1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli tire selection

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 15, 2018.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Never been there, so I don't have any data to share. Was it recently paved or re-paved or something? And I know it's easy to use exaggerations or metaphors when describing tire wear, but I do a lot better with data and facts. You ever get any operating temperature readings? What psi off warmers and off track? Was the tire new when it was "destroyed"? What are your lap times like compared to front running experts?

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

So a super abrasive track in August and in Texas? I see a few issues there, maybe they can install lights like the tracks in the middle east use?

3. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

I'll do my best to gather some real data this weekend when I go. it was paved in 2019 and still looks great. super smooth, super abrasive from the granite being the main aggregate I believe in the pavement.
    Im a mile away from the fastest guys but even they have tire issues and Ive talked with them alot about it. TBH I'm like 10-15s a lap off the front running guys but thats why they're experts and im novice.

4. metricdevilmoto

If you want to do the work, have an IR gun handy. A probe is even better. If John is there, I'm sure he has one. Also, there's much better data with a new tire vs an old one.

Note tire temp and psi on warmer. Note tire temp and psi right off track. Preferably on the meat of the drive side. And I mean right off track. Hot pit. And don't throw away your "cool down" lap if you're using an IR gun. A pit buddy or girlfriend/wife/mistress helps a lot. Note number of laps in the session and lap times. If you log that data, I can try and help.

Alos, all this is taking into consideration you have properly operating warmers running off a good power supply through an adequate extension cord and an accurate (and consistent) tire pressure gauge.

Suzuka_joe likes this.
  5. Seb_97

Seb_97 Member

Any feedback as to why a SC1R would tear in the cold (is it a cold tear?) Does what I posted make sense? I really am hoping to have a better fundamental understanding of tires beyond just "use tire x when cold". Much appreciated!

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Of course, the tires have changed quite a bit (compounds & sizes) since I created this thread 4 years ago. But without knowing the details i.e. what bike, suspension, air pressures, warmers, track temp & air temps previous experience would be that it's not a cold tear but a rear setup that's off a bit.

Oh hell yes!

7. Seb_97

Seb_97 Member

I understand, in that case, I will restructure my tire schedule for this year to run exclusively SC1R and maybe buy some SC0 for those super hot days. If I have any abnormal wear, I'll post on here with some details.

Thanks for your guidance. I'm also on track for some pre-season practice on Saturday but I'll be on SC1F and SC2R scrubs so no real useful data there.

8. metricdevilmoto

If you want to do the work, what I posted above is how you can help me help you.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Now you’re going in the right direction, so forget about that X-Y BS and move forward. You’re racing right so you are looking for performance and lap times!

Fronts Sort out which front you like better from a feel standpoint. Many guys prefer the SC2 in all conditions (firmer feel) except when its freezing cold. So, if you don’t try it, you will never know right?

Rears Start with a SC1 and as I mentioned in post #1 it works almost everywhere. Work to get your setup better and move forward and focus to improve lap times. Then when you are happy with things, and it’s really warm and or the track is greasy try a SC0. And as you go from there experiment with a SC0 in hotter temps and even cooler temps too. You’ll get more comfortable and be able to accomplish what you’re after. Of course, like MDM mentioned above know your suspension setup, that the warmers are hot enough, and hot tire pressures.

Finally, when it’s stinking cold out no matter what you try any tire will lose heat and psi and you will have to learn to ride around the conditions. The last time I looked Kennedy M/S was vending Pirelli and Michelin at Grand Bend, so contact whoever and make sure they have what you need on the truck. And if you need more help, call Kevin at Orion M/S, because he’s the big guy! Have fun.

10. Seb_97

Seb_97 Member

Just had first trackday of the season at Grand Bend. Here's some info:
    Ambient temperature around 14 Celsius. Track about 32 Celsius surface temp, full sun and a bit of wind. Track surface is not abrasive. Bike was a 2009 R6 with Ohlins FGK and TTX running same suspension setup I ran last year. Tires were used SC1F (a bit torn up) and used SC2R (old tire). I ran 36/26psi hot off the warmers which were set to 85 Celsius. PSI hot off the track was 34/24. In hindsight I probably should have run higher pressures on the tires so when they drop a bit, they drop into their optimal pressures.
    Now for some observations:
    The SC1F felt ok; no issues here. The SC2R was a disaster. Tons and tons of slippage not only under power but also on edge grip. I was looking at some telemetry and I was consistently getting on the gas late on corner exit since I didn't trust the edge grip. Saved a high side early in the day which woke me right up.

In conclusion, it seems like the setup to run will be SC1F/SC1R on cooler/mild days. On hotter days, I think SC2F/SC0R will make the most sense.

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Remember it takes time to go from a green no rubber track to a grippy track especially when it's the early/cooler part of the year.
    And lots of racers run much higher front psi for a firmer feel.

12. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

I see them in front 120/70, 190/60, and 200/60 on the westcoast guy's website. And on the pirelli com website? So send a email to ask

14. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Never seen SC1 "F"? whats the F or R for? I didnt know pirelli sold these abbreviations

I run sc1 front and 180 sc1 rear, on 2017 R6 rear ktech and stock forks. Abrasive track! I run 36.2 front, 21.7 psi rear on warmers, after a session tire psi on the rear will raise to 24.6 psi. Once this happens, the rear begins to step out and spin mid corner. If I drop the psi back to 21.7 in the rear it hooks up fine, maybe you need to drop the psi in the rear more. Once of my buddies also on an r6 dropped his sc1 rear tire hot psi to 20psi, and it worked for him.

Im thinking of running a sc2 front and rear, as my tires will only last a 1.5 trackdays. At the end of the 2nd trackday there cooked and just slide everywhere. It maybe due to my aggressive sprocket gearing, or because the axle is shifted back.

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

For a trackday I think that would be fine and give you more mileage. When my son was racing, the difference between a SC1 and SC2 on the rear was about 1-1.5 seconds per lap.

16. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

likely Front and Rear.

Seb_97 likes this.
  17. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

18. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I think I'm in @metricdevilmoto's region, not in a rush. Just curious how the current TD tire lands.

Iirc, the Supercorsa TD was marketed to sit between the Supercorsa SC3 and the Supercorsa SP, but seems like it's been eliminated and the Supercorsa SC3 is now the TD tire? I saw some pics out there w/ the TD printed on the sidewalls, but then people say that their TD tires came w/ SC3 printed, but there's also still a separate Supercorsa SC3. Are there any differences, despite both being SC3s?

For reference: current listing (date code 2321):

upload_2022-5-9_20-33-3.png

User post from 2020 (printed as SC3):

upload_2022-5-9_20-33-27.png

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  19. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

:) here I am thinking you guys are getting "special tires"

20. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

The TD tire was a NA product only. It was successful and Pirelli wanted to offer it to everyone. So, everyone with a local race tire vendor has access to the SC3, which has replaced the TD.