1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rule proposals for 2007

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by lizard84, Oct 19, 2006.

1. charles

charles The Transporter

Okat...then how about hot GREEN with lace and eight inch boots, adorned
    with reed valves?:up:

2. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

Transporter - I think you and Scott have been watching a little too much "Skinemax" channel late at night. Turn that TV off and get to work out in the shop.;)

3. charles

charles The Transporter

Oh...okay, Jim, sorry, well then, no reed valves! Is that better?

4. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Well-Known Member

I know I'm late to this thread, but...

Instead of allowing more displacement in F500 for four strokes (upping the ante in the arms race), why not put restrictions on the RDs? Limit the carb size, for example. Limit the RD400 to 30mm roundslide carbs and the RD350 to 32mm carbs. If that's too much, say stock carbs, but allow them to be bored.

IMO, this will reduce the cost of developing these bikes AND make them more reliable AND get more people out to race who don't want to spend $bazillions trying to get 70hp out of a rd400.

And I race a RD400...

5. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

So whats the current problem with RD's? :down: (except for whining 4 stroke riders?) :Poke: feel free to put 30's on your bike... :up: Look at lap times before you jump to Bobs aid....

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  6. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Well-Known Member

Not jumping to anyone's aid.
    Percieved HP wars in a class tends to discourage new riders from joining a class.
    Even 65hp out of a RD400 is a ton of power for those old bikes.

7. charles

charles The Transporter

Well, I don't think one has to spend all that much money to "get 70HP" out of an RD, nor do you have to get 70HP from an RD to have fun, compete, or
    win (or all three, each exclusive of the other if you so desire). In good faith I say that the bike ridden by Mark Morrow in this year's F500 GNF- and he won
    that race- did NOT put out 70 HP. Nor did Buff Harsh's Honda CB350 that hounded Mark all the way to the checkered flag. There is no arms race going on. What there is is a 'rider's race' going on, with skill accounting for as much if not even more that pure HP. Tim proved it at Barber racing Chris Spargo,
    both very talented riders on two very different bikes. Competition in the F500
    (or MotoFormula500) class is keen, and interesting, so bring out the all the HP you want, but bring your skill, because that's what is needed to win races
    no matter what you ride.

8. hinshaw929

I think that cow is already out of the barn in F500. :D

9. Yamaha Fan

There fixed it for you :D:

10. charles

charles The Transporter

Damn- you dog! I KNEW you were involved in farming!!!:D
    Regarding interest of new riders in a class, I would tend to
    think that such interest is stoked by bigger grids, keen
    competition, and great bikes...once again, at least as it
    pertains to the Yam RD, it is not all that expensive to
    field a competitive RD.

11. Yamaha Fan

There is a class for anyone that wants to run a limited mod RD, V-2

Rd400's are legal in SS trim........ so it is about as cheap as you can get and should be very competitive..

12. charles

charles The Transporter

Why don't we throw out some dollar figures here so everyone sees what the deal is: we can say, 'inexpensive' or 'moderate cost' or 'cheap', but what exactly are we saying? Some folks have more moolah than others, so everything is 'inexpensive.'

As alll this relates to rule changes for 2007, the topic, I say leave F500 alone with the exception of Mongo considering more CC's for the 4-strokes...

13. hinshaw929

I agree up to a point - "Mark the Bike" won that race based on his riding skill AND the fact that he was riding an RD with a stronger motor than his 350. On his 350 I think he would have lost that race. How much help more HP gives is track dependent. Road A loves HP - the main reason the Kawi goes well there. Talladega is a whole different story - the superior handling of a well set up RD negates any HP advantage. More HP is a way for a slow rider , like myself, to even the playing field against someone like "Mark the Bike" or "Evil Bob" but it only works at the tracks where you can make full use of it.

Am I going to spend this winter looking for more power ? You bet - and I suspect I will not be alone - but I'll be concentrating even harder on a better handling package because I think you gain more in handling than you do in more a powerfull engine.

Buff's Honda proves my point. I think its safe to say he was down on power to all of the top two strokes but even at a track like Road A that rewards HP Mark was the only one that had anything for him. I suspect that Honda was the best handling and most completely developed package on the track by far.(It goes without saying that he's also one helluva rider.)

14. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

i agree v2 is your class if want to run the most affordable setup on a rd.

formula and superbike classes will always be more expensive than super sport and super stock classes. having said that its not that much more to have a set of pipes made and cyls ported for a fast rd or h1. bumping a gs 450 to a 555 isnt going to brake the bank either, and trust me my bank is pinkish and has a round snout!:)

15. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

:tut:

You bipolar thinking wears thin, pull your dress back down over your head so you can see. Your doing the whining around here, I only asked Sean for the same amount of displacement that a single cam 4 stroke four already is allowed for my twin.

Your chosen machine weighs a lot less and makes a lot more power so it pulls harder & stops better.

Yea, look at the laps times all you want. You would be looking at me doing 46's if I loved RD's like I do my little GS

So sue me, I can ride...

16. charles

charles The Transporter

17. phantom 309

phantom 309 Well-Known Member

You are so very correct.I'll take a good handling bike over hp any day.

18. Yamaha Fan

What so now your upset because I make better choices? ;)

If your seeing a dress you must be looking in a mirror.. :p

wow a bit sensitive arn't we... I mean I did put a :Poke: in there on the whining part... and I directed it at 4-stoke riders (in general)... I guess you must be feeling guilty :)

#156 Well-Known Member

Mongo can i run my seca 550 in f-500 next year ? I only put out 60 hp {you can dyno if you like} and my bike damn sure don't handle as good as good bob's. Don't penalize me for being a good rider. Unless good bob is scared !!!!! Seems like everytime i ask, somebody is scared of me. Thanks.:D

20. Yamaha Fan

RIF

http://www.wera.com/pages/rulebook.htm#ch11

The rivlary between Bob and myself goes back and it is friendly... always some fun poking... where do you fit in? why/how do you have a dog in this fight? as I said get a F-500 bike and come on out... Your riding skills should put you at the front on any well prepared bike

Ohhh and congratulations on your championship Wayne, although we have never really officially met I guess this is some sort of introduction..:D best of luck next year... most people work on repeating in the class they won a championship in or even conquering their bump up class:up:,,, sort of a novel approach to seek to move/ conquer a class two down from your current class:confused:... good luck with it! hey for you it should be a cake walk... :beer: You know you could always start a V-4 rules thread….:up:

BTW how long is your chain? Or should I ask if hand puppet surgery is painful? :D

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006