1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SNAP replacement - "Blue Apron" style food boxes

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by galloway840, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Enlisted folks have a much larger selection when they're not in the field. Not really the same thing :D

2. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Can you define how much power that should give you over their lives? I happen to agree with you but cant draw the line that I am asking you to draw here.

And FWIW, its not your money either. The minute you give it to Unkie Sam you dont own it anymore. He does and he can spend it on weapons, or abortions, or slackers or whatever.

3. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Well, I almost shared a story of a local convenient store, in my old hood, where just recently (last week) the owners just got charged with several counts of SNAP fraud, totaling to over a million dollars or close to it. You'll never hear me say the fraud is coming solely from those on the system. I agree that a huge portion of the problem is the government itself, hence why I'm really wanting to hear more about this idea.....problem is, usually those government employees employed in those social programs are former recipients themselves AND/OR have family on them so they easily partake in the fraud/turning a blind eye.

All the MORE reason why I say take that power away from the government trolls, have several legit companies BID on the contract and give it a try. But again, ONLY if the numbers show a major reduction than what we're spending now. I'd rather see Blue Apron type company and UPS/FedEx having to hire more employees than keep watching GOV increase theirs.

4. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

No

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

We have a place in town that handles all services, state, county, federal, whatever. When you go in there they want you to apply for anything and everything.
    A lady in there explained they were vying for production rewards from the feds.
    The more people they signed up, the higher their reward.
    They have less than zero interest in avoiding fraud.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

This thread title has been driving me crazy all day. I click on it every time expecting something totally different. The last two IPOs I put on my watchlist were SNAP and APRN (Blue Apron).

galloway840 likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If they're taking government money then the government can 100% control how that money is spent.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  8. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

It's not about power over people, it's about common sense. I'm certain Coke and Pepsi have paid handsomely to allow their junk food to be purchased using government subsidies. Fruits, vegetables, proteins, bread, milk and eggs. Want more? Make yourself better.

We the people still control the spending, but when you elect assholes that want to spend tax money on the mating rituals of sea monkeys, this is what you get.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Isn't that what I said? Its the poor sap who pays it that has no control.

Really? So it was you who spent all that money on the F-35? We REALLY need to talk about your spending habits. :)

10. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

SNAP feeds the poor; I'm all for feeding hungry kids and senior citizens. I don't think SNAP fraud is as widespread as people make it out to be. I've seen people buying chateaubriand and lobster in with their SNAP card then jumping in their Mercedes but those sights are rare. We spend a lot on defense, I don't see why we can't spend 1% more on SNAP. I don't know all the details of the Blue Apron thing. It may be the best bang for the buck. We'll see what CBO says about costs. Like we have a say in where our taxes go anyway.

11. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Do they have a right to your body if you're receiving free healthcare? Do they own your property because they're giving you defense? It's all the same, right?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They have a right to tell you where to get the healthcare and what they choose to cover. Defense is a different thing entirely.

You need to try harder next time, those were way too easy :D

XFBO likes this.
  13. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Why is the first thing people go after is defense when there are a metric fuck ton of worthless grants and the billions we give to foreign countries?

Fencer and Banditracer like this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

SNAP into a Slim Jim!

Sorry, been resisting all day.

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

True. Defense is absolutely out of control, but it's unpatriotic to say there should be cuts to military spending. This pie chart is the result of a 5 second google search, so I have plausible deniability if it turns out it's from Huffington Post or something :), but more than HALF of our spending goes to defense? You can bet your ass there's billions of dollars of graft in there.

[​IMG]

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Because it's not on the pie chart! But now that you bring it up, cut both (although I bet a lot of that money does come from the defense budget, military aid has got to be pretty big).

17. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

I never seem to have the time to tend to the threads I start, but I do appreciate reading all the commentary.

I'm in favor of having safety nets for the truly needy. What gets me is that there are 38Million people who need this particular one. We need to try to do some things differently as a society if we have 10% of our country's population on food assistance. I don't know if it's a "living wage", or Universal Basic Income, or making able bodied folks work, or what, but the number just seems really high.

I don't want to dictate what people on food assistance eat, but good grief, if they need food assistance, they should be eating food - the good food, not the pops, sodas, etc..

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd be very willing to bet half or more physically could work but find the welfare lifestyle to their liking.

Robby-Bobby, Funkm05 and XFBO like this.
  19. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Right, let's make cuts to the one thing that sures up our ability to defend ourselves and/or put the fear of God in countries like Hillary's ally (Russia), North Korea and all the other fckwads that want to bring death to America.....sounds like a solid plan. :rolleyes:

And THEN, any cuts from there they want to throw into giveaway programs rather than sure up OUR SS Fund that has been raided by both sides of the aisle for those very giveaways.....f'ing amazing.

I swear, most of those who rationalize like that have ZERO clue how defiant, entitled and lazy much of the recipients are.....it's sad.

1000%!!!!

And ya know what if Republicans to take that bull by the hrns while they can, I'll be pissed. Welfare REFORM is needed.....badly. I'd say in most States, it's not worth it for them to seek low skilled employment cuz it wont pay as much as they're receiving in free bennies....Democrats are mere geniuses for setting it up AND keeping it that way for decades!

Fix it so that they CAN work and collect a smaller % to encourage employment and we might be headed in the right direction.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Nobody is saying that we should reduce their effectiveness, but there is certainly plenty that can be done about the waste. Take the new pistol the Army just approved. The contract to Sig was $580 MILLION DOLLARS, for 287,000 guns. That's over $2000 for a gun any one of us can go to a gun store and buy for about $600. And it doesn't count the testing. Icing on the cake: it's not the gun the soldiers wanted and the gun is fucked up and will probably require millions more dollars to fix.

Here's an Army general's take on the clusterfuck: https://www.armytimes.com/news/your...w-pistol-send-me-to-cabela-s-with-17-million/