1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about a jeep...

Discussion in 'General' started by BrianC636, Jun 22, 2017.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yes. I've used the axle, the diff and the control arm brackets at varying times. Jack stands placed as close to the axle ends as the tires would allow.
    I wouldn't use the rock rails to lift mine. They're frame-mounted but I wouldn't trust 'em cuz they were not built for that purpose...you can bend them.
    r1owner has it right for expediency AND lifetime tire wear. Jack it, remove wheel, install spare, move to the next corner of the vehicle.
    If you don't have a spare, then you'll need jackstands. They add little time to the job but now you're crawling around on the ground at each corner. It's possible to use just two stands for this.
    I use four stands only because I'm stripping all four wheels off one vehicle and installing them on another vehicle for annual inspection purposes. After the successful completion of the inspection and subsequent return of wheels to their respective vehicles, both end up with their tires rotated.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Yeah, I used to use my donut when I rotated the tires on my Passat and it's not bad - I guess I'll just plan to go that route for the Jeep. I think I'm going to stick to every 10K miles for a rotation which differs from my oil change interval (my Jeep has some kind of oil life expectancy thing so my life was down to 0% at 7500 miles). Mildly annoying but not the end of the world having to disaggregate my maintenance.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I would think rotating tires sooner rather than later would be good for them. At 7500 miles, that's still a long stretch in my mind...for the oil, too.
    5000 is max for both on all my vehicles.