a new set of n-Fab textured side steps and a new Rugged Ridge Sparticus front bumper. New in box. Pic of side steps is a stock photo as I have never opened the box. Located in Olive Branch MS. Steps are $300 and bumper is $450

Attached Files:

6. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Stand up guy right here. When I first posted in this thread, TTT and I got on a call and he ran through some concerns of his that he learned with his recent purchase. Also ended up buying a set of steps from him and came to me as described. If you're interested, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from him.

7. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the feedback. How’s the wife liking the new ride?

8. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

We are both enjoying it and the kids love it too.

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, was contemplating a Ridgeline, test drove one, but never committed 'cause my 06 Highlander Hybrid was hanging in there just fine at 200k miles. Read up on the 2.0L e-boosted JL, got curious, went and looked at them with my wife. I now own a 2019 Rubicon 4dr. The four cylinder is WAY more fun to drive than the six, faster throttle response, gets off the line better, but the trade off is slightly more mechanical noise from it. Wah. I ended up with slightly more torque and HP than the HiHy, same tow rating, slightly less interior room. I'm happy. First mod is going to be heresy as I ditch the tires for something more highway friendly and quiet, then full studless snows in winter. None of the JLs on the lot had the limited slip rear diff, so went Rubi to get front and rear lockers instead for dealing with my road in the winter. Any suggestions on a summer road focused tire?

10. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Sounds like the Ridgeline was the right vehicle for you. :)

Regardless, congrats on the new ride!

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, my wife was the one who shot down the Ridgeline, noting correctly that we'd almost never use the truck bed... so... yeah, didn't have to twist my arm very hard on this one.

12. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

Kurlon. Where you located at. I went the other way and went more off-road so I have a takeoff set of the optional Sahara wheels and tires, all 5 with less than 250 miles on them. I also have s new in the box rugged ridge Spartacus front bumper too. PM me

13. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Out of curiosity, what kind of gas mileage do Jeeps with larger than stock tires get? If you have a Jeep on 33s or 35s, for example, what is your MPG? I know it depends on what your gear ratio is, of course, but I'm just curious what the average MPG is. I want to say I saw a video on the youtubes in which a guy said that he has a Jeep on 33s, manual transmission, no re-gearing from stock, and he gets 13 MPG.

14. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What do you guys think about the Gladiator? In the market for a vehicle and it's piqued my interest.

15. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

My TJ 4.0L with 33's and 2.5" lift gets around 21 mpg @65 mph steady state

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

My old YJ with a 4.0 gets about 16 (highway) on 33's with a close to 200k motor if I am cruising at 65ish.

17. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The Gladiator is what got me to a dealership to poke at JLs in the first place, I wanted to see if I liked a modern Jeep interior as a quick pass/fail test for the Gladiator in comparison to a Ridgeline. As noted, my wife went with me and... came home in the Rubicon instead of further shopping / waiting. Ooops!

Sticker says 22mpg overall, 20 city, 24 highway. We'll see, I tend to soft pedal coming off my hybrid and expect to do better. On the flip side launching that thing is quite a bit of fun... maybe I won't beat the sticker. :D

What's the story with changing tire sizes, can I inform the ECU easily of the change, is it a dealer thing, or just locked out in general? I believe my 285/70R17s equate to undersized 33s, the Sahara stock size translate to 32s?

And is the transfer case supposed to be this much of a PITA to shift? I've had proper 4WD vehicles in the past, Dodge 1500s, Isuzu Rodeo, Suzuki Vitara, and none of them made me consider both arms to pull the lever back from 2H hoping for 4H? I get that you need to be rolling slightly to ease engagement, but damn?!

18. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I have LT285-70/17s on mine so ~32.7 inches and I get 16 around town. 16 Wrangler 4 door.

19. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

if the Internet forums are to be believed, it looks like the price might be approaching 3/4 ton power wagon territory. I’d buy the real pickup at that point.

Just my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    sharkattack likes this.
  20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yes. AEV's ProCal is likely the best and least expensive device with no reported screwing up of your ECU. It is not a tuner...
    Simple stupid to use, has various usable features, about $170. They are "one vehicle at a time" specific. Plug it into your OBD, make changes, unplug and stow in the glovebox. It will not work on another vehicle until you clear the last vehicle. Change tire diameters, gear ratios, idle speeds, TPMS thresholds, shifting (on automatics)...does some stuff with the Rubicon lockers, too, I think.
    Or, dealer can charge you for every visit...

I have 315/70-17s on heavy wheels, manual, 2dr, 3.73 gears. I don't count, but I recall seeing my DD mileage around 13. When it was stock, I saw 15-17 daily.
    If you're buying with any idea of fuel economy in your head, you're looking at the wrong vehicle. (I only look at the fuel gauge. :D)
    Making it an economical "street" vehicle with an ability to take you through winter could likely see relatively decent mileage results, tho'.