1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RVs, but not the kind Broome likes

Discussion in 'General' started by Kurlon, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'm currently toting a 6x10 enclosed utility trailer behind a Toyota Highlander. The trailer has a power entrance and AC unit, side door, one Pitbull TRS and a wheel chock. When I get to where I'm going the bike(s) and gear comes out, a cot goes in and it's home sweet home for the weekend.

I'm finding I'm lazy. I don't wanna unload, setup the cot, inflate the mattress, blah blah blah just to call it a night. When it's time to pack up I don't want to deal with the mattress, deal with the cot, etc before I can toss the bikes and gear totes in. I can't go up in trailer size as I'm dealing with a 3500lb tow limit. I'm also not keen to continue to sleep where I just had a two stroke potentially drooling C12 and other fun...

So, I want an RV to tow with instead of my HiHy. But I don't want a big one as I don't have much room to move it around or park it at my house. I want something that has as much storage space as my HiHy, with a bed that can stay made and ready to go. Bathroom is optional as most places I go have some facilities even if it's a porta-potty. What's the shortest wheelbase option out there that isn't a van with an overstuffed bench for a bed?

2. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Budget?

3. I just wanted to say HiHy. :D

backbone and jt21 like this.
  4. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Why not a cargo van?

vdub 2.0 likes this.
  5. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

chinook used to make one that was on a dually van chassis that was pretty short. V10 SWB drawbacks were entrance door was on the rear but you could still get in out of the drivers and passenger doors if needed. could be parked in a normal parking space but much larger than a conversion van.

might be worth a look.

6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

7. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

A friend that used to race looked at all he could for small ones, he ended up with a little 13-14 footer, had a fridge and little kitchen but you had to be unloaded to put the bed down. I don't think you'll find anything that small with a fixed bed.

9. You won't. When i first went toy hauler looking, the main thing i wanted was to be able to stop and climb in the bed without unloading anything or having to fold the bed down out of the wall or anything. I wanted an actual bedroom. And you have to get into the 20-something feet ones before you get that, if not bigger in some cases.

I also wanted a full garage. Not a garage/living room or garage/kitchen. The smallest one i found that had the full size bedroom i wanted with cabinets and closets and shit, plus a 10' garage was a 32'. I ended up with a 41', but then you are still stuck with just a 10' garage. Hence the RV/trailer combo.

jt21 likes this.
  10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

11. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

12. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Correct, I've got a 3500lb tow rating, and my gear + FZR + motard in the 6x10 gets me about as loaded as I want to be with my lil SUV.

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Check out a class B rv van. It's basically a super conversion van. They make Sprinter versions but they'll be expensive. You'll want one made from a ford or Chevy van. They depreciate like dodge neons so you can pick one up cheap. And since they're the same chassis as a bigger rv but without all the extra weight, you can still tow quite a bit.

16. joec

joec brace yourself

Build your own..branson style, dude.

17. jschuster2

jschuster2 Well-Known Member

18. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Dude get a used Penske box van and build your own exactly how you want it.

They pull trailers just fine also.

I've got a 2004 e350 and it's got 200k on it and we built our own.

19. You know those things that people pull that are basically flat, then when you get to where you are going they expand? I dont know what they are called. I have never actually seen one up close in real life, but ive seen them going down the highway. I always thought they were cool because they are like a Transformer.

It looks like they are just pulling a flat box or something, then it transforms into a living place. Do they make those that are "hollow" in the middle so you can pull a bike into it like a trailer? Or is the ceiling too low for that before they transform? And do they transform automatically by pushing a button?

How cool would it be to have one of those that you could pull a bike up into, then when you get there you push a button and it starts making the sounds like Transformers do when they change, and boom...you have a big RV Robot with a bike in its stomach. :D

Shit. Now i want one.

slowzx6 likes this.
  20. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

Have you been drinking Mt. Dew and MR-12 with Grim?

badmoon692008 likes this.