1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RVs, but not the kind Broome likes

Discussion in 'General' started by Kurlon, Jan 29, 2016.

1. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

You should call it "The Horny Roman"

Gladiator.

:D

Kurlon likes this.
  2. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Here's what I did on our current Super C. Removed the glass in one cabinet door.
    IMG_1249.jpg

Replaced it with stamped metal for air circulation.
    IMG_1248.jpg

Installed Jenson AM/FM/CD/DVD/BT/USB unit.

IMG_1247.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Sabre699 likes this.
  3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

The Jensen is a 12 volt unit powered by the coach batteries.

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to put in an AMP-L-Start or the smaller TRK-L-Start, that way the van batt gets charged when the house converter is active.

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Nice, Ford V10 or what?

6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Yup, 6.8L 2v gas guzzling torque-o-matic. I kinda want one in a small car now, has anyone shoved one into a Miata yet?

7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I was actually impressed with mine. I never understood how my 30' class A got better fuel economy pulling my trailer than my Tundra did.

It makes no sense. It's three times the size, double the weight, and about as aerodynamic as a sheet of plywood, yet got 1-3 miles more to a gallon pulling the exact same trailer.

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, dunno why I got all hung up on having to find exact replacements for the bar lock buttons, I instead got a couple stick on wall protectors that stop doorknobs from going through your sheetrock and put those on the door itself where the bar was starting to wear in. If those hold up I'll be happy.

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

First weekend at the track, literally the middle of nowhere Maine off a logging road. (Supermoto is fun!) Having icecream after dinner, and a hot shower before bed, GLORIOUS. Did discover my house batt is just about shot, two hours of just running the fridge/propane monitor and nothing else and it was nearly drained so ran the generator all night. And yes, the fridge was switched to propane and the anti-condensation door heater turned off so it should have been sipping power. This is the only place I expect to not have access to shore power though so not a deal breaker. I'm also parked away from others with the generator on the far side of the site to minimize noise for others. Speaking of a shower, the hot water in this thing is impressive, had I not reacted quickly enough I'd be 15lbs lighter from having my skin melted off. They're not kidding whey they put those warnings in the book.

panthercity likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh hell, I'm glad you posted that, our water heater is out and I totally forgot. Not good since we're heading out Thursday for 11 days :eek:

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

You might want to fix that. :D

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah really. The cold shower at VIR was not pleasant - although it was better than walking the 100' or so to the shower house in the paddock :crackup:

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I still don't get how no one, not even Ford dealers have PCV valves on hand for their trucks...

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Coil and plug replaced on #4, purrs like a kitten now. House batt proceeded to spew acid everywhere so it's been yanked, got the replacement ready to go in this evening after I clean things up. 2nd weekend with the rig went mostly problem free, other than the ramp door top extrusion moving around, requiring hammer time to get the door to close. I'll be popping that off and trimming the wood for now, planning a full rebuild for later.

panthercity likes this.
  15. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and get a few extra coils and keep in the RV....along with a good obd reader like this, to run scans and a whole lot more via bluetooth....https://www.bluedriver.com/

I have an Excursion with 2 valve V10....i've replaced 5 of 10 so far... Replaced #2 last week.

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I've got a code reader already, will get some coils next I suppose.

Meanwhile I've got to figure out winter storage. The local RV place I had initially planned to use for storage has decided they're no longer doing that. Bah. I also need to settle on how I want to deal with the roof. It's a EPDM roof, white is wearing off in a couple spots revealing the raw black rubber underneath. No leaks yet. Prior owner advised it needed to be coated, local RV shop says it needs to be ripped up and replaced. As you can imagine, the cost differential between those two extremes is pretty large... I've also seen a couple spray on options that claim to be permanent, no maint solutions, essentially look like a white rhino lining? I kinda like the idea of a 12 year warranty, no maint option but haven't seen a cost estimate yet.

17. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Found storage, twice what I was planning but it's indoors, heated, with a power drop to keep the batts happy, and no fixed entry and exit dates so... I can't really complain much.

Put in a pair of group 27 house batts, and at some point need to go wire chasing to see how much I can rip out underneath. There are TWO separator solenoids between the house and chassis batts, each with their own separate emergency start button in the cab... The second button was put in by the RV dealer 'cause they couldn't find the first to show the new owner... I didn't realize they put in a full solenoid with it?!