1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Olympics

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by In Your Corner, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, the problem is that the events are during work hours and the Brazilians are all at work.

Okay, I cracked myself up with that one. :crackup:

2. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

3. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Two minutes is considered endurance?

4. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

You ever swam all out for 2 minutes? One of the hardest workouts out there

5. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Depends on the event. For many on here, 2 minutes would require two times...

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And half an hour between "workouts" ;)

7. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Yea, a couple times. :) That 25 seconds I posted was my time when I swam a 50 free race with a lousy turn for fun while in college, I was a springboard diver but would swim the warmup with the swim team. I was third in that race, first at the turn, and it wasn't that fast compared to the real fast guys. Started swimming to get back into shape last year as my knees don't like running, heading out to swim for an hour or so in a few minutes, I'll probably cover about 3000 meters in that hour but I won't be swimming all out for all of it, just the 10-100's on 2:30, it is actually 122m for four lengths as the pool is 100 feet long.

8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The IM is considerably harder than just a standard 200m swim. Try it some time if you know all 4 strokes. So if that is still too short make it a 400 IM. That would put it about on par with the longest run of 1500m in the Decathlon now. Probably considerably harder actually.

9. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

yup...

see you in two years to the next impeding olympic media clusterfuck....

AJ likes this.
  10. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Something about that chick reminds me of Peter Boyle as the monster in Young Frankenstein...

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The biggest disaster is spending all this money hosting the Olympics next door to terrible poverty and crime.
    The money could have been better spent.

12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Nah.

Closer to this:

[​IMG]

And besides...do you really wanna see her schwanzstucker?

Lawn Dart likes this.
  13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You ever been there? That's how it has been for damn near forever. Walk out of your hotel and go left and you're on Rodeo drive. Go right and you're in a favela that you might not leave alive.

The rich are very rich, there is a small middle class that was growing and then there's the poor which does not translate to anything you see in the US. Being well off there is having an apartment, a big tv and a fiat or vw.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    JTW likes this.
  14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

It's not my fault you two aren't confident in your masculinity. :p

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

My masculinity favors femininity.

You can be all Fleetwood Mac and go your own way. I won't judge.

Ok, yes I will. :D

16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Says the guy with a secret REO Speedwagon collection.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

It's Air Supply, you ninny! :moon:

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well basically the popular stuff has had great turnouts, the not so popular not so much. I do know track and field seems empty but that's because the main shot they use of the stadium is centered on the coach/athlete stands which are usually empty.

We've been recording it and watching at night fast forwarding through the boring stuff so I've actually been paying attention this year. Guess I am getting old...

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I would argue that the real measure of success is how packed the venues are for the less popular sports. When everything else is sold out and people still want to see something and show up for water polo and shit.

That said, there were way too many open seats in track and field on average for even that to be called a great turnout, I think.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Could be, dunno, haven't really paid attention to the Olympics since the Winter ones in Lake Placid and don't remember anything about them.