1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli tire selection

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 15, 2018.

1. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I just found this, posted on social media two weeks ago, which matches your statement.

So is this "new" Supercorsa SC3 the same as the old SC V3, or is the old one more track biased since it supposedly sat between the TD and the other SC V3s?

I guess at this point I'm splitting hairs. Pirelli sure doesn't make it easy to decipher.

upload_2022-5-9_21-35-42.png

2. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Rumor has it the 180/55 TD/SC3/whatever theyre called are going to be tough to get?

3. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

180/60 isn't super stocked but the 190/60 is awesome if you can use them

4. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I am more confused than ever lol

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

What is confusing?

6. sharky nrk

^^ the V3/SC3/TD info

Are all three of those products now combined into a single product that is an SC3 compound race tire? Is that the winner if you wanted to pick up a long wearing practice/trackday tire?

7. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

Does anybody even still use 180/55? I thought it was common knowledge quite a few years ago that the 180/60 was much better and not really an issue to switch over in almost any application. I Pirelli phased out the availability of 180/55 a long time ago LOL!

8. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

The 190/60 doesn't exist in the SC3/TD, but does as a SC3 slick. Similarly I don't think the 180/55 exists as SC3 slick but does as a TD?

9. metricdevilmoto

How you checked pressure off the track is relevant. Right off the track is useful. At your pits after putting the bike on a stand is less useful. That makes that 2psi drop more or less important. And be careful with that line of thinking; a tire run at higher pressures may lose even more with everything else being equal because the tire is flexing less and you may minimize or eliminate loss by starting with a lower pressure and allowing the tire to flex more, which generates more heat. This is why temperatures are so important. 85ºC is a bit lower than I'd like to see warmers and you don't have actual data from the tire itself, which means the tire itself may have also not been at 85ºC and we have no idea what the temperature of the tire was when you were checking pressure.

Your conclusion is most likely correct, but SC1 and SC0 rears won't suffer through inaccuracies as well as an SC2 rear will.

10. metricdevilmoto

Correct.

V3 is version 3. It's not a tire; it's a generation of tire. The DOT SC3 is the TD, but named consistent with the Pirelli lineup when it became more than a North America exclusive product.

Beyond a certain pace, it will not be "long wearing". If you are practicing for a race, I would suggest that a race tire with some laps on it would be a better choice than that tire. What is your expectation of "long-wearing?"

11. sharky nrk

^^ great questions for clarification, and made me rethink the way I asked the question

I definitely did not mean race practice, more like training practice or track day practice where someone would be a little more abusive to the tire in terms of temperature and pace variance. For example - I go to a track day and I want to focus on a particular sector. I am going to try different things in that sector but the rest of the lap would not be at 9 or 10/10s of my pace. Or even I am going to go and spin laps for endurance fitness at 7 or 8/10s of my pace. In those situations I would have considered a more affordable, more tolerant trackday type tire (RS series with Bridgestone, Q4 in Dunlop, TD or even SP in Pirelli). Is the SC3 the best option for that kind of use?

And what about in a size where I can't get a SC3 (160 section for example). I would normally use a used SC2 for that kind of use in a Pirelli but at times that hasn't seemed the best approach. And in terms of "long-wearing" I would say a tire that can / would last even a couple of training / practice days fitting the description above.

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Whether it's the 180/55 slick, DOT race or trackday it's probably still the lowest volume product sold in North America. And I would guess that trend will continue. But there's a 180/60:Poke:

13. metricdevilmoto

I would argue that if you are working on anything at a race pace, even one section, that would require a race tire. Operating a tire above its intended temperature range will prematurely wear it. In regards to the other tires you listed, I believe the SC3 would be best suited out of those three, but maybe not the best choice overall.

Since you're referencing a 160, I'll assume you're on an SV. I would submit that an SC1 on a well set up SV would not only give you the best outright performance, but also the longevity to do what you're talking about at a reduced pace.

Given the line of questions, I'm assuming you are using a single tire for the entire endurance race? If you're racing with WERA and doing 4 hours, that's usually around 150 laps or so (I know; less at Pitt, more at Summit but it's an easy number to work with). If you're riding every single lap of every single session at a track day, that's generally about 70 laps. Doesn't seem unreasonable to get that kind of usage out of a race rear without compromising much performance, no?

sharky nrk likes this.
  14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

No need for bikes that use this size because they don't chew up tires. And this size is not a big seller worldwide so...

15. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

They make for an amazing endurance tire on the SV, great longevity/wear/grip while retaining some of the nimbleness of a small tire (compared to the 180/60). Switched over to them from the Dunlops mid season, worked amazing. I've had problems in the past with the 180/60 rubbing on my swingarm as well

16. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

Eh? If you want to keep the "nimbleness" for a small bike, just run the 160.
    I endurance race an SV650 and the 160 SC2 tire is perfect for a four hour race. I can usually get the next weekends practice out of it, before putting a new one on for the race.
    My F2 legal only sprint bike (custom frame) uses an SV650 swingarm and runs a 180/60 no problem. I don't see any loss of nimbleness compared to the 160...though that could be becuase the spring bike only weighs 295lbs.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

And in case some didn't notice the range has been extended with more scooter sizes. The range includes 100/80 & 120/80-10 slicks, 100/90 & 120/80-12 slicks and rains along with the Rosso SC DOTs in 100/90 & 120/80 12 sizes. And here's the 2022 data sheet with pressures, specs, & warmer suggestions.

Attached Files:

18. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

the fact that I can put slicks on my zuma is somewhat enticing.

19. Maxtrap

Maxtrap Well known member

Great info. Thank-you. Two questions:
    Has Pirelli updated the graphic you posted four years ago on SC compounds and recommended conditions? That was more race oriented than what I see on their site.
    What is the feedback on the Wet tires? Pacific Northwest sees some mixed conditions that are hell on rains.
    Thanks again!

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

The graphic hasn't change really except it's missing the SCX rears. And the SC0 have evolved a bit so they can work in cooler ambient temps depending on the track surface, of course.

Wets are pretty specialized so not sure what to say here. As mentioned before the conditions have to be almost prefect for them, as in a consistent damp track with no standing water. If I remember correctly the fronts are a SC1 slick compound while the rears have a harder compound in the center and a rain compound on the sides. I would suggest if your vendor has them at the track wait for the right conditions and try them, eh?