1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RVs, but not the kind Broome likes

Discussion in 'General' started by Kurlon, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope. Well, other than Cali where everyone has to.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Blue Junk,

I live about 100 miles from Apple Valley, not sure where you are from? If that is one you are serious about and don't feel like flying all the way out here, I could be your eyes and report back to you some weekend, before you fly out to see it.

I'm not an expert, but am mechanically inclined.

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

quick google for available van configs... looks like a 5.3 or 6.0 with a 4L80e (if not a diesel). Pics show a WH logo on fender.
    At least its been driven and appears to be clean!

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I can go look at it for you, if you like. It that isn't a typo, that is a lot of miles for a RV. I actually think I would rather have the Chevy vs. the common Ford V10 problems and front end issues?

panthercity and TurboBlew like this.
  6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

'cording to the brochures I can find, the 07 Fun Mover 31C and 31D with a Chevy powertrain are sporting a 6.0L gas engine, 4L85E transmission. The Ford and Chevy versions of the unit for that year have the same GVWR of 14,050lbs but the Chevy has a lower GCWR of 17,000 vs 20,000.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On any of those look at the weight ratings and the weight of the rig with normal stuff in it - water/food/clothing/gear. You can tap out a single axle dually really quickly without even being able to tow anything.

panthercity and 5axis like this.
  8. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

not the least bit Broome-ish but picked up another GMC recently. mostly original w/74,ooo. fresh trans., brakes, Honda EV6010 genset.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      361 KB
      Views:
    TurboBlew likes this.
  9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

That needs to be painted matte black with Tron style electroluminescent pin-striping.

Funkm05 likes this.
  10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

And you can't go by the RV converter's weight numbers. The unladen weight is calculated with only the base model. Everything added above that decreases what YOU can put in.

11. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

its Imron and in pretty good condition. not sure how to go about getting a shine back out of it yet but plan to remove whats left of the stripes it had. the rims polished out nice.

ever seen the Class A Motorhome Land Speed record holder? I think he got it upto 140mph this year

Attached Files:

5axis and panthercity like this.
  12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I dont know... as a kid I remember the Barbie motorhome that looked like that. Its neat just not for me.

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

As much as I like that 07 I found, I think the logistics are going to make it not viable. A week off from work, flight from Maine to Cali, and then 5 days of driving + $1000 in gas just doesn't seem like a good idea. Back on the hunt.

14. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

you didnt play with hotwheels? lol I never thought much about them until I saw what a vintage racer had done with one at the mitty one year. he explained them to me, had no idea how well made they were or that they were the only motorhome an auto manufacturer ever made completely in house. aluminum frame & skin body designed by Boeing, etc., etc.

according to the guy that runs the registry for them, there is still over 9000 on the road today! this one I plan to keep mostly original, you wouldnt believe how nice the real wood cabinets are. I still cant, the fronts were made from the same solid chunk of wood and all the grain lines up, also dovetailed together and branded with GMC inside each drawer. even the kitchen sink has a GMC part number!

this one Im customizing into a toy hauler by making the back hatch into a ramp door. definitely a Big money pit/project.

Attached Files:

TurboBlew, panthercity and 5axis like this.
  15. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

Shoot there not cheap anymore, I’ve been for a class b for quiet a while. Even the nice early 90s models are pulling 10,15 grand plus easily providing there in good shape. I myself love the dodge versions. All three actually, ford dodge and Chevy. If I was him I would buy a conversion or cargo van and build it out exactly like I want it. The regular conversion and cargo vans can be found cheap but not nearly as cheap as they was going for 5 years ago. There’s a lot of people that enjoy living in the things.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Cheap compared to a $100k pusher or $80k Sprinter.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep!!!

18. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

We had one in this winter for some service. Guy had fully built the 455 Olds with Edelbrock aluminum heads and intake, MSD ignition, custom fuel injection, headers, Calles crank etc. Was putting out just shy of 700hp. I have a couple pics but they are to big to attach. Guy said it would some the front tire through 3rd gear.

19. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Current candidate is a 2006 Fun Mover 31C. Generator is out as it doesn't want to run. Suspect electrical fault in either the control board or voltage regulator as the mechanicals check out OK. One fender skirt is busted, I can see an exposed plywood end so suspect a little water ingress there. Awning removed as one arm was damaged in wind. Brakes and tires are two years old, hot water tank replaced this year. Liftgate on back. Owned by another racer, currently in use but looking to move to a larger unit. What should I be looking out for?

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Also, seeing a few units sporting Banks or Five Star Tuning reflashes, do those really do much or should they be treated as a warning sign of a unit to avoid?