1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race tires that work without warmers

Discussion in 'General' started by Jeff McKinney, May 17, 2016.

1. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I normally avoid going north, but this may be a worthy cause.

VFR#52 likes this.
  2. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Me 2nd from right,and the bike,Jan or Feb 1986,Savannah.

Attached Files:

VFR#52 likes this.
  3. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Not just AHRMA.

From the USCRA rulebook:
    "The use of tire warmers is permitted for Modern125/250GP and Period IV ONLY.

VFR#52 likes this.
  4. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Stick, how is the new Bridgestone S21? Seems like maybe a good trackday/street compromise? And on a DOT is there any benefit to using warmers at the track? My Versys still has the 003s on it I got from you and I imagine they would be an OK trackday tire sans warmers.

And Mr Ulrich, thanks for the common sense. I am an AHRMA member/racer and totally disagree w/their warmer policy. In fact, a letter to Cindy is in order. All of you WERA/AHRMA members do the same.
    And JU, how about an editorial in RRW on said subject? It shouldn't take a racer getting seriously injured or worse to have rules that promote safety. AHRMA should be called on this. Bad enough there are no practice sessions at Barber on race days. Let's see, first lap of your race at the Barber V Finals: cold tires, cold brain, no diaper...

VFR#52 and Gorilla George like this.
  5. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Sorry Morris, I'm not doing any editorials about AHRMA's tire warmer or practice policies; the few times I have raced with them I rode my 2001 TZ250 in a class that let me use tire warmers, and I had fun.

And yes, as explained in a recent issue of Roadracing World, the S21 is a good hypersport tire.