1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli tire selection

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Maxtrap

Maxtrap Well known member

If we get the chance to “Guinea Pig” them, we will, and report back. Probably have to order them through our vendor, but haven’t seen any yet. Thanks again!

2. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Sunday at a Putnam track day I was told by a Pirelli rep that my Kramer (SC2 slicks currently) will only take a 180/55 due to clearance issues, and they're not typically in stock so I need to order ahead. Sound correct? Is there usually a Pirelli rep at WERA north central races? Thanks

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

4. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Yes it was Jeff, seemed like a nice guy. OK my next weekend is probably Nelson in June so once I confirm I'll ask Mark Junge if he can have one available there. Are these tires more or less available in the US or should I give several weeks' notice? Thanks Illy!

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Yep they are available, but like I said if a vendor doesn't get a request or have a sales history for a size why would he put it in the trailer?
    Pirelli has the largest range of sizes and compounds in roadracing and a trailer is only so big so...

6. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Yeah I totally get it on not stocking tires that don't usually sell, just wanted an idea on the lead time. Thanks

7. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

2 weeks notice minimum, for it to actually help the vendor ensure you’ll have a tire available.

8. tempestm

tempestm Well-Known Member

You probably already know that you can buy the tires from the trackside vendor in advance of your track date. Then have them mounted that morning.

9. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Yeah I called Mark Junge yesterday since he'll be at the next race I plan to go to (3 weeks out) and he's checking to see if he can get a 180/55 for me. He didn't seem concerned about me pre-paying for it, he said he'd check stock and let me know when he places his order for the weekend. It just figures I have a bike that takes a very specific size tire... Mark did say the Pirellis in general are wider than the comparable Dunlops so it sounds like in a pinch a 180 Dunlop will fit the bike as well, but I'd rather stay with Pirellis for now as Mark said they're more "user friendly" than the Dunlops. They aren't as sensitive to pressure/temp etc. I don't want to get into a tire/politics/religion argument, just passing along Mark's comments.

10. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Spent an inordinate amount of time attempting to sort out Pirelli track day tires. Thanks to this thread I now understand the TD name was replaced with Diablo Supercorsa Trackday SC3. Bike is a KTM Duke 890 R ridden both on track and some on the street. Currently using Power Cup 2s. I’m not unhappy with the Michelins but I like trying other things. I did also use Q4s on a previous R6 but found them a bit sensitive to pressure compared to the PC2. If I understand correctly the SC3 is fine without warmers? I have warmers and don’t mind using them if it helps. Bike has a 180/55-17 rear. Any suggestions as to wear of the SC3 vs. a Power Cup 2?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  11. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

you can run no warmers with the SC3 TD tires but if you have them just use them. less heat cycles is better

12. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Next question: SC3 180/60 vs. 180/55. Some comments here indicate the 180/60 is a better tire. The 890 has plenty of room for the 180/60.
    The 55 is available, while the 60 says it’s on backorder(until tomorrow?). Tracksidetires.com.

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

The 180/60 because of profile, side bite, and it's a newer tire. There's been a 180/55 slick around since 1995, but of course with improvements over the years.

prm likes this.
  14. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

180/60 or 190/60 is even better and everyone I ride with made no setup changes for the 190 and it felt better.

15. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I ordered a front and 180/60 rear SC3. Look forward to giving them a try. I might raise the front a bit as I’ve heard that helps.

16. 392

392 Well-Known Member

We made no changes to my setup when going to the 190/60. I also tested the 125 front which i didn't notice too much of a difference and elected to go back to the 120 fronts.

Bike 19-R6.

17. bitorius

bitorius Active Member

I just went from the Q4 180/55 to Pirelli TD SC3 180/60. These TDs have excellent grip and feel, although sometimes it can be too much feedback for me. Will play with pressure a little this weekend. Just in case someone else was moving from Q5 to TD.

18. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

When it comes to the SC0, SC1, and SC2 rear slicks. do the carcasses have a different stiffness, or just the actual compound? I switched to Pirelli this year and have tried some SC2's and SC1's (at Grattan) I couldn't get a good feeling with the SC2, and it seems to wanna start cupping pretty bad (like when the rebound is too fast) I went 8 clicks slower in the back and it still didn't help. Also tried a lot of different pressures. It felt like I had grip, but it was kind of "numb" For record it was a mild day with a high of 70 degrees.

Tried an SC1 later that same day. Left the rebound at 8 clicks slower, 25psi off the warmers and I loved it. No cupping, tearing, or weird wear, and it seemed to give more of a "planted" feedback. I loved it and ordered 2 more right away (as well as an SC0 to try)

Tried SC2 front and didn't like it at all either. Super numb feeling. SC1 is great. Ordered more of those too.

125/70R17 and 200/65R17 on a ZX10R if anyone is wondering.

EDIT: Never mind.. I actually just went back and read the first post, which basically told me everything I mentioned was a rinse and repeat of the information given in that post. SC1's are the go to for me then. I will hopefully try the SC0 this weekend as well.. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Ok kids, family, racers, and all the others. I have a question for you?
    Can your buns from Europe be any fresher than this?

bun.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    Nathey, Bruce and Chako like this.
  20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Cupping on a tire with no tread pattern, that's not possible from my experience?

ducnut likes this.