1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about a jeep...

Discussion in 'General' started by BrianC636, Jun 22, 2017.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Price is ~$35K to ~$65K, per Jalopnik. I really just need something that can fit one full sized bike and/or two or three minis/sumos in the back (would love to get rid of my cheapo Harbor Freight folding trailer). That and the novelty of a convertible is what's got me interested; having said that, the fact that it comes in a manual is also quite appealing to me.

2. Get the sport, throw seat covers on it and call it a day.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  3. About 12-13, 10-11 towing even small open trailer with just golf cart n Zuma. You can get about 18-19 on highway depending on speed but assume 16. When I have 4.56’s in vs 3.73’s the day to day is actually better but taking the freeway to get off-roading is worse. Mind you I also swap out the at’s for a lot heavier mt’s with bead locks etc when I’m doing on off road “trip” or change them there depending how long we are staying, distance etc. to be honest with 3.73 and rubi low gear they are more than sufficient gearing wise for all but a few places. My Jeep started life as a sport and when new I put a zero mile modded rubicon transfer case and already has front and rear end ready to swap that were already fully built. Transfer case was free so wasn’t going to waste money on stuff I was going to just upgrade anyway.

4. Get a promgrammer, superchips, etc. you can change tire sizes but also a bunch of other stuff. To me two important things beside the tire size were temp when fans come on and gas pedal curves. The off-road curve is great when wheeling. I use just the 87 tune with a drop in kn filter, no exhaust or anything else. I picked up 13 rwhp and 22ftlb on the dyno. I didn’t really buy it for that but figured I’d try it.

5. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I'm getting an average of 16mpg wether street or highway. My 17yr old has been driving the jeep a lot lately off road

Attached Files:

• 40.jpeg
      40.jpeg
      File size:
      742.9 KB
      Views:
  6. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

And I'm almost done building my K30 offroad overlanding rig.:beer:

Attached Files:

renegade17 likes this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

you went to a jeep/chrysler dealer and didn't come out with a Pacifica...shame on you :Poke:

we did see like 40 jeeps in a caravan yesterday. That was pretty cool to see a group together that wasn't Lambos or other tuner imports.

8. I can’t do the whole Jeep caravan thing. Spend way too much time not off-roading. For some that’s great as it’s a huge social event. I don’t have that much time to sit there and talk about my Jeep.

Pixelator and ducnut like this.
  9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Sounds like a Harley rally. Trailer the bike in, sit in the parking lot drinking beer and talking the new skull valve stem caps you had installed for $350 for half a day, then ride 20 miles, drink some more, then go home.

10. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

He
    Hey Doug,
    What did you use on yours? I think my 2015 JK has the same motor. I was thinking about trowing some money at it next.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

I think the social aspect is cool. I miss hanging out at the track with my friends, almost as much as I miss riding at the track.

12. I have a superchips on mine. It does what I need it to do. There are a couple more pricey units out there but this did everything I needed it to do.

13. I agree with that part of it but also when I’m at the track I’m usually there to work and hang out after. Seems the Jeep crowd socialize more than they wheel.

BigBird likes this.
  14. The two ones I went on were just that minus the drinking. Everyone seemed to just want to show what they did to their Jeep and tell you what it could do. First one i went on mine has maybe 1000 miles. I drove it off-road like it was a rental car and everyone sat back kind of stunned. I bought it new with the intention of bringing it off-road, not sit there like at a bike night telling everyone how I won a track day. For me a total of 4 vehicles is about optimal. Enough to help each other spotting, if something. Breaks etc but small enough to keep moving. I was lucky and had soMe very experienced folks help me out when I got started, threw my money at my Jeep in the right places. Couple of these guys have some very serious rigs. Older rubicon unlimiteds (the coveted extended 2 doors) with ls swaps Dana 60’s etc. They hit Moab a few times a year, off road almost every weekend, etc. They were, and are, very patient and helpful with me, probably because I listen and trust them. First time you get through a series of gnarled rocks or some crazy rutted hill you are amazed you are at the top and didn’t flip over. It’s not different than riding a bike as you have to plan your line and be very aware of throttle, brake and steering inputs.

BigBird likes this.
  15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I've inductively concluded that this old maxim is universally applicable...
    "When in doubt, gas it!"
    Why else would these experienced old farts have LSs under the hood? :D

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not sure on the newer engine but my 2010 got 14 or so mixed use with 33's and the 6 speed. I also had a different tune on it for more power :D

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Loved mine too, kept it just in case I get another JK.

18. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So far, I'm showing 24mpg on the dash, including a little highway driving. Obviously, I'm soft pedaling it but I'm still impressed it can pull that off with a 4500lb broadside of a barn on lead donuts.

19. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

My little Fiat continues to perform well above expectations. To date I have pulled three Wranglers out of the snow/mud. :) It turns out this is a super capable little vehicle, especially if you get the model with crawl gears and lockers.

And before anybody gives me grief and a speech about "real" Jeeps, my company requires that my vehicle hold 4, hold marketing materials, and get at least 25 mpg or they wont pay for it. This pretty much kills getting a Wrangler, Tacoma, 4 runner, etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'm looking at a SprintBooster for mine to kill the awful throttle response. Power ain't shit if you can't get to it when you want it. (OEM's way of complying with EPA requirements.)
    Where To Buy - Sprint Booster USA
    It does not reprogram anything, just alters the signal like a PowerCommander or Bazzaz. If it fails, unplug it. No, it's not cheap, but it doesn't have any negative reports/reviews of which I'm aware. TUV approved, too.

There's an issue of exhaust note to deal with, too. In an open top manual, at a stop light, ambient street noise is enough to drown out the engine sound, leading to constant monitoring of the tach when launching. I'd rather hear it, but then those quiet, just purring along strolls down dirt paths takes that sound hit. Prolly gonna be a Borla cat-back, resonator replaced by muffler, no further "cans" to the single tip outlet.

I'm sternly against interfering with the factory programming by installing DiabloSports, Hypertech, a reflash or any other "programmer" cuz of issues reported with "bricking" the OEM blackbox. Fuck that.
    If I subjected myself to that, even though "they" say it works great, and it bricked my Jeep, I'd burn the businesses of all motherfuckers involved to the ground. (Not really, but I'd be that mad.)
    I mean, whatcha gonna do 35 miles off the beaten, paved path? You can't even call anyone! So, yeah, I would hunt these mo-fos down and raze their shit to the ground. $35K vehicle brought to its knees by a destructively faulty $350 part? FUCK_YOU!

The AEV ProCal I previously mentioned also has no reported issues...AEV is mostly made up of former Jeep engineers that know what they're doing. It pretty much does everything the programmers do, minus performance re-programming.

When it comes time to re-power, it's either gonna be a V8 or a blower. At that time, all the ridiculously complex and finicky computer shit will be removed, save that which comes with the upgrade to control fuel/ignition mapping. Yes, I will completely rewire the vehicle to analog. No body control sensors, no air bags, no ABS, no desk jockey's programmed idea of when to interfere with power output, braking or handling in an attempt to make the unit soccer mom friendly. Just gas, gears, grunt and go. FTW! :D