1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SNAP replacement - "Blue Apron" style food boxes

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by galloway840, Feb 13, 2018.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Sounds like the classic $200 toilet seat problem we've always heard about, it's BS we all know it BUT that's also NOT what most people are talking about when they talk about cuts to the military.

Honestly, I'm shocked a BS deal like that went through on Trump's watch....one of the RINO's must be behind it and kept it from him. :mad::D

2. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Infantilizing? (I believe that you spelled it incorrectly). As in providing for their basic needs with no effort on their part? I'm all for putting a stop to that. If they are not hungry, they certainly have the freedom not to eat what they are given. No one should starve in this country. Neither should those who live off the public largesse do so better than those who provide for themselves.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

When SNAP began (I believe it was called WIC then) I remember seeing certain food items in the store that were designated as being items you could buy with food stamps.

4. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

SNAP is a supplement. People usually don't rely on SNAP as their sole means of purchasing food.

And there are already guidelines and rules on what you are allowed to buy. I think those rules could be tightened up a bit. And then there's the enforcement of the rules. That's where the boat starts to leak.

But I agree with what was said earlier. If people only want to eat greasy burger chain, that's what they are going to do. There could be a glorified soup kitchen where healthier and cheap food was provided cooked for the needy, but they still need to go and eat it.

From a budget standpoint, this is more like searching the couch cushions to help with that new Ducati V4 payment. Only going to be a blip.

5. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

As usual, if we weren`t feeding these people, there wouldn`t be a problem.

And no, not talking about disabled or elderly.

6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Not even close and that is obvious at a glance, for one where is interest on the debt. Not sure this is more accurate but a battle of the pie charts https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/R...P27Iq4URRWPE-vV3hfqv4wYgLtmDm3D_Z_hAlEMc-s1yA

Notice that it also does not include interest.

kangasj likes this.
  7. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Guess you missed "Discretionary" in the title there, Bayes.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'd like to see this chart with $ amounts, not just percentages.

This. Although I'm not 100% clear on the exact definition. I'd guess Discretionary is executive branch spending, and the rest is mandated by laws passed in Congress. Either way, it's a shit ton of money getting wasted.

9. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

What about food allergies?
    What about the people who are lactose intolerant?
    What about vegans, vegetarians, paleo?
    Should people on SNAP not be able to control their own nutrition?
    Just because you are using a government benefit, doesn't mean your entire existence should be dictated.
    Maybe we should figure out the solution to the problem of why so many people are on these programs instead of restricting another aspect of their lives.
    I am all for helping weed out corruption and unnecessary expenditures - but this seems a bit dictatorial. I also can't imagine that shipping these boxes out is going to be inexpensive.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

People are on these programs because they exist, pretty simple really.
    It's the same effect as feeding stray cats.
    And frankly, if you can't feed yourself you need to be spending time on something other than following a paleo diet.
    Plus, let's get real, the bulk of the people who live off these programs just don't lead responsible lives, so the chances of them worrying about putting a nutritious meal on the table are slim.

We need to go back to soup kitchens with a little upgrade. Serve a nutritious meal once a day in a neat and clean but sparse space.
    If the real purpose is to improve nutrition (and that is exactly what the program started as) then you need to control what is consumed and when. Any government program that gives aid in the form of cash or anything that can be converted to cash is being heavily defrauded.
    For that matter, any government program will be defrauded, the differences are in how tough the fraud control is.

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Were you always this liberal OR is it getting worse with age??? :Poke::crackup:

How about this, anyone with special diets or ailments can apply for a special consideration?

kangasj likes this.
  12. nigel smith

What about people on food stamps who require taxpayer funded health care due to obesity related health problems? Do they really need to control their own nutrition on my dime?

badmoon692008 and kangasj like this.
  13. CausticYarn

Were you always this unempathetic, or do you just hate poor people? :D

Special considerations will jack up the price.

14. CausticYarn

How are you going to weed the fat people out?

It isn’t just your dime - poor people pay taxes too :)

And just like I don’t get to decide that my money doesn’t get to fund Wallstreet bailouts, corrupt political deals, and unending war - you don’t get to decide what the fatties eat either.

I personally don’t want to give one cent to the fucking government and would rather help people locally. But this is the shit deal we get, and dehumanizing people never works.

15. nigel smith

Honestly, after seeing real poverty in other parts of the world, I'm forced to say that there are few truly poor people in this country. Again, no one should starve in america. Give anyone who asks a regular ration of basic food staples, without even checking financial means. I begrudge no one a bag of potatoes and a block of cheese.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  16. nigel smith

What could be more dehumanizing than being fed by your betters like human chattel?

17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Meh.....walk a mile in my shoes...............But to answer your question NAH I'm an equal opportunity hater of all.

As for the 'special considerations', I'm confident that that number will be a lower percentage than you're thinking so it shouldn't be too bad. Just in case you missed it, though, I also made it clear that this alternate IDEA that they are entertaining NEEDS to be a lot cheaper, wouldn't make sense to change things if we're only talking about a few percent savings.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Those being fed don't know they're chattel.

They think they're "entitled".

19. CausticYarn

Being told that someone who makes more money is better than you.

Also being given a box of food with out choice as to what is in it: much like we feed animals.

Those are pretty dehumanizing.

20. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

That’s just it, though ... the goal is not to have them like it. At least not enough to be content staying on it. Make sure they get the basic sustenance, but incentivize them to improve their condition and gain control of what they choose to eat. Isn’t it??