1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok, who's the corvette fanatics???

Discussion in 'General' started by XFBO, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Are you 60 yet....?

They don't let you buy one if you aren't over 60...

XFBO and Boman Forklift like this.
  2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Check out a ZL1 Camaro. Team Camaro was apparently out to get respect when the designed the current generation.
    Same 650 HP motor as the current Z06, but cheaper.

XFBO likes this.
  3. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Just have Art Morrison build you a C1 with LS3 power.

4. Theducatiman

Theducatiman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This one!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XFBO, Phl218 and Funkm05 like this.
  5. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has a 2017 Z06, it’s pretty slick other than its yellow with black stripes. Looks a bit like bumblebee.

XFBO likes this.
  6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

C1 - Same price as new, and then some. Prolly not ergonomically friendly, at all.
    C2 - Rides like a truck, but that's where you'll find the split window '63. Again, same money as new.
    C3 - Nice body. Floorboards, tunnel and firewall get uncomfortably hot. Can't really see out of 'em. Prices have been coming up for a while.
    C4 - Nobody wants a C4.
    C5 - Your hidden lights. Looks like a Trans-Am from the front, can't tell if it's a Japanese or American coupe. Prolly last generation to not be suckin' hard on the nanny-state's teat.
    C6 - Has all the lines of the previous generations, base model faster than the previous gen ZO6. Electronic stabilization won't let you drive like you stole it, might even put you in the ditch during inclement weather. I turn the traction control off before I leave the driveway, also cuts the handling electronics in half. A current Porsche 911 has larger exterior dimensions and none of the carrying capacity - unless you're counting booster seats for kids.
    C7 - Can't really speak to those. Might as well be a Cadillac for all it's sharp edges. GM's executive vice president put one in the wall...he supposedly knows how to drive. Ground up remodel, hate the driver's cockpit, how much less can you work on 'em yourself? Will it even let you drive it?

Get a manual transmission...it's not a sportscar if it's an automatic. And check the alignment, first thing.

In the C6, Blose stereo sounds okay, steering wheel audio controls on the front of the wheel sucks cuz you'll hit the buttons palmin' the wheel in turns. CD function will piss you off...never returns to where it stopped when you start up again. HUD is kinda cool but over-rated and not a very good display - I only use it to indicate speed. BUT, it is comfortable, gets great gas mileage and has loads of cargo space. Fuel, oil and tires are your expenses. Insurance doesn't seem to be too bad. If I were to get another, it would be bare bones...screw the option packages. And screw OnStar.
    Prices are good, especially for a manual. LS3 engine is a pretty good start for upgrades, EPA mapping sucks. Would relish puttin' in the LS9 (supercharged). Doesn't handle particularly well in "spirit mode" if it's set up for daily driving (0 toe - saves on tires). If it's set up to handle, you'll chew through tires way too soon, and not cuz you're layin' down the power.

Speaking of tires, Michelin Pilot SuperSport ZP - all season performance run-flats. They're quiet, unlike the Good-Year garbage the C6s and before came with. They get sticky enough after 10-15 minutes on the highway. Any foolin' around before they warm up and you're in the ditch. Imagine how much less useful summer performance tires would be - waitin' for them to get hot before you trot...and having significantly reduced grip in inclement weather. I drive in the winter, in the snow. The C7s come with these. I've been runnin' 'em for ten years.

Based on personal opinion, developed over a course of four decades of sporty car ownership, the older - the better...to a point, no earlier than late-60s. The best bang for my buck is a 2nd gen Camaro. Prices are gettin' insane, tho', worse than a C3's prices - my second choice.
    Screw the new Camaro...front end looks just like their trucks - it's huge. Same with new Mustangs...that's a big car. Hell, screw all the new cars - they won't let you drive 'em...except the Porsches, they want you to drive 'em.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Kyle Brosius and XFBO like this.
  8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow, what build quality, makes me proud to be an American. :confused:

Dodges are known to have suspect quality, but I never had a single issue with my Viper. We owned it for 6 years and only paid for oil changes and fuel, with the added benefit of a cooler looking car you don't see on every corner. Granted it only had 20k miles when I sold it and would need new rear tires pretty soon.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

10. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

You missed one advantage of the C5 over the C6: You can put a trailer hitch on the C5 but not the C6. You get a lot of strange looks when you're loading up building supplies at Menard's on a trailer pulled by a Corvette. (You can also pull a trailer with motorcycles on it, of course).

11. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

12. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

I have a C4, 40th anniversary car ('93) with 32K miles on it. If you get a C4, make sure it's a '92 or newer, that's around when they actually started to make a little power again...

DSCF1166.JPG

XFBO and Banditracer like this.
  13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I agree. Plus Vipers are ridiculous inexpensive to buy, for the performance and exclusivity. I've not driven that newer model, but on our 2nd generation, they can get away from you very easily. No traction control and no ABS. At least it had air conditioning and power windows. The first generation only had 400HP, plastic side windows, and side exit exhaust.

14. Local guy to me gets a new Cayenne GTS every couple years, I see him at Home Depot about once a month chucking crap into it that I’d take more caution in the bed of a truck with. Makes me sad and proud all at the same time.

15. Hard to beat a viper for sheer stupid fun, it’s a senseless car that tries to kill you but that’s what makes it interesting.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. I’ve driven a stock c7 z06 only other Vette I could compare it to was a c5 6. Speed and a c5 z06. It’s a pretty refined car as far as vehicle dynamics, etc. Interor feels like a cheap car but that’s the trade off of performance vs cost and on that base it’s hard to argue with a Z06 as far as value goes. I’m not a big corvette guy but that latest gen z06 in that metallic blue color looks slick and I think the blue understates it a bit which I prefer.

17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

I've owned the dreaded C4 'vette for 15 years. (...waits for the abuse to subside.) Yeah it only has about 250hp for it's 3000+ lbs and only gets 29mpg all day and night. It has required little maintenance and drives just fine. And of course no wimmens in America would want to be seen in one. Just can't seem to part with it though. Good hunting to ya. :D

[​IMG]

Waterboy, Boman Forklift and XFBO like this.
  18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don’t know what the various packages are that are available over the model years on the C7 (I’m not talking about base/z06/zr1) but I see some that are very tasteful, even reminiscent of a front engine Ferrari, and others that are just freaking garish as hell with big black plastic vents and spoilers stuck all over the place.

19. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Wouldn't mind having a 72 C3 Stingray.

Bryar Blue, convertible, with a white top. Love the chrome bumpers on them.

Steeltoe likes this.
  20. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Get a Lingenfelter Corvette!:D