1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Iran war.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, May 7, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I agree with Mattis - but as he well knows at times it's unavoidable. Main thing is though the penny ante wanna bes need to understand that the US won't back down if they get truly stupid. My guess is that's why there is a carrier group headed there now. Shows of force aren't intimidating until you have something at that level in your neighborhood.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good thing Bolton can't make that call then. Besides that, it's as always a game. For now Bolton is the up front asshole telling them to back the fuck down and Trump will play mediator. With KJ Cuckoo Trump played the role of asshole calling him out. Basic good cop bad cop aka diplomacy.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think it's a loss. Wish he could have understood the game Trump is playing but can't blame him for sticking to his own views of how to do things.

What Trump and Bolton are doing IS diplomacy. It's all part of it. Stick and carrot, good cop bad cop, whatever your preferred term it's all negotiating to get what you want.

4. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Diplomacy, with Iran? Right. Maybe instead of reading about Mattis you should read up on Iran.

Here is the diplomacy that should be taken with Iran. You fuck with us and we will level your shit back further than the stone age.

Funny how the anti trump taint suckers said we would be at war with Russia and North Korea.

jrsamples likes this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Except.........

Most of the people in Iran don’t like the regime in power there and are cool with the US. If we go in there and start killing common folk with air strikes and whatever else, it galvanizes the people with regime against us.

stk0308 likes this.
  6. 600 dbl are

Oh, some people like us over there? Well in that case let Iran do whatever they want.

7. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Maybe I missed that part. Who are all these people you speak of? Losing Mattis was a big loss.

8. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that Iran's GDP is approx the same as Washington State which is pretty significant. Getting into anything with them won't be easy or cheap. Seems like the Wolfowitz Doctrine is still alive and well.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Could get into it with them using stockpiles of about to expire ammo slated for destruction anyway and it wouldn't cost a thing :D

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I’m just saying it’s not so cut and dry. It wasn’t too long ago that things just about fell apart over there. If we’d had a president like Trump in place, a little support might have made all the difference.

11. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Steeltoe and 600 dbl are like this.
  12. 600 dbl are

War is never cut and dry, but diplomacy with a terrorist organization is. There are only two things terrorist respond to, force or threat of force.

I am not interested in the US being the worlds problem solvers. If Iran people want their freedom they had better step up and do it. I am not interested in sending more of my brothers and sisters over to a sand box and die.

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Maybe I read your post wrong? I thought you were being facetious saying “let Iran do whatever they want”.

I don’t think war with Iran is a good idea. I do think a meteor falling on all of their current leadership is.

14. 600 dbl are

I don't think war is a good idea either, but if Iran want's to get stupid, the reaction needs to be beyond brutal, direct and effective. I am not interested in saving the Iranian people from the Iranian government, I am interested in saving American lives from the Iranian government.

15. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

upload_2019-5-7_13-51-48.jpeg
    A new band just debuted. They’re called “The Meteors”.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

As good as those guys are, I'm thinking something more along the lines of the cellulose bomb in "Clear and Present Danger", or maybe some kind of satellite mounted laser beam :D

17. J Bart

J Bart Fat Kid Track Days

18. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

They were keeping this on the DL. Only one little link on Drudge.

Iran is pushing it with the nukes and backing Gaza putting Isreal under threat, the US responds by trying to push their oil exports to zero and declaring the IRGC a terrorist group. Iran lobs a threat over the fence and we respond with an aircraft carrier. Back and forth, back and forth.

Sounds like every war carousel we have hopped on in the middle east.
    Shit ass game of badminton with an IED.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Note to self, WSJ links need to go with the Washington Post ones....

20. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Circular file?