1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Olympics

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by In Your Corner, Jun 21, 2016.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I saw actual attendance figures compared to London the other day. It's not good.

2. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

It appears that there's far more negative press on this year's games than in the past. It looks like the press is trying to make more than the games into stories. For example, the "stink" (pun intended) over the diving pool turning green was overblown to the point of being silly. The water turned green because some maintenance guy poured 5 gallons of Hydrogen Peroxide into it instead of the acid that was supposed to be administered. Ok, fine, it was a mistake that took maybe 24 hours to clear up. Big deal. The area has some problems but not to the extent that it's made out to be. At least, so far, we've not had any terrorist attacks.

AJ likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Skeeter borne virus and major crime, not really unexpected.

4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Chemicals, shmemicals, they're all the same.
    It's only the Olympics.

5. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I think it took three days for them to fix, the drained all the water and replaced it. It's only the Olympics, who'd notice. I can tell you being a springboard diver it would have fucked with the heads of some due to the change in color and contrast as you use visual cues for spotting your entry. Try doing a 4 1/2 of of the platform sometime. :)

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They only replaced the water polo pool, had enough time between diving competitions to chemically treat the diving well from what I saw.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

They probably figured that they could take a chance with the divers since they don't spend much time in the water.

8. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Is that why the Liar turned up blonde?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And the down time yeah. You cold see it getting clearer each day once they got the chemicals right.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

New projects (which includes most, if not all Olympic venues) take a while to start up and run smoothly. It is amazing they had relatively few problems.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm floored the beach venue didn't fall down :D

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Including the sand.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I was totally joking, man. I have no idea what they did or why. :D

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

15. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Russia's Para Olympic team has been banned from competition .

16. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

As much as I disapprove of doping, a blanket ban on athletes who may be clean seems overly harsh. By simply competing in the Paralympics, many of them have already been forced to overcome some long odds.

Shenanigans likes this.
  17. AJ

AJ Well-Known Member

How about that Monica Puig Gold medal run in Tennis ? Stunning!

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

When the people doing the testing are the ones doing the doping you can't trust any part of the system that got them qualified for the games. It's the only way to be sure. Doesn't matter to me that they have handicaps, they are athletes the same as the rest and get treated the same.

19. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I once did about a 41/2 down a hill during a motox race. I sure was hoping there was water at the bottom. Green or otherwise. No such luck. :eek:

crashman likes this.
  20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version