1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Iran war.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, May 7, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Banned file :D

I can't stand clicking a link and having it be useless.

2. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

I usually piece several articles together to formulate my assessment of a situation. I don't trust any of them outright.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same here, have to read and edit out any bias, cull it all down to the facts and then think about it.

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Replacing others bias with ones own bias, is the only way to roll.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why do you have to be biased? Granted your own experiences come into play but it's not all that hard to be objective and just look at facts with no spin.

6. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Hopefully Iran doesn't act out, I will be over there in a few days.

7. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I just read Iran has admitted to “partial withdrawal” from the nuclear deal. They have been working on a nuclear weapon component called a shock generator - it helps achieve supercritical mass for nuclear explosion. Their president gave an address earlier saying they have demands before honoring any further commitments under the agreement. They want some oil and banking sanctions lifted, I believe.

Soooo, we immediately sent B-52s from Minot AFB to Qatar to join the Lincoln carrier group in the region. More are expected to head over today.

Turned on CNN (only news channel I have on Sling) - they’re analyzing a tweet about something unrelated and showing 4 year old video of a traffic stop that went badly.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Soooooo if terms of an agreement are ignored, there is no agreement.

9. Lawn Dart

Well, he said they didn’t want to pull out from JCPOA, but will not continue commitments until their demands are met. Here’s what I’m not clear on (mostly due to translation and how I’m reading stuff) - he made it sound like maybe some milestone had been reached and they hadn’t received something under the agreement - like maybe both sides haven’t been honoring the agreement as written. Now, hasn’t Iran already been caught not honoring the agreement previously?

I also saw something about the carrier group being moved because Iran is moving short range ballistic missiles in the gulf. I guess that was part of the “credible intelligence” they were talking about before.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The only thing I can guarantee is that we (as in you and I) don’t have all the info.

Steeltoe likes this.
  11. Lawn Dart

Duh. :rolleyes: :D

One more thing I read - Pompeo’s strange flight the other day, where he skipped his meeting in Berlin and went to Baghdad for only about 2 hours. Almost no public details available about that discussion. Just an interesting piece of info because of the timing and sudden departure from a scheduled and very public meeting.

12. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

From what I have read: US withdrew from that agreement a year ago and demanded Iran continue with its own commitments to it.

I don’t know why anyone would think they would unless there was a perk in it for them we don’t know about.

But placing sanctions on other countries doesn’t ever go well for long periods of time. Even if they “deserve it”, their people end up starving and Pearl Harbor gets bombed.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  13. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

How long has the middle east been at war? I'm not talking about US boots on the ground war, I'm talking overall. Centuries? Perhaps war is the wrong term? Factions fighting one another for control of territory, not necessarily a declaration of war? A middle eastern version of the Hatfield and McCoy's?

14. Lawn Dart

And now the Iranian Navy has sent anti-ship missiles and SRBMs to Yemen and some Iranian islands in the gulf.

15. Lawn Dart

We haven’t always been at war with Iran though. After WWII, the British and US orchestrated a coup that overthrew the existing prime minister and seated their own puppet for access to oil. This gave rise to Khomenei in the 60s. When he and his followers overthrew the puppet government and took the US hostages, relations really went into the shitter. To a certain degree, we brought this on ourselves by fucking around in the region, trying to control oil. Hell, even Saddam Hussein got US backing when he was going after Iran. We did some shady shit in the gulf following WWII.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Always. Islam is only a “religion of peace” if everyone that disagrees with them is subjugated or dead. And when they don’t have outsiders to fight, they say “my version of Islam is better than yours” and fight each other.

17. 600 dbl are

I have no doubts that there has been outside influence that has led to some of the conflict there. I can't remember a time where there wasn't conflict in the middle east, with or without the help of US/UN etc.

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

A simple package delivered to their leadership with a note attached that states...

Ask Saddam how it turns out. We need to test out some of our newer weapons anyway.

Should do it.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  19. Lawn Dart

We're a young country, but the same can be said for us... The difference today is, we have the power to project elsewhere. We don't have fighting here, but we've pretty much always been in conflict somewhere...

20. 600 dbl are

Duval/Assjsuice 2024

You'll need Fraley for the entertainment to win.

code3ryder likes this.