1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SNAP replacement - "Blue Apron" style food boxes

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by galloway840, Feb 13, 2018.

1. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Come on guys, Twitter is all aflutter and there's nothing on it here? Disappointed there isn't already a raging argument going on!

So, what say you? Should the government try to dictate the actual food that recipients receive, instead of providing cards to shop for food with?

Or, is it dehumanizing? Is it the "let them eat cake" of our time?

According to various sources, there are 38M people on food stamps. When the national unemployment rate is at ~4.0%, there is something wrong if we still have that many people needing basic food assistance to get by. Pay too low? Assistance (free money) too easy? I don't know...

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/12/news/economy/food-stamps-box-blue-apron/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...-trump-administration/?utm_term=.8da8c3068177

2. joec

joec brace yourself

Food stamps are punk rock.

3. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

First I'm hearing about it but ya know what, I KINDA LIKE THE IDEA >>>IF<<< it helps reduce costs and the fraud that always came from the current system.

I realize the dregs of society will still seek ways to scam but I'm thinking trying to resell your box of food will be tougher than selling your SNAP card for cash.

4. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

Still gonna get 50% of the allotted benefit on the card to buy beer and fireworks with or sell to the dealer.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Seems overly complicated and too "overlord-ish". It would be better to limit what the cards could be used for to real, wholesome foods, but that would be fought tooth and nail by the corporate food empire. People should be buying fresh meats, vegetables, and health fats, not all the bullshit processed grains and sugars the FDA pushes on them.

Murcielago311, cpettit and TurboBlew like this.
  6. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

This.

While waiting in line at the gas station to buy my wholesome Copenhagen, the lady in front of me bought three bags of chips, a Red Bull and a fountain drink on EBT. She then paid separate for her cup of Coffee and gas. Shit like that pisses me off.

7. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Just like anything, it will impact people in different ways depending on their story. The people that need the food will still get it, the scammers will still scam they will just find a new play, and the junkies will still junkie.

Let's face it, the government can't/shouldn't try to change behaviors. Michelle Obama fought hard to take fast food out of the ghettos and install grocery stores. She was well intentioned, but foolish and it failed. Remember the stories out of LA about fast food places being forced out and the residents of neighborhoods just drove to nicer neighborhoods to get their fast food. They don't go buy quality food and cook meals for the family, that's why the grocery stores aren't there. You can't change people, the change has to come from within.

So this is well intentioned but it too will fail. The people on welfare are either temporarily down on their luck, or have chosen the lifestyle. Making it a little bit harder to scam or force healthy eating sounds great but it won't change the people choosing the lifestyle.

8. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I agree with Streiff on this one. Its a terrible idea.

Infantalizing the poor and controlling their lives is not justified. You should not have to have money to have freedom.

GixxerBlade and cpettit like this.
  9. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

It also reeks of an opportunity to give someone's friend a lucrative "welfare food box" contract. It would just create more companies living off the govt. Give them the ebt card and limit it to rice, pasta, vegatables, meat, milk, bread, ect. No frozen foods, no alcohol, no faygo or red bull.

DrA5, badmoon692008, cav115 and 2 others like this.
  10. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I have no problems with whatever people want to do with their own money. The problem is, it's not their money.

11. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Food stamp signup is declining (started during the second term of the food stamp president) so costs should already be dropping (so why did the demoncats insist on funding increases?). That said better food is a good idea but I question the governments ability to actually deliver on it. How much will arrive in poor shape or be tossed (ala Moochelle's lunches)? Of course to the whining then don't be a ward of the state if you want independence and freedom.

Better to raise the bar on benefits of all sorts so that working becomes more appealing. Also ALL benefits should include some sort of work. Even if that work is sweeping streets. I would accept school/training as work though. Doing so creates a less dependent citizen on the education/training side. It also generates a work ethic to some degree on the work side while forcing them to show up which makes fraud harder if you are signing up multiple times or a fake person. Oh and ALL illegals should get zero. Oh wait this should include legal aliens also, don't like it go home. And while I am being mean and heartless, refugees should have a limited duration after which they get the same rules as legal aliens.

12. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Curious would would be a better solution? Alot of good points mentioned above of the problems that would result. Would imposing some BMI limits work? I don't have an answer

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

BMI is a bullshit number so that wouldn't work.

sheepofblue likes this.
  14. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Dammit I agree with you 100%. Do you feel what I'm feeling?

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Government cheese and excess milk only (Powder style)......:Poke: Perhaps they can have some of Canada's excess maple syrup???

16. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

...and a drug test to qualify.

17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

The scams above are good reasons why I'd like to hear more about this proposal and its associated costs compared to what it's costing us NOW.

Most of us know, the current system is BROKEN and riddled with FRAUD and waste, like most things the Gov puts their hands on. I like the idea of several companies having to bid on a contract like this, I like the idea that it'd be using other companies (couriers) to transport these meals. It wasn't too long ago that all the couriers were hurting enough that they had to raise shipping costs on us. Since then, Amazon blew up but something like this would also help them create more jobs.

I like that this Admin is thinking out of the box and looking at other means to save money, that is ONE thing I think Trump is truly committed too. I'd bet he's striving to run a REAL surplus by the end of his 8th yr, unlike the fake one we keep hearing about.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Do you know why all of these programs are wrought with fraud and waste? It's not just the recipients, it's the GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES. Think about it, there's zero incentive for the government employees to make any effort to cut down on fraud. Doing so would imply that they might not be necessary. Instead, they have every incentive to sign up and many people as possible, spend/waste as much as possible, and ALWAYS be behind on quotas, deadlines, etc. It ENSURES THEIR SURVIVAL because their "jobs" are based on need, not success.

19. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

That depends where your hands are. :whoosh:

Robby-Bobby and TurboBlew like this.
  20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I don't get how "enlisted" military folks get to choose from a small MRE menu with considerations for religious and dietary concerns... but SNAP program recipients must have unlimited choices of where & what they want?
    Outside of senior citizens and disabled folks... these kinds of programs should not be convenient!

Fencer, badmoon692008, cav115 and 3 others like this.