1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race tires that work without warmers

Discussion in 'General' started by Jeff McKinney, May 17, 2016.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Last year I used rosso II's on a ex500 and really liked them without warmers.....just dont lollygag on the warm up lap.They didnt do very good in 100 degree heat though.....got greasy and would run wide in the corners.

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've never run warmers on my RD400, RZ350, FZR400 or MZ660. But I'm guessing that it doesn't affect the smaller cc motorcycles as much.

Am I wrong...seriously, I don't know. I've never known any other way.

3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I use them on my fzr400.......right or wrong im going to keep using warmers

4. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

We have some DOT's that will work on those sizes without warmers. Let us know if we can help.

TLR67 likes this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

We?

You steal a soul or two, daywalker? :Poke:

6. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Every chance I get

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

The bucket kid asked me what a redhead is tonight...thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster she doesn't remember you. :p

8. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Pirelli's warm up pretty quick, I raced a couple seasons on them without warmers and did Ok, make sure that warm up lap is fast. :)

9. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

All the brands have tire models designed to warm up quickly without using warmers. They call them hypersport tires. Won't give you the quickest lap times but are capable of decent lap times.

However, having raced open-class bikes in the 1970s and 1980s I think tire warmers are one of the greatest inventions ever. I am very happy I no longer have to worry about whether or not the tires are warm enough as I head into Turn One after the start.

I also like modern leathers with armor, modern boots, and modern gloves that don't shred before you finish sliding. I have scars from the days when gloves shredded and boots typically wore through in fast crashes. I also am a big fan of back protectors and full face helmets.

Just sayin'!

10. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

No warmers in AHRMA is the dumbest rule. It's not preserving jack shit. If you want to preserve that era of racing, then don't allow 17" wheels and the like. The skinny 18" Dunlops and Avons heat up quickly for the 60's and 70's GP bikes. The modern tires....not so much.

I raced in the Vintage SBK class a few years back. Almost everyone was on 17" wheels running slicks or race d.o.t. and the first two laps usually sucked.

Jeff, what bike are you running?

If I were going to do it again w/o warmers, I'd run Diablo Supercorsa SP, Power Supersport EVO or Q3's. I did some track days last year on a 1299S Panigale and was pretty impressed with the Supercorsa SP tires.

Jeff McKinney likes this.
  11. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

How do they police the warmers?

Also, you could do a big smokey burnout before each race....won't do shit for the front but it'd be fun! Lol

12. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

The asshole "purist" pitted next to you either rats you out to tech or publicly shames you to the other "purists" in the paddock.

13. joec

joec brace yourself

My Dunlop front Avon rear race tires had no problem sticking enough for me to have my knee on the ground in pretty short order. T5 and the Carousel at summit, t1 at vir, were 2 of my favorite spots. Throw it over, knee on the ground..fun..cb350 gp bike.

14. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Exactly. Those skinny tires heat up much quicker than a 17" slick. Try that on a 450lb vintage superbike on cold tires.

Speaking about Vintage Superbike specifically...the rule is as dumb as the day is long.

15. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

OK let me see if I can help you out here,
    Seeing as I'm probably only person here who does not use them and actually have no need for them.
    On a hot day I just put bike in sun and turn tires about every 20 minutes.
    I get a 5 lb rise on pressure from a cold tire to off track pressures
    I come off track and check pressure to make sure.
    Now not sure about your type of tire, I run Pirelli and have used Bridgestone's since 2010, before that Dunlop's.
    So far they all act the same.
    if your really worried get a temp gun and check temps to make sure your ok in your head.
    People think I'm crazy but so far I see no difference for me.
    I'm cheap and lazy and don't want to cart all extra crap and my 1st lap times are same as guys in run in V7 vintage.
    I started on Komp Ks in 1990. Before they existed.
    so just use temp gun to get track of tire temps while in sun and just spin them around 20 min mark.
    then check them after you come off track and check pressures.
    And I do blast the warm up lap cause that's why they call it a warmup lap. LOL.
    Hope this helps point you in right direction. Any questions just ask.

Steven Isenhower #52

16. Steve, I was really on board with your crazy shit that you post until just now. :Poke:

Robby-Bobby and VFR#52 like this.
  17. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Well it works for me all these yrs.
    Besides man ask a question and as probably only one who can actually answer it with facts. I thought I'd share.
    Lol. Funny as I've never had a problem so why change.
    Now if I had a factory ride with mechanic I'm sure I'd use them.
    But I dont. It's all in your head.
    Besides I've spent many a day practicing at Oak hill chasing other riders at pit out on cold tires so I know what to expect.
    All the great ones did this too.
    Spencer, Wayne, Bubba all practiced on cold tires. So I do too. Lol.

Steven Isenhower #52

18. I'm not going into turn 1 with 20 other guys that have warm tires while I'm on cold tires, it's irresponsible. If I lost the front and took anyone else our because I refused to get heat in my tires I would deserve whats coming. We take enough risks. Warmers mitigate some of that risk.

That being said on days I corner work and am pitted out on track and float corner to corner riding different sessions I run burned up tires with no warmers. I've run like that in the rain.

19. As mentioned, they all will work without warmers. We have been caught out by having some other issues and been late getting stuff ready for back-to-back races and I have went out several times on race tires (DOTs and Slicks) without them being on the warmers. A couple of times I missed my warmup lap and had to go straight to my grid spot on new cold tires with no scrub lap (and still managed to podium, I just had to work really, really hard after the tires came in).

I paid extra attention to throttle application, tried not to too much at once (lean angle + gas or brakes) and gave them a couple of laps to come in. Nobody is setting PB lap times in the first couple of laps because of everyone battling for position. So you can manage to "hold your own" even without the tires being fully up to temp because you can still brake really hard while straight up and down, even if the tires aren't hot...doing so will flex the carcass and make them heat up faster (just make sure you are very deliberate with the brake application, smoothly squeeze the lever to let the tire load up, rather than stabbing at it). So even if you can't trail brake hard or pin the gas coming off apex, you can still push your brake markers and make up time on the brakes while straight up and down.

Do that for a couple of laps, let them come in, then you can start pushing.

20. It is actually a rule? o_O

Yeah, I gotta agree...that is dumb as hell.